The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2008, 08:29 AM   #1
Farmhand

Recommend a Handgun Reloading Manual

I am getting ready to reload and am slowly assembling the required items. I purchased a Speer Reloading Manual and have read the heck out of it. I think I read about every cartrige handgun and rifle in the manual - I like the history and background contained in the manual. Super interesting. Anyway, there are some handgun loads in that manual but wanted a 2nd source. I believe that two sources is what most recommend when reloading. I will be reloading 10mm, 41 mag. first. I may add some other handgun calibers later. Can you guys recomend a manual that contains a lot of handgun loads (I am leaning toward using Accurate Powders so a manual that covers Accurate would be very helpful).
Old February 18, 2008, 08:31 AM   #2
rwilson452

I think highly of the Sierra manual. it also has a nice section on ballistics in the back
the Lyman manual is good too.
Old February 18, 2008, 09:06 AM   #3
KeithB78

I like Lyman's and Hornaday, also have Speer and Sierra manuals

Lyman also has a pistol and revolver only manual that goes into more detail and more loads for pistols only. Worth the money IMO
Old February 18, 2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Crimp

Farmhand, you will find Accurate Powder's reloading data here.

Welcome to reloading. Be careful!

West Virginians: Consider joining the West Virginia Citizens Defense League.
Old February 18, 2008, 01:05 PM   #5
tom234

I'd get a Lyman Reloading Handbook or a Pistol & Revolver Handbook. Lyman has lots of lead bullet load data while bullet manufacturer manuals generally concentrate on jacketed bullets. Don't pass up on-line data provided by powder manufacturers. You can also email powder manufacturers and ask for load data with bullet and powder combinations that aren't listed. Alliant has been very good in this respect.
Old February 18, 2008, 01:10 PM   #6
scsov509

Another praise for Lyman from a fellow handgun loader. Also, you can find data for specific powders here:

http://accuratearms.com/loaddata_caliber_handgun.htm
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Old February 18, 2008, 06:02 PM   #7
FatWhiteMan

Hornady's is excellent for beginners. Text on reloading is good and they cover a broad range of powders for their loads. Loads tend to be a bit conservative too which is also good.
Old February 18, 2008, 06:08 PM   #8
TNFrank

Most of the major powder manufactures have free little books you can get that'll give you basic loads. Other then that I like the Lyman and Lee pretty well and I've used the heck out of my Speer book. I like to keep 2 or 3 handy to compare loads from book to book to work out what I like.
Old February 18, 2008, 06:42 PM   #9
xdshooter1

Tom234 Which Lymann book has the Lead bullet data?
Old February 18, 2008, 07:25 PM   #10
Robert M Boren Sr

Personally, I own one each of the major bullet manufacturers manuals. When a updated one comes out I get it. Always nice to have around especially when looking for a load. Just my thoughts anyway.
Old February 18, 2008, 09:10 PM   #11
RonC1

I have a couple of hard backed loading manuals. Speer, an old Hornady, Lee. While it can be pricey if you load a lot of calibers, I like the LoadBooks.

When I get serious, I take a loading from each vendor for bullet weight and powder type and put it into a spreadsheet. Sort and compare.

Sometimes, a particular vendor seems to be out of line. Often that can be explained by the type of test barrel and barrel length used to generate the data.

You can also chart the data, wt of powder vs velocity, which should cluster along a line. While the temptation to extrapolate to find the weight of powder for a desired velocity, this must be resisted if the required weight exceeds maximums.

Then load some and chronograph at the range. Interesting, time consuming and fun.
Old February 18, 2008, 09:31 PM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

The ABC's of reloading has pretty good stuff. It isn't as detailed and focused as some of the others, but still a good read.

My highest recommendation if only to choose one is Lyman's 48th edition...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 18, 2008, 09:35 PM   #13
Ken O

Ive got a stack of manuals, you should have more than one to cross check. But if I had to just have one, it would be the Lyman 48th, it has bullets and powder from different manufactors, it also has loads for cast bullets.

I also like the Loadbooks of each caliber.
Old February 18, 2008, 09:40 PM   #14
nate45

Lyman is a good one to start with

Old February 18, 2008, 10:20 PM   #15
W. C. Quantrill

I use Hornady, Lyman and Sierra. Hornady seems to have better ballistics tables for my personal use, but I like Sierras lay out. It also depends on what bullet you are going to use. Each bullet company only recommends for their own particular bullets. Lyman throws in the lead bullets.

Unless you intend to only use one brand of bullet, you will probably end up getting several books. You will find that they do not always agree on loads.
Old February 19, 2008, 07:03 AM   #16
Farmhand

Lyman 48 it is

Looks like Lyman 48 is the run away so I will pick that up. I may also get the Sierra down the road. Thanks for the info.
Old February 20, 2008, 02:22 PM   #17
tbird1960

reload book

:You cannot have enough reload books. I have about 30 and I still cannot find what I am looking for at times. One of the most important things in reloading is plenty of info and it only works if you read it. Remember always approach maximum carefully because all guns are not equal.