The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 19, 2006, 08:40 PM   #1
Remington kid

Best bore scrubber

When scrubbing the bore of my black powder guns I use Flitz and it works great but does anyone know of anything that may work better? I'm not one to keep up with new products for that kind of stuff but thought maybe some of you would know what's best. Thanks, Mike
Old February 19, 2006, 09:39 PM   #2
Oldelm

RK,......I bought a Bore Snake but haven't used it yet,...I've heard good reports about it in the CAS circles. It works fast, so alot of folks at CAS events like them for the ease and speed of use.
Here's a link about them........
http://www.rb-treasures.com/OP/Other.html
Old February 19, 2006, 09:42 PM   #3
Remington kid

Thanks Oldelm, I have heard good things about the bore snake but have never tried one. In fact I didn't know it would remove lead! Thanks again, Mike
Old February 19, 2006, 10:19 PM   #4
Oldelm

Mike,...you know, ...I had forgotten all about having bought mine,...so I gotta thank you , too, for joggin my mind about what's a good bore brush,...LOL....now I gotta keep it out where I can see it and USE IT ,...ha!
Old February 19, 2006, 10:27 PM   #5
Old Dragoon

I use my bore snakes all the time. When they get dirty throw them in the wash(with other nasties so your wife won't kill you).
I carry one to the shoots and to the range.
I wonder,,, I haven't had any leading problems to date, but... RK can you tell me if your leading is worse when you don't use lube over the ball??? Or is it pretty much the same?
Old February 20, 2006, 07:42 AM   #6
Remington kid

OD, Not really a problem with leading one way or the other that I can tell. There is always a little lead in the bores of these guns but nothing like my modern guns.
I was just checking to see if anyone had better lead removing stuff than my Flitz. So much new stuff on the shelfs today I don't know what works and what doesn't.
My bores look like mirrors when I'm done but I'm really particular about that kind of thing in my old age Mike
Old February 20, 2006, 09:01 AM   #7
eagle24

Mike, If I get some leading in the bores of my modern guns, sometimes I will take an old worn out bore brush and wrap a piece of "lead wipe" cloth around it and run it through the bore a few times. It really works well to cut everything out of the bore. I don't do it often because I can tell you from the polishing effect it has had on the outside of some of my stainless guns the lead wipe cloths do some very mild cutting. I believe that using the lead wipe this way is almost like a mild "lapping" of the barrel.

Oh, by the way, heard through the forum you also hunt with primitive archery equipment RK. We'll have to chat about that sometime. It has become my hunting passion.
Old February 20, 2006, 10:34 AM   #8
Remington kid

Eagle24, Thanks for the info on the lead cloth.Abrasives is something I want to avoid on these C&b bores.
Built many self bows, composite, and glass limbed bows over the years but the dust and finishing got to me so now I just shoot ACS longbows.A few years back O.L. Adcock and I came up with the design for the ACS "BearStick".I designed the grip for the bow and O.L designed the limbs. It is 58" long and uses the Bev-L- loc system to make it a take down bow for packing back in.
He nows has bows that will out shoot this one and many others. The man is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to what makes a bow tick.
Now I spend about as much time shooting my C&B revolvers as my bows.Still wont hunt Bear or Deer with anything but a longbow and a few Deer with My.44 Remington Mike
Old February 20, 2006, 10:45 AM   #9
eagle24

Mike, I sent O.L. a deposit a little over 3 yrs ago. He emailed me about 2 months ago and said I was 3 down on his list. Hopefully, I will have an ACS bow before next season. I have a Mariah longbow, built by Ric Anderson in Montana. It was my first longbow. I also have a Harrelson Longbow, built by Lynn Harrelson in Montgomery, AL. It has action bamboo limbs with carbon fiber laminations. Very light limb weight, shoots fast with almost no handshock. Lynn is my uncle. I'm going to email O.L. today and see where he is on my bow. Do you have one of his 3-pc takedowns? That is what I am considering having him build for me.
Old February 20, 2006, 11:25 AM   #10
Remington kid

No 3 piece, Mine is a two piece. His 3 piece bows are really great! He called me a few Weeks ago and talked for about an hour. He is a really great guy and has become a friend of mine over the past 5 years. Due to some health problems I'm having now I'm not sure what's going to happen next and O.L. Checks on me every now and then.You will never meet a more honest or smarter man in his field. Tell him Mike ("Beartracker") said Hi! when you talk to him and that I will be calling him soon.
If you don't love the bow he builds you I will eat it! . Take care, Mike
PS Thanks again for the info on the lead cloth.