The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 16, 2005, 07:08 PM   #1
Wildalaska

The Lost Rivers Are Here!

Two flavours...

120 grain 6.5 Boat tails and

165 grain 30 cals

Supposedly the ne plus ultra in hunting bullets...

Even with my dealer discount...over a buck a pop!

Their data with 6.5x55 is 2800 with IMR4350....I think I can get this easy!

Gonna load just three tonight to fire off a group...then switch to 120 grain Accubonds for development with different powders.....

Cat wait to the the 308s in the H&H

WildhappydanceAlaska
Old September 17, 2005, 09:24 PM   #2
Dave R

I can't wait for your range report to see how bullets that cost a buck a pop perform. I'm so cheap I get sweaty if I have to pay over 20 cents a bullet.
Old September 17, 2005, 10:24 PM   #3
Wildalaska

dave I went to work early just to plug numbers into quick load....

First thing am off to get the chrony set up and see what shoots up!

I think Ill post a pic of the round later

Hope it shoots

WildnervousAlaska
Old September 18, 2005, 04:43 PM   #4
Dave R

Quote:
Hope it shoots
Oh, I'm quite sure it will shoot

The only question is how well. Looking forward to your report & pix of the ne plus ultra.
Old September 18, 2005, 07:28 PM   #5
Wildalaska

OK preliminaries... CAUTION CLOSE TO MAX LOADS IN THIS POST

At the presentt time my rilfe has a tendency to toss fliers.....it has never been bedded and I think my trigger needs to be just set a little lighter...also I am using a crappy scope (Simmons)....in addition it has a light barrel that tends to copper up....

As it was made for the Euro market in the 60s, i tend to think that it was designed to shoot the big 160s with hard jackets (like a Norma Alaskan load..I have some of those coming)...that i think is the cause of the fouling.....after five shots its pretty coppered....also it has a very long throat, I dont think im gonna be able to get close to the lands and still have some bullet to seat :0...add to that a big chamber (its basically close to military in dimensions) and i can see where the fliers could be coming from...a lighter trigger is next step, put a Leupold on, and use some fire formed cases for the next round

Which is OK of course in a hunting rifle (hey what difference does a flier on the fifth shot anyway ), but makes it a bit harder for load development...

All things being considered therefore... I am pretty happy. I shot 40 assorted rounds today of various loadings, all of them were run through quickload first.

I only shot 3 Lost rivers (Im gonna be very chintzy with them :0)...I used 42 grains IMR 4350 (Lost Rivers max is 42.5, they predict 2800 fps)...Quickload predicted 2656 at 38388 psi..I got 2855 with an ES of 10.2! I think its a warm load, but I think I have room for 1/2 grain. Seating depth will remain the samme with an OAL of 2.245...this load gace me a vertical triangular 1.5 inch group, with shots 1 and 2 going into an inch veritcal and shot 3 at 1/2 in low...shots 1and 3 were therefore 1/2 inch apart.

Best group was a nice circular one inch 130 TSX load with RL 19, with a called flier on the fifth shot.

The Lost Rivers are either gonna be good off the bat or will need work. My friend shot three shots touching with his 243 using Lost rivers, in his 300 H&H looked like a shotgun.....

More work to do...

WilditsfunAlaska