The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 10, 2011, 10:36 AM   #26
BrittB

Why limit yourself to one gun? Shotguns are so fun and I found that you can pick up older used ones for a song. Now I have three of them, a 18 1/2" HD pistol griped pump 12, a O/U target clay/ skeet 12, and a good old pump 12 for whatever else I need it for. It also makes a good loaner gun as I only have $60 into it and I picked it up a few weeks ago. I think overall, I have less than $500 into all three of them and they are all great shooters and lots of fun. I'm working on another that I might be able to pick up for less than $50 if I really want it.
Old July 10, 2011, 04:32 PM   #27
Major Beef

BrittB, what kind of guns are we talking about here, those are some ridiculously low prices!

Regarding earlier advice, I will try to be patient and try out more guns in my future visits to the range.

However, I did go handle a few guns at a local sporting goods store recently. I tried out a few 870 variants and the Benelli Nova. I have to say I prefer the look and feel of the Nova. The feeling I got when shouldering the gun and looking through the sights reminded me a bit of the SBE II, although it did feel more clumpsy on the swing compared to the SBE II. The pump action was nice and smooth, and I did notice a little rattling on the pump that I've read about, but it was pretty minor. One potentially negative thing is that the gun just might be a tad too big & heavy for me. I think I handled the 28" version and it just looked and felt really big (perhaps b/c I'm still not used to shotguns). The gun with tax would be about $410. If I do find a better deal, I may pull the trigger on the Nova.
Old July 10, 2011, 06:19 PM   #28
TheKlawMan

Major Beef, I have very little experience but you said that the Nova feels big. I looked at it and the Mossberg and ended up getting an 870 and it felt big to me. In fact, after about 3 months of ownership I was about to get a stock with a shorter LOP (iIt comes standard with a 14" LOP), but it feels smaller now and I am even considering going to a longer LOP.

As for checking out guns in a store, that might be adequate for experienced shooters who know what to look for, but I think it is much better to shoot a gun before buying.

Some advocate not complicating a purchase by trying a lot of guns, but say just buy and get rid of a gun you don't like. That is fine if you have money to throw away.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; July 10, 2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old July 10, 2011, 08:03 PM   #29
BrittB

The only new one I have is a Stoeger Condor O/U 12 gauge which I've put around 100-150 rounds through so far and it works great, $329. The second one is a JC Higgins model 20 12 gauge pump that been shortend to 18 1/2" and has a pistol grip on the butt. It's my HD special and shoots like a dream, $25 but required a deep cleaning. My last one is a High Standard model 200 12 gauge pump that is all original but needed trigger block repair. Great shotgun that is smooth as butter, $60.
I really like finding the parts guns and bring them back to life. The Dept. store guns can be a great find at $40-$50 in need of repair or a good deep clean. If it's over my head as far as what I'm able to do, I pass on them. I bought a Remington 581s .22lr that was a bit rough for $50. I cleaned it up, redid the stock, and added some extras like a scope to it for a total cost of $90. Now it's my favorite rifle. You don't have to spend a mint on a gun if you don't want to but you do need to pass on the junk and pounce on the diamonds in the rough.
I have no problems spending money on guns I like and if I have the money, will drop a dime in a hurry but there's something really fun about bringing one back from near death.