The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 15, 2014, 02:20 PM   #1
AlexI

Steel security/gun cabinets with combination locks?

Hi all,

I already did a lot of online research but couldn't find such an animal. Last hope if anybody here can point me to one.

To clarify: I am looking for a steel cabinet to store about a dozen rifles. NOT a "real" safe, because I want it relatively cheap and, most importantly, light (easy to move/install by myself). But I want it with some kind of combination lock to avoid the inconvenience of a key that can be lost, misplaced, etc.

Thanks.
Alex.
Old April 15, 2014, 02:36 PM   #2
Jay24bal

I am unaware of any such product available.

Probably because as you mention, it is not a "real safe." For starters, since it is not a safe, the door is simply a sheet of metal versus a safe where they are anywhere from 1"-6" thick. As such, the lock is thicker than the door so it is not very easy to mount it.

And if I may ask, why do you want a combination lock on it when a basic screwdriver will pry open the door? I am not trying to come off as condescending, I am just wondering if I am missing something in the thought process.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old April 15, 2014, 03:17 PM   #3
AlexI

My intention is just to secure the guns from kids, and maybe from a very hurried "smash and grab" burglary at most. I want combination lock over key lock not for higher security, just for convenience. How is that for a thought process?

Alex.
Old April 15, 2014, 03:30 PM   #4
BarryLee

Have you considered Stack On?

http://www.stack-on.com/categories/s...s-gun-cabinets
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 15, 2014, 04:07 PM   #5
AlexI

Yes, these poped up right away in the first search I ran. I really don't want to deal with the key, though...
Old April 16, 2014, 01:51 PM   #6
nemesiss45

If you are not opposed to a little fabrication, you can find an old equipment locker at a scrap yard or thrift store. The kind I am thinking of is about 3'Wx7'H, but there are plenty of sizes... anyway, weld a padlock latch onto it, then use a padlock. That is what my dad keeps ammo in... I would personally prefer a safe... but if your on a budget or have some other reason, it will be cheaper than one of those stack-on cabinets... if you can find a nice old locker from the 70s or earlier, it will be a nice heavy steel too, and may be marginally secure.
Old April 16, 2014, 02:11 PM   #7
JimDandy

I want to eventually get a nice heavy safe, but right now there are flooring and floor space considerations blocking that plan. I live in a pretty good neighborhood, and have no kids in the house, or even visiting so I use a Gladiator cabinet- they make a half-and-half version that is one half shelving and one half hanging/empty space. I stuck the hook in the ceiling and hang my bird n lite and trap vests from it, then stand the guns up in the back with my projector screen. The shelves get the ammo and other supplies, plus the handguns.

Edit to Add, if he's not opposed to fabrication, he could take just about anything and fabricate a drawbar across the door with a padlock hasp. Doesn't even have to be a locker. Weld a couple brackets to any metal cabinet that works for you, insert bar, lock down with a combo padlock.
Old April 16, 2014, 02:55 PM   #8
gunslinger2000

Another option in this case is obscure (hidden) storage where the guns are accessible but not obvious. I have designed and installed systems for several others over the years. Don't want to discuss details on open forums but will be happy to share ideas by personal message or email. gunslinger
Old April 16, 2014, 03:46 PM   #9
JimDandy

I might trust the unsecure but hidden solution for theft, but not for kids running around. Other people may differ though.
Old April 17, 2014, 05:28 AM   #10
nemesiss45

Even theft... theives are good at tossing houses... id rather count on a secure enclosure that will take them time and noise to defeat than hope they dont find my cubby hole.
Old April 17, 2014, 08:05 AM   #11
skizzums

i have the stack-on from academy, its so thin i would think that someone with a little ingenuity would be able to affix a padlock to it

you could simply cut a half square on the door and outside the door, pull the tabs out and drill a hole, im sure there are several ways
Old April 17, 2014, 09:18 AM   #12
JimDandy

Quote:
Even theft... theives are good at tossing houses... id rather count on a secure enclosure that will take them time and noise to defeat than hope they dont find my cubby hole.
I wouldn't go that far. I've seen some of the hidey-hole furniture available. I'd be fairly confident it would deter most thieves. They may be adept at tossing a house, but I don't think they spend much time looking for secret doors in headboards and end tables. I think an 8 year old jumping up and down on Mom and Dad's bed is more likely to fall on the corner of the end table or crash into the headboard discovering the firearm.
Old April 17, 2014, 10:11 AM   #13
Jimboh247

I tossed this same issue around in my head for weeks before I bought a safe.

I got a Liberty 18 gun for about $250 more than a similarly sized steel gun cabinet. It's fire rated for 30 minutes, has a dial combination and I was able to move it myself.

Look at Tractor Supply (if you have those in your area). They have sales all the time. Gander Mountain will sometimes sell floor models at a discount.