The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 16, 2006, 02:12 PM   #1
hps1

South Texas buck

What started out as a slow week ended with one of my most suspenseful hunts. My coyote hunting partner and I had seen a few bucks early in the week, but not the one I was looking for. Thursday and Friday mornings were foggy, especially Friday.

Friday morning we got to the blind overlooking a roller-chopped pasture about 200 yards wide with a 50 yard native brush strip on the far side, at least it had been there Thursday afternoon; visibility was just 35 yards and the fog held until a bit after 9 AM when it began to slowly lift.

I became aware of a small 8 point buck about 175 yards directly in front of my highchair and played with him using a grunt call. He showed no interest at all but kept looking at a 45 degree angle to me, across the grass field. Shortly thereafter, a wide 8 point came from that direction. I quessed him to be a 125 class buck and tried the grunt call on him. He also showed no interest, but looked back in the direction from which he came. The fog still limited my view, and I settled in to watch the two bucks. The smaller one lay down at the edge of the brush only to get up shortly and both bucks started to walk down a trail at the edge of the strip.

At 9:15 AM, I was scanning the field for any sign of other activity when I stopped to examine a dark green bush protruding about 2 ft. above the top of the knee high grass. Next to the bush a narrow gap about 10 inches separated the bush from a small brush pile about 3 ft wide and same height as the bush. In the gap was what appeared in the light fog to be two very tall tines. I watched for what seemed like an hour, but was only 5 minutes or so, when I detected movement. The bush was about 175 yards out and visibility could have been better, but I decided to try the grunt call to see if I could get the buck to stand up for a better look-see. After numerous attempts, he finally stood up; a quick evaluation came up just a bit short of what I was looking for at about 140. I couldn’t make out his brow tines, but guessed them to be 4” ea. (assuming they were there) and only saw 9 points, but he didn’t stand long, lying down in exactly same position he had occupied earlier.

Knowing that I generally estimate a bit low I decided I would like a better look before making the final decision. My buddy said it is a shame your camera is in the truck, and asked if I would like for him to get it, as the fog had thickened and now we couldn’t even see the bush where the buck was bedded down. The thick fog held for about 30 minutes, during which time the buck could very well have left without being seen. Finally we decided to get the camera and my bud eased out of the blind. While he was gone, the fog lifted enough to see the bush and, yes, the buck was still there.

Just as my friend returned with the camera, a doe, which had thus far remained unseen, stood up about 30 feet from the hidden buck. I motioned to my friend to stop, and when I turned my attention back to the front, the buck had stood up and obviously seen my companion.

I quickly raised the rifle and given the angle he was now standing, saw the 10th point; he also proved to have short brow guards. I knew he wouldn’t stand much longer, guided the crosshairs to the shoulder and shot.

At the shot, the buck ran, as if he had not been hit. I got off a hurried shot just before he reached the brush line and worked the bolt again. The rifle jammed as my buddy said, “He stopped, shoot him again!” I was busy trying to clear the jam when my partner said, “Never mind, he just collapsed.”

Then the work started. The buck fell 200 yards from the nearest road, and you do not want to walk across a roller-chopped field in knee deep grass, let alone drive in it. The mesquite stubble is invisible in the high grass and the 6” to 10” long spears will destroy a set of tires before you go 50 yards. I have about 100 yards of rope and winch line we thought about using but finally opted to call a ranch hand to bring a horse to drag the buck out. He brought his son instead, and the four of us managed to drag the buck to the road with only 3 stops to catch my breath.

The buck weighed 200# (live weight) and scored 149.6. Next year, will have a snatch block and a bit more rope, I’m getting too old for this dragging bit!

Now we can get back to some serious predator hunting.

Old December 17, 2006, 12:01 AM   #2
Capp35

Nice story and a great buck!
Old December 17, 2006, 12:05 AM   #3
Eghad

Nice!

Could you send me some backstrap please.

NRA Life Member
Old December 17, 2006, 12:05 AM   #4
hoghunting

Congratulations on a very nice buck. Good shooting and thanks for sharing your pictures. I haven't seen one that size yet this season.
Old December 17, 2006, 12:12 AM   #5
springmom

Congratulations! A great buck. Thanks for sharing the story (gives me hope for next week....)

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old December 17, 2006, 12:20 AM   #6
Fremmer

Great post! I really like the details about the terrain and weather.

You did well staying patient until the right moment to take the shot. Oh yeah, I forgot to say: good shot, and nice buck!
Old December 17, 2006, 03:39 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

That is outstanding; congrats. Wonder if you could shoot one of those for me with a tranquilizer so I can buy it from you and transplant that gene line to my local deer - those are some big antlers.
Old December 18, 2006, 08:46 PM   #8
hps1

Quote:
Wonder if you could shoot one of those for me with a tranquilizer so I can buy it from you and transplant that gene line to my local deer - those are some big antlers.
FF: There are some nice bucks on this ranch, apparently with two differents genetic traits; one group has very wide racks, but short tines as the one on the left, and the other has narrower racks but much longer tines as the buck on the right. Sure wish they would cross-breed a bit.....
By the way, been wondering, what state is the toll road state?

Quote:
(gives me hope for next week....)
Springmom: You going to get after them with the .44 mag this week? Hope you get some cooler weather; been unseasonably warm this year.

Still a lot of yearlings with the does and some smaller groups of bucks still hanging out together down here.

Regards,
hps
Old December 18, 2006, 09:55 PM   #9
FirstFreedom

I like the tall tines! Bring em on.
Old December 18, 2006, 10:36 PM   #10
wun_8_seven

Quote:
By the way, been wondering, what state is the toll road state?
that would be oklahoma
Old December 19, 2006, 07:11 PM   #11
castnblast

What county are you in? Great deer! I have yet to see anything near that. I saw a 10 point during archery season that wouldn't give me a good shot. My freezer is empty except for a hog that was killed on the local golf course , and part of a hog I let a guest shoot up at my lease. Congrats on a great deer!
Old December 19, 2006, 11:17 PM   #12
hps1

Quote:
that would be oklahoma
Thanks 187.

Quote:
What county are you in? I have yet to see anything near that.
Hidalgo County. I haven't seen much evidence of the rut yet. Still lots of does & yearlings together and bucks still in groups. Looks like a fair norther due next week, might get things started. Good luck in filling your freezer.

Regards,
hps
Old December 20, 2006, 11:32 PM   #13
springmom

I took the .243 out earlier this week because we were thinking we'd hunt over a meadow, but the deer were most uncooperative. And then we ended up back in I-can-see-for-all-of-three-feet brush country wishing I *did* have that .44mag instead of that honkin' big rifle. Stupid barrel was most useful for pushing brush out of the way....

Back to the .44 next week, after Christmas. For now, I need to be good and work on choir stuff.

Springmom, who'd rather be hunting....

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun