The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 22, 2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Zamudio09

First handgun

Hello everyone. This is my first post on these forums, and I have a question. I will be getting my first handgun this coming Monday, a beretta 92fs inox. The deposit is already down just waiting the 72 hour hold. I've shot a couple different guns before, and figured this was the one for me. I have hearing and eye protection, now my question is in regards to cleaning it. I saw a universal cleaning kit I am going to get, but I need help with the oils. I don't know which to get, and could they be purchased in a hardware store like menards or Home Depot. Should I clean it before I shoot it, or is it safe to use right after I pick it up? Sorry for the long wall of text.
Old December 22, 2012, 02:48 PM   #2
chris in va

Welcome to the board.

I would go ahead and clean it first, using something like Hoppes or equivalent. I've been using synthetic motor oil for years on various firearms with good results. Just take a q-tip and put a light film on all sliding contact surfaces. Doesn't take much.

I would also recommend you take a handgun safety course ASAP if you haven't done so already. There's a lot that new shooters aren't aware of regarding trigger discipline and safety practices.
Old December 22, 2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Lost Sheep

Welcome to the orum and thanks for asking our advice

Zamudio09

Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking our advice.

Congratulations on your new gun. Is it your first firearm?

I generally field-strip and inspect every gun I ever get before shooting. In recent years, I have read the advice of others suggesting that a full cleaning is in order because some factories have been know to leave metal shavings and debris inside. It is a sad comment on quality control.

If it is a gun with which I am unfamiliar, I usually ask the owner (if used) or store clerk (if new or used) to show me how to strip and reassemble.

I have used a variety of oils over the years. Any good machine oil seems to do as well as any other. There are some specialty lubricants in my cleaning box, mostly from www.tetraproducts.com/ But even motor oil will do in a pinch.

Some guns are intended to run "dry", with just a little lubrication. Some do better with more. I don't know about the Beretta. See what the owner's manual says and ask the seller. Follow the owner's manual precisely. Even the most expensive gun oil is a lot cheaper than what you will pay a gunsmith to fix excessive wear.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep
Old December 22, 2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Zamudio09

Yes it is my first firearm. So I should clean it first. I was hoping to shoot about 200 rounds, seeing as how it's Christmas, they'll close an hour after I'm legally allowed to pick it up. I've been you tubing videos on how to clean it, I just wanted to make sure I'm using the right stuff.
Old December 22, 2012, 03:46 PM   #5
ripnbst

Any cleaners you find in the gun section of your local sporting goods store will work fine. Likewise for oils. For me I buy the cheapest oils I can find because what I do is clean with hoppes, coat pretty much everything I can in CLP, and then if will be shooing it that day I oil it with whatever right before leaving home to head out. When I get home, it's cleaned again.

Because of the short time my oil is on there I don't stress much on the oil so long as it is a "gun oil". Synthetic motor oil works too.

For my carry gun that needs to be lubed and ready for deployment at a moments notice I use frog lube for oil and coat exterior surfaces in CLP to avoid corrosion. LOVE CLP for protection, lubrication not so much. Carry gun gets stripped, cleaned, and re oiled 4 times a year or more if I shoot it at the range.
Old December 22, 2012, 03:58 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Why clean the gun before going to the range?

Familiarization. You get to know your firearm, the control mechanisms, how it works and how to handle it.

So, clean it and be safe.
Old December 22, 2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Budda

That 92 is THE BEST looking full size 9mm bar none!!! (sorry 1911 guys)...

EXCELLENT first handgun!!! It will last forever!!!!
Old December 24, 2012, 12:37 AM   #8
jmhyer

Another reason to clean and lube it first is so that, if there are any malfunctions, you will know it isn't because it was not clean and properly lubed.
Old December 24, 2012, 02:10 AM   #9
Buzzcook

Hoppes 9 and rem oil are what I use mostly.

With one exception all of my guns were used when I got them. I clean them fairly well before I first use them.
Even the one new gun I got was cleaned as soon as I got it.

Without exception none of them "needed" to be cleaned, but better safe than sorry.
Old December 24, 2012, 05:38 AM   #10
1goodshot

I clean all my guns with CLP after shooting and them just wipe them down every week or so.. Some guns like the Beretta I use a little grease on the rails.
You need a good holster for it now.
Old December 24, 2012, 09:13 AM   #11
Nathan

Quote:
Why clean the gun before going to the range?
Guns usually come with more of a storage oil on them IMO. This stuff seems to not have great lubricating properties. So, I clean them and apply good lubricant like Weapon's Shield.

I would not go to a hardware store looking for a cleaning kit. As a matter of fact, I would not buy a cleaning kit.

I would look for these items:
Basic gun cleaning kit list
Old December 24, 2012, 09:18 AM   #12
spaniel

My favorite gun cleaner/lubricant is CLP. For certain weapons I feel need to run a little "wetter", I use RemOil. Bore cleaning is somewhat different; Hoppe's #9 is a good general powder/residue solvent, if you end up with copper deposit issues (typically a rifle problem) it opens a whole other discussion.

If you are limited to what you can find in a hardware store, I used "3-in-1 oil" for many years with no issues.
Old December 24, 2012, 10:34 AM   #13
loose_holster_dan

get very familiar with your gun. the beretta 92 is a fantastic first gun. easy to take apart and clean. recoil is very easy to handle as it is big and heavy and only firing 9mm. very accurate due to the long barrel and sight radius. i learned on a taurus clone myself. luckily for you, you get to learn on a quality firearm instead of a taurus POS.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 24, 2012, 01:26 PM   #14
Chainsawjames

The Beretta 92 series are great guns. It's always good to field strip and inspect a new gun before shooting it. I always relube as well. Certain gun oils/lubes tend to migrate from critical areas during shipping and storage.
Old December 24, 2012, 08:41 PM   #15
Zamudio09

I went ahead and took everyone's advice and cleaned, with the help of the people of my local gun store, before firing today. 100 rounds smoothly, went home cleaned it again. I purchased a cleaning kit from Menards which aside from the rods and oil wasn't very helpful, at least I didn't find it very helpful. I used q tips for most of my cleaning ran patches through the barrel until it was clean, and oiled the slide and other parts as well. I'm happy with my purchase, and am looking forward to take the hour and a half trip to cabelas for some actual cleaning supplies, more ammo, and a good holster.
Old December 24, 2012, 11:19 PM   #16
ClydeFrog

Cleaning kits, CLPs....

There are a few good gun care & cleaning products you can buy.
Remington has a new bore cleaning system called SQ-UEEGE. It removes gunk & lead with one pass. The BoreSnske Viper is great too.
Many gunners use Hoppes #9, 7.62 solvent or Butch's. A well made CLP(clean protect lube) can be used as a regular gun care product. Brands include LPX, Ballistol, Gunzilla, and Weaponshield. NOTE: do not use a lot of oil or CLP. Excess oil or lube can cause problems. A small bottle can last a few years.

Brownells is a highly respected source for gunsmithing & cleaning items. See www.brownells.com

Stay safe & happy holidays:
Clyde
Old December 25, 2012, 09:16 AM   #17
qwiksdraw

Safari Charlie's gun lube works great too.

www.cleaninglubricant.com
Old December 25, 2012, 11:48 AM   #18
dgludwig

There are three major objectives to accomplish when caring for most any firearm: Cleaning, lubrication and protection. Some products claim to do all three chores and, in my experience, some (CLP or Break Free for instance) do a pretty good job of it and most others do at least a passable job. However, I generally prefer to use a product that specifically addresses each piece of work. For example, I like something like Hoppes No.9 or Shooters Choice for cleaning the bore and other parts of the gun; CLP or TW 25 b for the task of lubrication and Gunslick Metal Seal for protection.

And welcome to The Firing Line!
Old December 25, 2012, 12:34 PM   #19
ClydeFrog

gun oil/CLP range shooting...

In general, I give my firearms a quick pass of Ballistol or CLP before I go shooting on a range. It lubes the moving parts & aids cleaning later on.
As I posted, don't use a lot of oil or CLP. A few drops is all you need.
Professional gunsmiths & LE armorers who attend gun company seminars all say improper cleaning or using a lot of gun oil are some of the biggest problems.

Clyde
Old December 25, 2012, 12:48 PM   #20
colbad

You have to clean it anyway after shooting so what does it hurt to do first. If you give it a cleaning up front you will see how all goes together should you need to strip on the range. Also, some of the new non-petroleum products like frog lube are non toxic and do a fantastic job on the whole gun. I wish I had some of these in Afghanistan to avoid the stick of dust and dirt to oily surfaces. I am now changing over to Frog Lube on all my FAs.
Old December 25, 2012, 04:07 PM   #21
Sheriff Gotcha

I just use Ballistol for both cleaning and lubing, works just fine for me. Hoppes makes good stuff as well so you can get a cleaning kit from them with most of the stuff you'll need.

Tags
cleaning