The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 8, 2006, 12:17 AM   #1
FirstFreedom

Perfect Muzzleloader

The 2 coolest MLs going, in my book, are the "Katahdin" which is a T/C Encore, and the Savage 10ML. I like the short handy length (and the sights) of the T/C, but the strength and nice stock availability of the Savage (whether or not you shoot smokeless, it's nice to know that you action is strong enough to do so, in the event of extra-heavy BP charges). So the question is, what about a barrel cutoff & re-crown of the 10MLBSS-II, to 20"? If I did that, where would I find the correct length rod for it? Can't just cut it off because of the threading for the handle....

http://www.savagearms.com/10mlbssii.htm

Ideas? BTW, smokeless powder MLs are legal in my state for deer hunting, and the less fouling & cleaning appeals to me.
Old November 8, 2006, 12:13 PM   #2
P-990

Aww, FF, don't fool yourself. You really, really just want the Katahdin! You don't just want it, you NEED IT!!! Just give in to temptation and do it friend, that is all you can do. Resistance is futile...

Actually, cutting down the Savage isn't a bad idea, but it's STILL going to be longer than the Encore. Though with smokeless you should keep your velocity up, something my Katahdin will only do with 777 or Pyrodex pellets.

Oh, and to help weaken your resistance a little further, let me add this:

Old November 9, 2006, 11:38 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

You're right, I DO want the Katahdin - and right, with the break action, it's shorter than the Savage with same bbl length. Great handiness. I hate it when my rifle is so front heavy that it falls backward while slinged over one shoulder and I'm walking - that's why I'm thinking of going short. Wonder if you can get the 20" 209x50 Katahdin with wood furniture? What kind of accuracy do you get with your T/C? And have you chrono'ed any loads?
Old November 10, 2006, 10:12 PM   #4
P-990

FF,

First off, I can get accuracy or good speed, but not both (yet). Two 777 pellets and a 240gr XTP chrono at about 1700-fps. 3 of them gets me within striking distance of 2100-fps (with lots of smoke, noise and kick to back it up! ). These loads are good for about 3" at 50 yards. Useable, but I KNOW I can shoot better.

For accuracy, I have yet to beat real Goex 2F, loose. 85gr and a 250gr Shockwave shoot one-hole at 50 yards. No kidding! 110gr of Pyrodex and a 240gr XTP aren't shabby either. But these are slooooooow loads. Goex is averaging about 1350 or so. Haven't checked the Pyrodex, it's likely a little bit hotter.

I'm planning on going back to the pellets next spring and finding a sabot that will shoot under 2" with 2 pellets at 50 and then sticking to that to shoot out of it.

For carry though, the Katahdin is awesome. It's the first rifle I've carried through the woods and not gone "WHACK!" into a tree the first day of the season.