The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 2, 2001, 02:15 PM   #1
ok3wire

I just purchased an early 70's vintage High Standard Military Model Victor .22LR semiauto. While giving it a good thorough cleaning, I removed the right side grip. Much to my surprise removing the grip left the slide stop lever free to fall from the frame recess it sets in. Perhaps even more surprising is the fact that the (darn near microscopic) slide lock lever spring was not securely attached to either the lever or the frame. Question number one: Is this the normal situation for a High Standard Victor?

You can probably see where this story is headed. While attempting to reinstall the slide lock lever, the spring lived up to its name and sprang off to parts unknown. Fortunately I've been able to locate a replacement, but I'm not anxious to have a recurrence of this experience. Question number two: Do you think it would be OK to solder the end of the spring into the tiny depression in the slide stop lever so this won't happen again? Thanks in advance.
Old May 2, 2001, 03:32 PM   #2
Poohsdad

You could put some thick grease in the hole, that might do the trick. Or, you could just not remove that grip again. As a side note, i have one of those springs for sale for $5.00 shipping included if you havent already ordered it. PAT
Old May 2, 2001, 04:42 PM   #3
ok3wire

Thanks, Pat. Unfortunately, the hole in the slide stop lever that accepts the spring isn't deep enough for grease alone to do the job. I just can't believe that High Standard designed the pistol in this manner.

I appreciate the offer on the spring, but, as fate would have it, the first one I located has already shipped.
Old May 3, 2001, 12:13 AM   #4
Alex Johnson

I'm in the process of rebuilding an HD Military. I wouldn't advise trying to solder that spring on, it is simply too small and you would completely remove the temper from it, it would probably continue to work for awhile anyway, but eventually it would flatten out. If it is really worrying you about losing it clean both the slide stop and the spring with acetone, or rubbing alcohol to remove all oil and grease and than glue it into place with a small amount of super glue, or some other reasonably strong, removable adhesive.
Old May 3, 2001, 02:54 PM   #5
ok3wire

Thanks for the tip, Alex. I obviously hadn't considered the effect soldering would have on the spring temper.

Perhaps a little JB Weld would do the trick. It's a more permanent solution that super glue, but could be drilled out at a later date if need be.