The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 11, 2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Firepower!

25-50 yards competition shooting

Hi
I wanted to know what are your experiences and thoughts on shooting up to 50 yard target/groups with the following only:

Glock 19
Glock 17
Glcok 34
Hk P2000
Sig P226

I need to pick one of these for my next trip where there will be competition.

Thank you for your advice.
Old June 11, 2008, 03:17 PM   #2
cdrt

You didn't say what kind of competition. If it's NRA Conventional Pistol (Bullseye), I would have to give you a thumbs down on all of them, but I'm guessing it's something else.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old June 11, 2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Sarge

I've shot them all, or their cousins, at various times and for offhand shooting I can tell you without reservation that I'd take the 226, hands down. It's the only thing on your list that has anything resembling a crisp break.
Old June 19, 2008, 05:09 AM   #4
mygunsbigger

I definetly agree with Sarge on this. Glocks may be consistant, and the p2000's LEM trigger is nice for carry but the 226 beats all on crisp triggers.
Old July 14, 2008, 11:38 AM   #5
kraigwy

I'm with CRDT on this one. I've shot a lot of Bullseye Matches, didnt see many of these guns. In the 45 portion, the 1911s still dominate. In the 22 cal portion it still seems to be the Smith 41.
In the center fire there are still a lot of Smith 52s and 1911s (for those shooting the 45 in center fire).

I dont see this change in my life time.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 14, 2008, 04:57 PM   #6
Citizen Carrier

I assume by 25-50 yard competition you are talking about NRA outdoor bullseye distances and the CMP President's Match and National Trophy Match type of competitions.

From what I saw at Camp Perry, the M1911A1 still dominates the firing line for both the centerfire and of course, the .45 course of fires (what the heck else would dominate the .45 course of fire anyway?).

Nobody uses the types of guns you wanted opinions on for NRA bullseye type matches.

The M1911A1 dominates because the industry for accurizing them has been in place for decades and there are plenty out there who can do it easily.

That and it's sweet trigger. Best out there because it slides directly to the rear rather than pivoting on a trigger pin at the top of the trigger area like any double-action auto or Glock type gun. Easier to not disturb the front and rear sight alignment if your trigger slides rather than pivots. Trigger control is the hardest aspect of accurate shooting IMO, and having a user-friendly slider just makes life easier.

Of course, those same features that make it outstanding for bullseye competition are the same ones that make it great for most any other competition, such as IPSC or IDPA or even bowling pin matches. The M1911A1continues to dominate those venues as well, I imagine.

The Rock Island Arsenal "Lonslide" model with six inch slide and barrel would be an interesting choice for competition shooting due to it's longer sight radius. I came damn close to buying a $900 High Standard "Camp Perry" model at Camp Perry. It was tightly fitted with the slide to frame, barrel lockup and barrel to bushing (it had a "NM" marked barrel bushing). It wears Bomar sights standard. That woud be a kickass competition gun in any circumstance.

Ah, but you don't want to hear about the M1911A1 because you specifically didn't ask about it.

Well, if it is a GSSF (Glock Shooting Sports Federation) match, which should be fairly common to find, you'll need a Glock. There are three and maybe four GSSF matches held regularly within driving distance of me. I even won a Glock 22 at one (they do a raffle, I wasn't shooting like Quigley).

Of your choices, the Glock 34 would be best for this. I believe they come with Glock's adjustable sight and their reduced trigger pull sear-thingy (I can't remember what that sucker is called). They also have extended mag releases, but quick-change mags aren't necessary in an indoor Glock match.

They also have a slightly longer sight radius than the other two Glocks you mentioned. That's a good thing.

I use a Glock 24C for Glock matches. It's slide and sight radius are greater still than even the 34. I've outfitted it with a reduced pull sear and aftermarket adjustable sights that resemble Bomar sights in utility and function. The front sight is a very narrow black blade so I can be very specific on the target about where I want to hit.

Now here's the best thing about Glocks. If you have even a medium-sized gunshow in your area the odds are there will be a Glock armorer there. You walk in, go to him first, pick out the custom parts you want installed, check out the rest of the gunshow and by the time you're ready to leave your gun is ready to go too. Any other gun would have to be sent away for months, if at all, for such drastic modifications. Aftermarket barrels with porting, compensators, trigger stops, tungsten guide rods, extended slide stops, safeties and all that.

IMO, the only thing a stock Glock needs for GSSF matches are the Glock reduced trigger pull...thingy (dammit), an adjustable rear sight (not the factory Glock one), and a narrower black front sight.

Narrower and no colored or glowing doohickeys imbedded in it.

The Meprolight adjustable might be good. Or a Millet if you can find them. Ameriglo makes good narrow, plain black front sights.
Old July 15, 2008, 10:09 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

best of your list

Glock 34