The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old October 16, 2002, 04:15 PM   #1
ankara36

Century Arms Runaround

Well, looks like I'll won't be giving Century any money today.

Today they had their stainless receiver CETME on sale for $369.87. Sounds great, eh? What they don't tell you is that they won't let you pay for it and ship it to an FFL01 they have on file. No, you have to have the FFL holder order it for you. Of the FFLs in this area that are on file, one I talked to told me he could get it for $450! The other is waiting for his rep. to call him back. It's past 5:15 pm now, so I don't hold out much hope.

This is in contrast to companies like WG&A, that I was able to get two Imbel NGLs (FAL receivers) from them with a $20 transfer fee on each one, through a local FFL.

After today's fiasco, I doubt I'll be placing any orders with Century on my C&R.
Old October 16, 2002, 04:29 PM   #2
bastiat

Is this something new? I've bought before and just had to give them my FFL's name, and let the FFL know that the rifles were on the way.

Do you know who you talked to there???
Old October 17, 2002, 01:11 PM   #3
ankara36

To bastiat;

I didn't talk to my rep., as usual, she was not available, so I got passed around like a drunk blonde at a frat party until somebody was willing to talk to me.

I plan on sending a flame mail to my rep., or call demanding another rep.
Old October 17, 2002, 02:08 PM   #4
ankara36

I just got off the phone with Century. The customer rep said that I have two options:

1) I can call my FFL and give hime my credit card number. The FFL then uses my credit card to order the gun.

2) I can order it myself, but I have to be present at the FFL's place of business, and the FFL has to verify right then and there that its OK for me to use his FFL.

She also said calling from my home or other place would be ILLEGAL, even though I checked with the FFL before, because I am 'using' his license.

[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]??!!!!
Old October 18, 2002, 01:15 PM   #5
ankara36

To bastiat;

The problem was tracked down to an ignorant salesperson who thinks she's some kind of attorney and has her own interpretation of firearms laws.

I talked to another customer rep. who told me the whole thing about having an FFL order it for me is BS and that I could handle it by ordering it then having the local FFL confirm it, as I have done in the past with other vendors.

The customer rep. said he might be able to get the CETME at the sale price still if I ordered it right then. I passed on it since I felt that if there is that kind of chaos at Century, what will I have to go through if I need to return it?

The SAR-1 I have I got by shopping around until I found a nice one (looked and handled a dozen or more at various places). Probably the best approach to take with Century's home brew guns.

Plus, I felt like I needed to make a point to this guy that he lost a sale, and needs to thrash somebody over in sales. Where I work, our sales staff works with the customer, no matter how small, and tries to say 'yes', or at least gets their facts straight before they must say 'no.'
Old October 18, 2002, 02:50 PM   #6
bastiat

kidao - it's what I thought it would be. Ignorant salesperson making up their own rules as they go along. I was lucky when I used them and didn't experience the same kind of runaround.

Please do complain to the higher ups. I'd hate to think how many people who weren't as enlightened on firearms law she lied to and now believe her BS.
Old October 18, 2002, 02:57 PM   #7
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. I had a kind of similar situation with Century and will never trade with them again.

I ordered some ammo, which they shipped to the wrong address.

I noted that something was wrong while tracking the shipment.
Sure enough, they confirmed that while they'd gotten the address way wrong, I could NOT be refunded until THEY received back the package that THEY sent to the WRONG location.

I was refunded. I'm glad that whomever didn't keep the package or it looks like I'd have been out my money for their mess up.

Best.
Old November 8, 2002, 03:29 AM   #8
RS Coyote

And I am one of those that will not make an order to Century. Or buy anymore of there [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]y producks.
Old November 8, 2002, 04:53 PM   #9
Jason Demond

I ordered a VZ24 Mauser from them a few months ago on my C&R. I paid $92.00 for it. I received in in four days, and in the condition I expected. I would do business with them again.
Old November 10, 2002, 09:58 PM   #10
hunter

Century Arms

I do alot of ordering from Century Arms. I never had a problem. The salesman I have gives me a call at least twice a month to check to see if I need anything, plus they e-mail me with specials that they having. As far as someone using my FFL to order from them. I don't do that. Its my license.
Old November 22, 2002, 03:46 PM   #11
Tropical Z

My FFL approved me with his salesman and as long as i deal with him,everything is fine.
Old November 22, 2002, 06:01 PM   #12
jthuang

Not quite a bash of Century, but TFLers from the SE PA area will recall a gunshow dealer who has a sign on his table that certain Century rifles are "MADE FOR THE CIA" -- as in made for Century International Arms. Sheesh.

Justin
Old December 4, 2005, 11:49 PM   #13
ammunition-man

century arms inc

I never had any truble with em

I get an ffl from my local dealer and i send it in with the money and the gun
is shiped to my local dealer for pick up and we do the paperwork and the call
in