The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 22, 2011, 02:07 AM   #1
bamaranger

bamaboy strikes again

Bamaboy notched up another one, dropping a nice 150 lb half rack 5 pt at 175 yds last weekend with the same .243 Savage 110 that belonged to his Grandad.

Load was a .243/100 gr Nosler Partition, loaded by me. Rifle zeroed 2" high at 100.

Buck came into view on a ROW at 400 yds and the boy (15) had to keep a grip until it got in reasonable range, say 15 min or so. Kept his cool and delivered a perfect (supported) shot on a quartering in target, keeping the slug out of the guts and across the chest cavity. All the while, light fading and the wind not ideal. Deer went about 50 yds, but I don't see how.

Boy's big enough now, that he was a real help in the rough, but short drag we had too!!!!!
Old January 22, 2011, 06:47 AM   #2
hooligan1

Congrats!! Sounds like a perfect "deer hunt", (it's so nice when a plan comes together!)
Old January 22, 2011, 06:52 AM   #3
PawPaw

Good for him. Pat him on the back for me.

I had a similar experience this year with a rifle I bought for a grandkid and took to the deer stand. It's a .243 Savage 10. Shot a small buck in the ribs at 140 yards. Knocked the deer down then he got up and ran into the woods. I waited a half-hour, then trailed him into the forest. Found him piled up about 50 yards down a logging road.

The bullet had shattered a rib on the close side, got into the chest cavity and exploded. When we skinned him we found a hole that you could almost put your fist in, and the heart/lungs were shredded. I don't know how the deer ran off with that kind of wound.

Enjoy the venison, and enjoy hunting with your kid.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 22, 2011, 10:00 PM   #4
GeauxTide

Outstanding.
Old January 22, 2011, 10:37 PM   #5
BIG P

Congrats to the young man, Great to hear we have young responsible people taking up the sport....THANKS for your time DAD.
Old January 22, 2011, 11:55 PM   #6
BIGR

Quit rubbing it in. I am sitting here depressed cause my deer season is over...

Just kidding......Congrats to the young lad. May he get lots more meat soon.

It is good to see the younger hunters having success. There is a 13 year old young man that hunts on my deer lease. He has taken probably 15 to 20 deer since he was 9 or 10, nothing bigger than a six point, til Thanksgiving day of 2010. He shot a big eight point, probably one of the biggest ones taken on our lease. He got the big boy to come out, using the grunt call.

You know we need all the hunters that we can get, especially younger ones. They are the ones that are going to carry on the tradition. These days some kids just want to play video games. What it takes is a father or mentor to get them into hunting. On my deer lease there use to just be 3 of us grown ups hunting it. One of the guys on the lease had a young son that he started bringing when the son was about 7 or 8. I can't remember the age at which the young man killed his first deer, but it was obvious that we had a future hunting buddy amongst us. Each time he took a deer I made it a point to get the digital camera out and take many pictures. I kept a copy and made sure that the young mans dad got copies also. From time to time I look back at those pictures and I take pride in knowing that I got to enjoy those moments at deer camp with father and son. The young man is now 13 and as I mentioned in this post, he has taken one the biggest bucks on our 11 year deer lease. Also I must mention that that young man has a sister that hunts from to time to time and she uses a .270 on those deer with great success.

Last edited by BIGR; January 23, 2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old January 23, 2011, 01:00 AM   #7
Fat White Boy

Good for him!! Glad you are hunting together,...
Old January 23, 2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Hunter Customs

Condradulations to your son on a job well done and you sir for taking the time to teach him.
I feel that I'm really blessed in the fact that I taught my younger brother, my son and my oldest grandson to deer hunt.
I have some fond memories from each one.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter