The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 28, 2013, 08:30 PM   #1
mayosligo

Interested in a single shot

What are some suggestions? Manufacturer and caliber. I would like to use it for deer hunting. Do not think I can afford a number 1 Ruger
Old February 28, 2013, 08:40 PM   #2
gundog5

Just saying, I bought a used ruger #1 (years ago mind you) and was given the remaining 10 rounds from the first and only box that was shot through it. I have two rifles that I will never get rid of one is the ruger #1 and the other is my 450marlin. My babling is to say you might want to check around as the ruger #1 is just a great rifle.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Quadpod88

If you weren't on a real strict budget, I would've suggested Shiloh Arms they remake the old Sharps .45x70 and .45x110 lever action breech loader. I would look for an old Sharps or even a Henry. I beleive Remington makes a decent one, but don't quote me on it. Budget single shots are a bit outside my knowledge.
Old February 28, 2013, 09:27 PM   #4
wooly booger

H&R Handi Rifles are affordable and surprisingly accurate and reliable. If you want to deer hunt, I would find one in 7mm'08. As I mentioned in previous thread, I helped a Dad and daughter pack out a 6x6 bull elk that the 15 year old girl killed with her Handi rifle in 7mm'08 back in 2011. They are good little shooters that can be had for under $300.
Old February 28, 2013, 09:59 PM   #5
olddav

+1 on the H&R rifles, plenty of cal to choose from too.
Old February 28, 2013, 10:06 PM   #6
big al hunter

A Thompson Center Encore will run between 5and 800 dollars new. On the used market look for an Encore or a TC Contender. Both are good rifles and you can get new barrels in different calibers for around 300.

Calibers for deer 243 win, 7mm-08, 308, 30-06, or any one between those will perform well on deer. These have the best factory ammo availability.

On the less expensive end of the market Rossi makes some decent little break actions for not too much coin. I got my son a matched set with 22 lr, 243 win and 20 ga shotgun barrels that are easily changed. It shoots better than him and he can practice with cheap 22 ammo.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:57 PM   #7
Daekar

I would second what the others said, get a Handi Rifle or a Thompson Center Encore. The Handi Rifle is available in most popular chamberings, and the Encore is available in ANYTHING you can imagine. If it were me I would get a Handi unless I wanted an unusual cartridge.

The cartridge you use for deer is... flexible. It really depends on how big your deer are and how far away you'll be shooting them. If you'll be shooting small deer no further than say, 125 yards, then a 357 magnum rifle will do. Larger deer out to 225ish, a 30-30 would be nice, and any further than that you're looking at full-sized cartridges like a 308, 30-06, 270, 35 Whelen, etc.
Old March 1, 2013, 07:01 PM   #8
Niantician

Re: Interested in a single shot

Rossi just came out with a single shot with interchangable barrels. Ive never seen or shot one, but its gotten good reviews so far. I think its worth a look.
Old March 1, 2013, 11:51 PM   #9
AL45

My son killed his first deer with a H & R ultra hunter chambered in .308. It has a nice laminated stock and shoots very well. I think I paid a little over $300.00 new.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:56 AM   #10
Kreyzhorse

If you looke around, you can get a decent deal on a used Ruger No. 1 or a No. 3.

I bought a No. 1 in 45-70 a few years ago and it is a fantastic gun.

If those prices are a bit much, I agree that an H&R single shot is a good choice. I've hunted with one in 30.06 out west and was impressed with it. They are a lot of gun for the money.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:25 AM   #11
Jack O'Conner

I owned this Savage model 219 in 30-30 for a few seasons and traded it off. Dumb choice on my part. You can find these on GunBroker.com without much difficulty.

Jack

Old March 2, 2013, 05:07 PM   #12
warbirdlover

CVA makes a nice single shot...

http://www.cva.com/Apex-Rifle-from-CVA.php

TC makes them also but are fugly.

The H&R and other cheap ones aren't very accurate.
Old March 2, 2013, 06:10 PM   #13
Scorch

There are still a lot of the Remington/ Baikal single shots out there. I saw several on Auction Arms a few weeks ago, most were right around $300. They are pretty nice rifles, much nicer than a H&R or Rossi. My preferences would run towards a High Wall or Low Wall, they are available for $800-ish used.
Old March 2, 2013, 07:45 PM   #14
Backwoodsboy

My handi rifle has always worked wonders for me. Plenty of woodchucks, redfox, and deer that never heard it was inaccurate.
Old March 3, 2013, 08:40 AM   #15
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbirdlover
The H&R and other cheap ones aren't very accurate.
How accurate to you need them to be? I have a .223 Ultra Hunter that will stay inside MOA all day long, and a .308 that hovers around MOA when I do my part. The .30-30 standard rifle and the .45-70 will stay inside 3", which puts me in the kill zone of a standard whitetail deer out to the edge of the useful range.

Granted, they're not benchrest rifles, but they weren't built to be. Now, would I buy one today? Only if I were enamored of single-shot rifles. The bolt-gun makers (Savage, Ruger, Marlin, etc) are making fine entry-level bolt guns in that same price point. But, there is one season each year in this state that requires a single-shot rifle, so I have to leave the bolt guns at home.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old March 3, 2013, 12:47 PM   #16
mayosligo

Interested in a single shot

Backwood. What caliber?
Old March 3, 2013, 03:07 PM   #17
Backwoodsboy

Mayo my handi rifle is a .243. Will put 3 rounds into an inch at a hundred yds. This is while shooting prone while using a bipod. It is also with 100 grain rounds, my rifle does not like lighter weight varmint rds. Only after about 5 rds without allowing the barrel to cool do the groups open up. Of course that is common with most single shot rifles. For all practical hunting purposes H&R makes a fine singleshot.