The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 21, 2016, 10:12 AM   #1
King453

Help choosing caliber for honeymoon elk

Hello,
I am planning a honeymoon trip with my future wife to Montana to hunt elk. I had the idea that we should both purchase new bolt rifles for the trip, as kind of a wedding gift for each other, and something that will last forever. I am struggling to choose an appropriate caliber for each of us to purchase our rifles in. We are both from Upstate / Northern NY and are avid whitetail hunters. The rifles will obviously need to be adequate for elk, but I don't want to purchase anything too large for whitetail. If I am spending a large amount of money on these rifles, I want them to be able to use them predominantly for NY deer hunting, in hardwoods, with shots typically under 200 yards. I have been looking at 30-06, 300 WSM and 300 WIN MAG so far. I would really appreciate any insights you guys (or girls) may have for me. I wouldn't mind a long-action gun for myself, but I am really thinking my future wife would benefit more from a short action. She is of smaller stature, and would be much more likely to use and enjoy the rifle if it was smaller, lighter, with manageable recoil. I don't believe she needs anything too small, she currently uses a 30-06, and can shoot it accurately with the given recoil. Thank you in advance for your advice, I really appreciate it.
Old September 21, 2016, 10:36 AM   #2
kraigwy

Never thought of getting married so I'd have an excuse for buying a new gun, but hey, what ever works.

The '06 would be more then enough rifle for elk any where. I personally use a 270 Win. and it works quite well for me.

Plus, as you indicated, it would be more practical for those little eastern deer the those 300 Magnums.

Congrats of you upcoming wedding and good luck with your hunt.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 21, 2016, 10:44 AM   #3
reinert

Congrats! What a deal of a wapiti honeymoon! Just to say, +1 on post #2. The '06 is never a mistake.
Old September 21, 2016, 10:45 AM   #4
taylorce1

Hey welcome to the TFL, and Best Wishes on your marriage!

I don't know what style of rifle's you and your future misses are into nor your budget. On the top end of non customs for lightweight hunting rifles, I'd be looking at Kimber Montana rifles in 6.5 CM, 7mm-08 Rem, and .308 Win. Any rifle in these cartridges with todays bullets are more than adequate for elk. Other than that take a serious look at the Winchester M70 FWT compact, Savage Light Weight Hunter or Lady Hunter rifles for your bride to be.

On long action rifles I'd look at similar types of rifles as I mentioned above. I'd stick to .270, .280 Rem, .280 AI, or .30-06, simply because they are more than adequate for elk and still good deer rifles. For an occasional elk hunt but the majority of the time a deer rifle a .300 WSM/Win Mag just simply isn't called for.
Old September 21, 2016, 11:09 AM   #5
FITASC

30-06 or 7mm mag will both a great job on elk, and loaded down bullet weight-wise will be awesome on your NY whitetail.
Honeymoon in MT, first year anniversary in WY, 2nd in CO, 3rd in ...............

Congrats and have fun!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 21, 2016, 11:13 AM   #6
King453

Thanks for the input! I've never had any experience with elk, so I guess I made the incorrect assumption I needed some kind of magnum, high velocity round. If you say 30-06 is plenty of gun, I would definitely prefer that, or a 308, especially for her. What would be my adequate range for these rounds? I am not yet sure of what I want for rifles. I don't really know exactly what my budget will be, probably should plan the weddinge first haha, it will probably be a ways out yet, a year or so. But I am definitely looking for something higher end. I would love a Montana, I have also been looking into a Weatherby mark 5 for myself. Has anyone had any experience with the women's Weatherby Camilla rifle? My top choice would be a set of H-S Precision rifles...
Old September 21, 2016, 12:12 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

As near as I can tell from years of reading posts, most elk are killed within 300 yards. Generally, anything from 7mm08 on up works just fine. Probably, the majority of kills are with .308 and '06, from what I've read here and at THR. Next, probably, the .300 WinMag and the 7mm RemMag.

It's more about the hunter's skill at shooting than it is about the cartridge.
Old September 21, 2016, 12:23 PM   #8
King453

Taylorce1-
Do you own a 280 Ackley? How does it compare to a 280 Remington? I'm pretty unfamiliar with the cartridge, other than Google knowledge. I kind of like the idea of something a little less common. Do you know who makes rifles chambered in this cartridge?
Thanks.
Old September 21, 2016, 12:28 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...don't want to purchase anything..." The .300 Win Mag is too large for deer. No game in North America requires a magnum of any kind anyway. No armour on anything here.
A .30-06 or .308 with 165 grain hunting bullets will kill any game you care to hunt. Mind you, a .270 or anything that's .26 and up in calibre will do nicely as well.
"...Never thought of getting married..." Bit extravagant as an excuse. snicker.
Old September 21, 2016, 12:33 PM   #10
Chaz88

My go to will do most hunting jobs is the 7mm Rem Mag. I think its popularity has dropped off a bit but I do not think most people can say it is a bad round for deer on up to elk and moose, particularly if you reload. I have other options but if in doubt it is the gun I grab. It helps that I have killed everything I ever shot at with it. Confidence in a gun is a plus in my book.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old September 21, 2016, 01:00 PM   #11
Blindstitch

Do you have a specific rifle in mind yet? It may help to know if they even have certain calibers that you're thinking of. My choice would be 30-06 or 308.
Old September 21, 2016, 01:53 PM   #12
Wyosmith

I'd have to agree with KraigWy and Blindstitch. You will never go wrong with a 30-06 or 270, and a 3rd choice would be a good 308. The 7-08 has a lot of merit too.

I have used and seen used many calibers and bullets on elk in the last 40 years or so, including several big magnums of 30 and 338 calibers, and to be 100% honest, until I get to a 375H&H level, I have never seen any real increase in the lethality of any of them over my 270 on elk, at any distance out to about 400 yards.

I do recommend a Mauser style extractor if I were to buy rifles for the "one gun for a lifetime" idea. So in American made rifles that means Ruger M-77 actions and Winchester M70 actions. If we look at imports we can throw in the CZ550s too.

Congratulations on the upcoming honeymoon. Best of luck, good hunting and may God bless you both.

PS...Post pictures of your hunt together.
Old September 21, 2016, 03:12 PM   #13
Mobuck

I'd suggest a 7mm08 or .308 for her and a 7mm Rem mag or 30/06 for you. I've shot elk with 30/06 and 7 mag with good results and a relative (.308 fan) has shot 2 or 3 elk with his .308.
Any of these cartridges will push a very effective bullet at a velocity suitable to take an elk out to 250-300 yards.
Old September 21, 2016, 04:58 PM   #14
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by King453
Taylorce1-
Do you own a 280 Ackley? How does it compare to a 280 Remington? I'm pretty unfamiliar with the cartridge, other than Google knowledge. I kind of like the idea of something a little less common. Do you know who makes rifles chambered in this cartridge?
Thanks.
Nope don't own the AI at all, have owned a couple of .280's in the past but I preferred the .270 Win. Cooper, Kimber, and Nosler chamber rifles in .280 AI and that's why I listed it along with the .280 Rem. If you don't reload your own ammunition I'd probably shy away from anything .280 Rem or .280 AI. Common isn't a bad thing if you're not interested in investing in the equipment to support the uncommon.
Old September 21, 2016, 04:59 PM   #15
lefteye

I recommend a .270, .280, or .280 Ackley Improved. I don't have one but would I want the .280 Ackley Improved if I had the money for the rifle and more elk hunts.
Old September 21, 2016, 08:36 PM   #16
King453

Thank you again to everyone for your well wishes and suggestions! I really appreciate it, I should have joined this community sooner. I will definitely be looking for something smaller than I thought I would need before posting this morning. I am now thinking a 308 for her, and for myself the 30-06, 280 Ackley, or 7mm Rem Mag. I have always hunted with a model 700 30-06, and it has performed beautifully for me. But like I said, I already own one, so I feel the urge to maybe try something new, but it's tough to stray away. It's like having a favorite dish at a local restaurant, it's tough not to order it every time because you know you like it, but you can't help but think you're missing out on some other dish you would enjoy. I am starting to get into reloading, so the Ackley would really give me more enjoyment in this regard, as I could play around with different loads, and know I have something unique. I guess I have time to hem and haw, and research the options still. Then comes the adventure of choosing a rifle.
Old September 21, 2016, 09:10 PM   #17
Blindstitch

What kind of price range do you have. Maybe we can suggest a rifle or two. Weatherbys might be nice.
Old September 21, 2016, 09:38 PM   #18
King453

I don't have a solid price range nailed down yet, like I said, this purchase and trip are a little ways out yet. But I would like to keep around $2,000 a piece, to leave room for good optics, and obviously the expense of the trip. Right now I've been looking into the H-S Precision rifles but man... the price is pretty steep. Does anyone know if the MSRP online is what you really pay for these guns? I've also been looking into Weatherby, Montana, Kimber, Nosler. I like the idea of being able to custom order a rifle like H-S Precision. I have looked into Red Hawk Rifles, I bought a stock from them for a 22-250 I own. Their prices are still a little on the high side, almost H-S money. But I like that they build on the 700 action, and provide Bell and Carlson stocks. I could definitely use some suggestions for other custom shops similar but less expensive.
Old September 22, 2016, 09:59 AM   #19
Chaz88

Weatherby has a custom shop. You can use there web site to put in your specifications ad get an idea of cost. I am sure some of the other well known makers also have custom shops.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old September 22, 2016, 05:39 PM   #20
Jack O'Conner

I hunt elk with my .308 carbine and always shoot 'em twice. I've practiced to shoot two quick shots. Two shots from my .308 delivers more energy into the animal than just one shot from a big booming MAG rifle. Far less recoil, too.

Your 30-06 will be fine. I suggest 180 grain Core-lokt ammo or one of the newer bonded bullet designs.

Jack
Old September 22, 2016, 07:57 PM   #21
chuckscap

I've used a 270 on elk for a long time, over twenty elk taken, only had to shoot one twice and he was lying on the ground where I hit him. A 25-06 is plenty of gun also if your bride is recoil shy. Use quality bullets (Partitions, A-Frames, etc) Shot placement as always is the key.
Old September 23, 2016, 07:10 AM   #22
Picher

It's hard to beat a .270 Win, especially using all the great bonded bullets available today. Trajectory is flatter than the '06 and recoil is less.

The 7mm-08 and .308 Win are great cartridges for shorter/lighter rifles. Sometimes it's hard to find those rounds with the best brands/types of bullets. The 7mm-08 rounds are particularly hard to find in the big-box stores.

The best thing, if you don't handload, is the availability of 'reduced recoil' ammo for many cartridges, including .30-06, .270 Win, and .308 Win. (Point of impact will be different from regular loads, however.)

JP
Old September 23, 2016, 08:03 PM   #23
jmr40

You don't NEED anything larger than 7-08 or 308. Elk are often hunted in rugged, steep terrain at high elevation where the air is thin. Keeping rifle weight down is an important, but often overlooked requirement that is best taken advantage of with 7-08 or 308. With the best bullets and modern loads either of these will take elk at 400 yards or farther. Most people don't have the skills to take advantage of bigger rounds.

But if you do have the skills, and don't mind the added weight and recoil of one of the 7mm or 300 mags there is nothing wrong with using one. At 400 yards no elk will know the difference between a 308, 7-08, 270, 7 mag, or 300 magnum. The 308/7-08 start reaching the limits of impact speed at ranges over about 400 yards and bullets may not expand reliably. The magnums maintain adequate bullet speed farther down range making them effective out to 500-600 yards or even farther. But few shooters have the skills to take advantage of them.

The 270 and 30-06 do the same things as 7-08/308 as well as the 7mm/300 mags. They just split the difference in bullet speed, rifle weight, and recoil.

All are good, but I'm a 30 cal guy and would be torn between 30-06 and 308. The lighter weight of the 308 is pulling me slightly that way.
Old September 26, 2016, 06:44 PM   #24
std7mag

What JMR40 said!!

If you need any more proof on the 308/7mm-08 for elk watch Randy Newburg's series, (on your own adventures). He hunts almost strictly with 308/7mm-08.

Elk have been taken down by 257 Roberts and alas, 243Win. But I probably wouldn't recommend the latter.
Old September 27, 2016, 07:14 AM   #25
salt and battery

I have a little trouble understanding the OP. If him and his partner are avid deer hunters you would think they already have rifles unless they strictly bowhunt