The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 16, 2013, 03:51 AM   #1
Clevinger

Beretta Xtrema 2 Shotguns: Worth the Hype?

I am really asking with interest. The title shouldn't be viewed as a challenge. It may be my next purchase.

I am fond of Benelli, but the Xtrema 2s from Beretta seem to garner high praise. From Field and Stream:

Quote:
Beretta's 3 1/2-inch waterfowl gun is simple, easy to maintain, soft shooting and, with its rust-resistant "Aqua" coating, totally weatherproof. Inside, the Xtrema is a marvel of simplicity. The gas system consists of just three parts, and the return spring is located on the magazine tube, where it's easily accessed. The stock-mounted Kick-Off recoil reducer works so well that this is the only gun out of which I would consider shooting the abominable 3 1/2-inch magnum. Given time to establish a track record, it may turn out to be the best waterfowl gun ever. Period.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos...ode-1000014271
Old July 16, 2013, 06:28 AM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Sounds like the new "Blink" gas system I have on the A400 Xplor. If so, it IS easy to clean and works well. My 3.5" model will NEVER see 3.5, or 3, or even heavy 2-3/4 hunting loads as it is my wife's sporting clays gun. It works my 3/4oz 12 gauge target loads with no malfs of any kind, so yes - if it is the same system, it is a good gun
Old July 16, 2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Clevinger

I take it few people have them?
Old July 16, 2013, 06:18 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Maybe on THIS forum, but try www.shotgunworld.com and you'll find a whole lot more who do

more folks here are into less expensive pump guns
Old July 16, 2013, 07:00 PM   #5
BigJimP

I've seen a few of them around...and they're getting good reviews.....but I don't own one.

The only semi-autos I have these days...are Benelli Super Sport models in 12ga and 20ga....which are both more Target guns ...or upland bird guns....but I like them both a lot ( 12ga in 30" barrel / 20ga in a 28" ).....recoil pads, comb pad both snap on and off easily - and optional pads are a little expensive ( about $ 85 ) ...but its a very versatile gun. I primarily use them as training guns for my grandkids...but I will shoot the 12ga myself...and I will use it as a "foul weather" gun or as a "travel gun" does a multiple of things pretty well...vs traveling with expensive Over Unders...