The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 20, 2006, 09:22 PM   #1
Weird Guy

Sharps 1963, where to get them?

Pardon the date typo in the title. It is 1863.

I bought a $600 Sharps from a company called EMF, because I had mail ordered pistols from them before (F.L. Piettas).

I also bought a Sharps 1863 from them because it was a fairly good deal, but when I got it I was not happy with it at all. The rear sight was bent, the hammer strikes part of the hammer rest below it, the nipple inside the breach block still had metal burs on it from being ground on a grinding wheel. Also after a while the double set trigger stopped working correctly and will not hold the hammer back. It turns out this was not a Pendersoli or a Pietta.

It was a Pedratti & Sons. I've never heard of them before, and I think I now know why.

I still want a Sharps blackpowder, but I don't know which way to go to get one. I know Pendersoli makes them, but I cannot find anywhere to buy one from online.

Shilohrifle.com is another company, and they look really good, but they are expensive. It is nearly $1900 for a military sharps, which isn't even the style I like. I want a long barrel, but not a double set trigger.

Where do I look for that?
Old January 21, 2006, 09:07 PM   #2
Easy E

Try DIXIE GUNWORKS

They seem to have everything blackpowder related.
Old February 15, 2006, 04:20 AM   #3
Weird Guy

Ok.

I went through Dixie Gun Works, who is one of two USA dealers for Pedersolis.

I did get the Military 1958 Sharps, and and very happy with it. I had to go that route as well, since it turns out that Shiloh Sharps have a 16 month backlog on their rifles and cost twice as much.

The fit and finish is excelent for the Pedersoli rifle. I took the lock off the side (two screws from the left side hold the lock onto the right side). I compared it to the Pedretti. The Pedretti parts look like bits of scrap steel that have been ground on a common grinding wheel to make them, while the Pedersoli has parts that are milled from steel blocks by computerised C&C machines. A much better rifle.

I also learned that there is a bushing inside the chamber that you can pull out to clean (but it doesn't come out all the way, nor can it ever since it is longer than the breech block space). It is for forming a tight gas seal between chamber and breech block. The Pedersoli I can pull out with just my pinkie finger by wiggling it out. The Pedratti doesn't move at all, so I guess I will need to buy a special tool to pull it out. An expanding wedge/cylinder on a handle.

From looking at the two locks of the two rifles I have changed my mind about the double set triggers. All the second trigger is for is a safety of sorts. The locks are nearly identical (exact same function, but not interchangable) I will probably pull the triggers off the Pedretti and just turn it into a single trigger rifle. The second trigger isn't really doing anything other than interfering with the real trigger.

Last edited by Weird Guy; February 16, 2006 at 03:43 AM.
Old February 15, 2006, 08:30 AM   #4
Old Dragoon

You can pick up non fired Shiloh's at guns shows or online and not have to wait. They are expensive. I got an early one at a show in Vegas and later I bought a Pedersoli Sharps, both were 45-70's The Pedersoli would outshoot the Shiloh six ways from Sunday and was half the cost. The Pedersoli was purchased from the brother of a friend that had only shot 1/2 box (10) of shells thru it. It was the somewhat engraved reciever. Sweet rifle. Wish I could say the same for the Shiloh, but I cannot.

16 months wait, that's down from the 4 years wait.
Old February 15, 2006, 10:40 PM   #5
gmatov

Wierdguy,

Your Pedretti, or Pedratti, sounds like a kitgun that someone just put the rough parts together and decided to sell.

The parts need much TLC to make a shooter out of. Much fitting and polishing.

The second, the "set" trigger, is not a "safety of sorts", it is actually an "unsafety of sorts". A double set trigger moves the sear to near release, ie, out of the firing notch of the sear, mebbe .035 deep, to the last 5 or 10 thou of engagement, hence a "don't breathe too hard on it, she'll let go". Ounces of trigger pull.

Good luck with it. Learn what you have, and go from there. I do not know the quality of the weapon, but do a search. Someone does.

Cheers,

George
Old February 16, 2006, 01:47 AM   #6
steve1589

There is no comparison between a Shiloh Sharps and any of the foreign made Sharps.That extra money gets you a quality rifle that will last for generations if you take care of it. The fit and finish of the Shiloh Sharps rifles is far superior to any of the Italian made Sharps. If you think they are not you don't know what you are looking at. CSharps also makes fine Sharps rifles. Both of these companies have some rifles in stock. Call them and ask if they have what you looking for.
Old February 16, 2006, 03:36 AM   #7
Weird Guy

I already have recieved my 1859 Infantry Sharps. So, no more looking around for me.

The difference between the trigger groups of the two Sharps I have is that the Sporting rifles have a double set trigger that prevents the primary trigger from firing. The Infantry Sharps just has the primary trigger by itself.

One thing to note is that the Lock mechanism on the righthand side of the rifle is the same machinery on both rifles. The trigger group on the bottom of the stock is what is different.

....And of course the crude finish versus the quality finish of the metalic parts inside the rifles as well. Pedersoli is the far superior one. That Pedratti sporting rifle already has problems with the double set trigger failing to work and I haven't even shot it yet.

So, the moral of the story is Don't ever buy anything from Pedratti & Sons.

Get a Pedersoli. They are worth it.
Old February 16, 2006, 03:54 AM   #8
Weird Guy

Gmatov, I can see why you would say that, but having taken apart both rifles I can tell you that the Sharps sear works differently than what you mentioned. The double set trigger on the sporting rifle just prevents the primary shooting trigger from being pulled. The sear is just as sensative on the single trigger military rifle (and I assume the single trigger carbines as well) as it is on the sporting rifle. It doesn't take much to fire either one.

The double set tigger on the sporting rifle is its own mechanism, and is not part of the side lock machinery. The two triggers work past each other somehow (I haven't taken it off the sporting rifle because on of the screws is too tight to get off with the tools I have at home....I need to buy a better fitting screwdriver or I will strip it out).

The military rifle just deletes the secondary set trigger and runs with the main hair trigger by itself.

Now don't freak out that the rifle with only one trigger is unsafe. At half cock the rifle cannot be fired at all. The sear sits in a cup shaped notch on the bottom of the hammer and cannot move down until you pull the hammer back and get the sear out of that cup. The firing sear is just a 90 degree cut out on the hammer's bottom. Also, there is a spring loaded cam lever that "pole vaults" the sear over the cup shaped half cock slot as the hammer goes all the way forward to hit the precussion cap and not catch inside the half cock slot instead.

I should take a picture of the lock and show you guys, but my tools are at work right now.
Old February 24, 2006, 12:45 PM   #9
wgr

DGW m1874sharps"business rifle

can anyone tell me about this rifle sold by DGW made by pedersoli. would really like to have a sharpsbut most r out of my reach as far as cost

Last edited by wgr; February 24, 2006 at 05:31 PM.
Old February 28, 2006, 03:38 AM   #10
Weird Guy

Really there are only three kinds of blackpowder, and then later three kinds of cartridge guns.

The carbine, for cavalry troops to use and reload while still on horseback.
The military rifle, for the infantry.
The sporting rifle, which has less wood, thick barrel, and a double set trigger, and a choice of gunsights.

The different sporting rifles are more or less minor differences, and almost always cosmetic. Some of them have silver coated parts, like the cap on the wood foregrip.

The business rifle is supposedly the most basic Sharps Sporting rifle made, with no frills like special sights, and only average grade walnut wood, no checkering to the wood, and no "pistol" grip to the wood stock.

From looking at the gunsight on the rear of the rifle it might not even be anything but a V sight on an elevation rail, like any rifle might have.