The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 14, 2015, 11:26 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Tuckable hybred holsters... yeh or ney ???

I've always carried OWB strong side ( over 10 years now ), & been wearing untucked shirts for long before I started carrying, so anyone that knows me, knows it's normal... I am a manager though, & thought I should get a couple holsters I could tuck a shirt if needed or wanted... trouble is, I don't really like a tucked shirt, throw in an inside waistband holster, & I'm really uncomfortable... add to that, I'm "middle aged" & getting the affliction that hits many of us, where I have no butt, & getting a bigger belly... so my belt needs to be tight enough top hold up my pants I'm thinking a couple sets of nicer suspenders to help hold up my now looser belt from IWB carry...

just wondering how you get your shirt tucked in, reasonably smoothly around a "tuckable" holster, & what you do for comfortable carry??? seems I need to move the holster further back, or sitting down is a big pain in the side??? ... maybe it's just something I need to get used to ???
Old April 14, 2015, 11:40 AM   #2
Cheapshooter

I have Theis Holster's IWB Hybrid holster for several of my CCW options. I generally don't tuck in my shirt, but it isn't hard to do. But with the standard clips it does leave the two clips visible on your belt. If that is the way you must carry, then the "J" clip option offered by other makers may be better as most of the clip is hidden by the belt with that system.
Although they are comfortable, they can chafe against bare skin a bit. One thing that I found to relieve this, and make the holster nearly unnoticeable to the wearer is to always wear an under shirt of some kind. Even with my most often dress, T shirt and jeans, a "Beater" under a T shirt makes for very comfortable carry.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 14, 2015, 06:01 PM   #3
stonewall50

Bumping this.

How noticeable are tuckables? I'm starting to put on more dress clothing and tuck in my shirt. I have never tried one of these. I was looking at a Galco with 2 books.
Old April 14, 2015, 08:09 PM   #4
Wishoot

I have a couple versions for my Shield. A FoxX Hybrid and a High Noon.

They both conceal the gun very well and are easy to tuck. Frankly, you really can't see the gun at all.

My problem with tuckable holsters is that it's much more difficult for me to draw the pistol.
Old April 14, 2015, 08:37 PM   #5
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishoot View Post
I have a couple versions for my Shield. A FoxX Hybrid and a High Noon.

They both conceal the gun very well and are easy to tuck. Frankly, you really can't see the gun at all.

My problem with tuckable holsters is that it's much more difficult for me to draw the pistol.

Well I'm mainly concerned about the belt loops. Are they that noticeable? Or not really?
Old April 14, 2015, 09:11 PM   #6
X_shooter

Only you will notice the loops unless you wear white pants and a white belt. Black loops are hardly noticable on a brown belt, but I woul stick with darker colors. They help everything blend in.
Old April 15, 2015, 06:48 AM   #7
Wishoot

Quote:
Well I'm mainly concerned about the belt loops. Are they that noticeable? Or not really?
No. Not really. The folds of the shirt around your waist should cover most of the holster clip.

The holster clip (and possibly the holstered gun) will become more noticeable when your stretching or reaching.
Old April 16, 2015, 07:00 PM   #8
histed

I carry a .38 snubby in a DeSantis tuckable and find it very comfortable and easy to conceal. Definately go with the tee shirt under your dress shirt, especially in hot weather. My other IWB is an AlienGear for both the SD9VE and a SCCY CPX-2. It is slower to draw, but a lot of practice helps. I'm not comfortable with an untucked shirt, so this is my normal carry. I also agree with the J-hook option. If you want, many of the makers also offer a "C" style clip, but I find the earlier comments to be accurate - few, if any, people will even notice. Heck, they ignored my Sneaky Pete for years!
Old April 17, 2015, 09:04 PM   #9
Aptivus

Crossbreed offers a belt that is lined on the inside with velcro, they also sell velco clips for their holsters, totally concealed belt clips.
Old April 19, 2015, 12:39 PM   #10
Dragline45

I wear tucked in dress shirts and slacks to work, for me to wear an IWB tuckable I would need to wear a pants size up and a shirt size up, not going to happen. I need to maintain a professional look, dress shirts and slacks are supposed to be form fitting not baggy, therefore I pocket carry for work.
Old April 22, 2015, 02:48 AM   #11
Brotherbadger

Quote:
Only you will notice the loops unless you wear white pants and a white belt. Black loops are hardly noticable on a brown belt, but I woul stick with darker colors. They help everything blend in.
Yup. You'd have to be REALLY close to notice them, and even that is avoidable if you leave your shirt loosely tucked in.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old April 22, 2015, 07:51 AM   #12
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline45 View Post
I wear tucked in dress shirts and slacks to work, for me to wear an IWB tuckable I would need to wear a pants size up and a shirt size up, not going to happen. I need to maintain a professional look, dress shirts and slacks are supposed to be form fitting not baggy, therefore I pocket carry for work.

Depends on the pistol though. Thank you for that information though. Things like bersa thunders are very slim.
Old April 22, 2015, 09:21 AM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

I've used either a CBST or a Theis (depending on which pistol I carried at the time) for almost 5 years. Currently, a G19 in a CBST is the usual. As I ordinarily wear a jacket of some kind, but it's really not hard to tuck the shirt over the pistol, nor is it very noticeable. On those occasions that I do tuck the shirt, I can wear it all day without any discomfort at about the 3:30 position. It really makes no difference whether I'm sitting, standing, driving, etc.

I swapped the cross-marked belt clips on my CBST with plain ones, just because I thought the distinctive cross screamed "HOLSTER" to anyone who had any clue what they were looking at. The only time that I know I've been "made" was at the NRA convention in 2013 and it happened twice:

(1) I was met pax face-to-face and she picked it out; and
(2) while I was looking at holsters, a holster maker unexpectedly slapped a holster onto my hip to show me how his holster fits. Naturally, he planted it right on top of my pistol. The look in his eyes led me to believe that he was surprised, but neither of us said a word about it.

MWM, I'm in something of the same position you are: middle-aged, with the Middle Age Spread creeping up on me, and I'll vote "yay" on the tuckable IWB. Your pants need to be about an inch or two large to accommodate the pistol, and the shirt will also need to be slightly big.
1) Put on pants, belt and holster. (The first couple of times you put the holster on, you'll feel like a contortionist. That's OK.)
2) Put gun in holster.
3) Tuck shirt over holster. Let your belt out as far as you can without it actually being undone. Tuck the shirt in all around, being sure to get some fabric between the kydex shell and the beltline of your pants. It may bunch up a little right where the belt clips are, but that's OK.
4) Tighten the belt down.
5) Pull up a little bit of fabric all around on the shirt, so that you have just a little looseness around the waistline. You don't want the shirt so tight that you print every time you move.