The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 20, 2012, 09:01 AM   #26
L_Killkenny

On an historical note (kinda), E. Keith wrote about carrying 4" DA's and 4 3/4" SA's in the hip(back) pocket, butt forward. Didn't recommend it for saddle use though for obvious reasons. Now I've tried it and front pocket carry with both types of guns and it does have some merit. I find it very hard to find clothes that will cover the bottom of the longer holsters needed for these guns but covering the tops of pockets is pretty easy. Worked well enough that I will be breaking out the leather, needle and thread this winter for a couple pocket holster creations for a better test. Over all though my thinkin is front pocket with the right holster would be better for these larger guns.
Old November 20, 2012, 12:21 PM   #27
saltydog452

'Field Search'

I made through two 'Field Searches' with a Seacamp .32 in a right/rear wallet holster. It, being the outline of the holster, was futher concealed with a neutral color bandana.

On the first, after I was securely seated, straped, and restrained in the rear seat. I mentioned to the #2 Passenger LEO who was baby-sitting me in the Cruiser, that there was a pistol in my right/reat pocket. After being instructed to move a bit and lean fwd, I was 'searched' again with a baton.

The Sarge In Charge got all bent out of shape when it was revealed that I was seated in the rear of the cruiser, cuffed with hands behind my back, within reach of a .32ACP.

In defense of the guys/gals in Blue, or Gray (TxDPS), both Arrests occured soon after CHLs were approved. I didn't have mine then, I do now. The charges were not persued. They have now been Expunged. Although the Accusations weren't persued, I did take the ride.

Too lengthy a Post, but if you wear a Badge, you might think about it the next time you perform a Field Search and allow soneone to sit behind you

Stuff happens, don't let it happen to you,

salty
Old November 20, 2012, 02:30 PM   #28
Yung.gunr

Whatever you do don't wad up napkins and put em in the other back pocket to even you out.

We would have to call you George.

Seriously though, back pocket would probably be my last option. The back pocket of my jeans/slacks are usually loose, so I would be worried about it working it's way up when moving around sitting down. I also trust my front pockets against pick pockets more then my back pockets. Haven't ever encountered a pick pocket but there's always a first.

I keep the P238 or TCP in the front pocket.
Old November 20, 2012, 05:36 PM   #29
mquail

I powerwalk and back pocket carry when I'm waddling down the back roads. It's quite comfortable
Old November 22, 2012, 07:15 PM   #30
Warrior1256

Never tried it but it seems an interesting concept. Any problem with printing?
Old November 22, 2012, 08:41 PM   #31
SIGSHR

In Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting Ed McGivern has pictures of a "Baker hip pocket holster".
Old November 23, 2012, 07:38 AM   #32
rightside

I carry my Taurus 709 slim in an Ace pocket holster in my right rear. Breaks up the profile well. Feels like a wallet when seated. Works for me. I have accidently left my wallet at home though because it felt like I already had it!
Old November 23, 2012, 09:09 AM   #33
Onward Allusion

KT P32 for the last 2 years or so. Always use a holster.
Old November 23, 2012, 09:52 AM   #34
barstoolguru

Quote:
Y'know, pocket carry is VERY DANGEROUS and shouldn't be done according to some people.
someone call my name I bring you another heartwarming story from the “carrying in the POCKET” files

Quote:
Police say victim was carrying a loaded gun in his pocket while mowing. At one point, the gun fell out of his pocket, landed on the sidewalk and went off.
http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/152275745.html

and just for the record it's not just adults with this problem, kids can't seem to keep it in their pants either

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ectid=10720542

Last edited by barstoolguru; November 23, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old November 23, 2012, 10:17 AM   #35
Sparks1957

Quote:
someone call my name
I'm glad to see you have a sense of humor.
Old November 23, 2012, 11:02 AM   #36
barstoolguru

Quote:
I'm glad to see you have a sense of humor.
when my ears are burning I have to see why
Old November 23, 2012, 11:09 AM   #37
baddarryl

I sometimes back pocket my Keltec P3at if the jeans I have are too tight for front pocket. This usually only for a late night trip to the store mind you. I 90% of the time have IWB Glock 26 and now a 19.
Old November 23, 2012, 11:14 AM   #38
orionengnr

My LCP works quite well in the Mika holster in the back pocket. If I ever decide I need a BUG (or a New York reload), that might be the way to go.
Quote:
Police say victim was carrying a loaded gun in his pocket while mowing. At one point, the gun fell out of his pocket, landed on the sidewalk and went off.
I suspect we aren't hearing the entire story...
Old November 23, 2012, 06:47 PM   #39
PT-92

Only at home when I am quickly accomplishing a chore of some sort (taking trash out, getting the mail etc...). Still have my primary on me so it's only my BUG (usually a Bobcat 21A). I don't personally do so outside of my own confines as I am too 'paranoid' that someone might try and strip me of it absent my knowledge (essentially approach me from behind--maybe I need to install a rear-view mirror on my glasses to be sure). But as others have mentioned, to each his or her own.

-Happy Holidays
Old November 25, 2012, 10:32 PM   #40
alienbogey

LCP in Uncle George wallet holster for the last couple years. Works great, no mag release problems, no more uncomfortable to sit than with my wallet in my other hip pocket. Not the fastest draw in the world, but better than a fast draw with an air pistol.