The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 5, 1999, 03:11 AM   #1
nralife

August 02, 1999

Storey County considers outlawing brothels
VIRGINIA CITY, Nev. (AP) - The impending forfeiture of the Mustang Ranch to the federal government could result in Storey County getting out of the brothel business entirely.

It was the first county in Nevada and in the United States to legalize brothels in 1971.

Federal cases in the past year involving all three Storey County brothels may prompt it to rescind its law allowing "houses of ill fame," Storey County Commission Chairman Chuck Haynes told the Nevada Appeal.

The commission will discuss ramifications of the Mustang Ranch closure when it meets Tuesday in the county courthouse. No action regarding prostitution or the Mustang Ranch will be taken at that time.

"We have to talk about how we are going to compensate for the loss of revenue," Haynes said.

Mustang Ranch provides one-sixteenth of the county's revenue in brothel, liquor and boarding house licenses, or about $233,000 this year.

Haynes said that will mean a noticeable cut somewhere in the county's $4 million budget.

Haynes said the prospects of industrial development at the 101,000-acre Asamera Ranch are a for the future, but work there at the north end of the county is in its infancy.

"In the long term, industrial revenue will far outweigh the brothels but not now," Haynes said.

The court-ordered permanent closure of the Mustang Ranch I and Mustang Ranch II brothels next Monday brings more turmoil to the county than a loss of revenue.

A federal judge reversed the county's order to close Old Bridge Ranch because of owner David Burgess' alleged ties to the Hells Angels.

Haynes said the Storey County Commission has had troubled relations with Old Bridge Ranch but good relations with the Mustang, making closure of that brothel a distinct possibility.

"If we're looking at having Burgess, a thorn in our side, as the only operating brothel, we have to look at the potential," he said.

Old August 5, 1999, 06:32 AM   #2
HS

"Haynes said the prospects of industrial development at the 101,000-acre Asamera Ranch are a for the future, but work there at the north end of the county is in its infancy."

I say with that much land they should open a really BIG outdoor range complex !
Guys still get to get their pistols outa their holsters & PAY to shoot...
Am I being too Freudian about this?...lol

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/

Old August 5, 1999, 12:57 PM   #3
nralife

HS,

Yes we know how your mind operates. Guns and babes. Babes and guns. Babes holding guns, but hopefully no babes with their OWN guns. Ha HA! That would be Aussie style women.

Joe
Old August 5, 1999, 01:25 PM   #4
DC
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmm...

Guess that means all those young ladies will have to go to Washington DC and become interns

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Old August 5, 1999, 08:44 PM   #5
Jim V

DC, I don't think so, the ladies at the brothels MUST, just hafta, look better than the famed intern. Lets face it, the women that the Clinton group seem to like are not all that good looking.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Old August 6, 1999, 12:23 PM   #6
Futo Inu

A time and place for everything....

Dammit, I wish they'd open those brothels in my county. I can go to the range at any time, and paying to whip out my gun and shoot is satisfying all right, but not THAT satisfying!