The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 3, 2008, 01:32 AM   #1
Acrawford36

NEED HELP! M1 Carbine/30 Carbine

Hey guys new to the board and need help. My dad has a 30 cal. m1 carbine. my mom bought it for him back in the 80's for a christmas present, he kept it up pretty good for a while, until bout 12 years ago he said was the last he fired it. We took it to the range few months back and after every shot you have to manually chamber another round because i believe the gas system is stopped up. I took it apart last night trying to fix it for him and ya its gonna take a little bit more elbow grease to properly clean it, its not like the normal m1's its a cheaper clone she got from jcpenny and the gas system doesnt have a nut on the end of it. i left some break free in gas block over night and you can tell it helped...only a tiny bit though. so my question is should i try and find another barrel and gas block or do you think if i keep puting break free or liquid wrench in the block it will hlep.

Any advice would be great
Old November 3, 2008, 12:17 PM   #2
10-96

Old carbon that has set for years can get REAL tough. I would first opt for the additional elbow grease method first- and maybe even break my own cardinal rule and employ a little JB-12, or carb or brake cleaner in just that area.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 3, 2008, 12:22 PM   #3
ISC

Is it a Universal or a Iver Johnson?

Niether is a clone (except for the very first Universals made from USGI parts in the 50's or 60's.

Some Universals and IJ carbines work great. Some are crap. clean it well and try it again. If you try to get parts for it, be aware that GI parts won't work, and even the aftermarket parts they were assembled from specific to a serial number range.
Old November 3, 2008, 04:35 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Iver Johnson carbines are GI compatible.
Old November 3, 2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Creature

Sounds like carbon build up. Nothing a little crud cutter and a pipe cleaner cant take care of...
Old November 3, 2008, 05:40 PM   #6
ISC

Yes bill. you are correct, Iver Johnsons do accept GI parts, they just weren't made for government use. All IJ carbines were made more than 30 years after WWII for civilian consumption.
Old November 3, 2008, 11:22 PM   #7
Acrawford36

IRT ISC, its made by Universal.
thanks guys for the help, ill just let some more break-free sit in it, i was gonna try some stuff called Kroil, a guy i know said he uses it on stuck together gun parts so if the break free dont work ill try that.
Thanks again for the help guys.

Last edited by Acrawford36; November 4, 2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old November 4, 2008, 11:45 AM   #8
rocket12

my universal is not gas operated, but is blowback.the GI issued were all gas operated
Old November 4, 2008, 12:37 PM   #9
10-96

If you go with the Kroil (great stuff- love it)- let it sit for a couple of hours and let it soak in.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 5, 2008, 08:31 PM   #10
lmccrock

Quote:
my universal is not gas operated, but is blowback.
My Universal (ca. 1979) is gas operated, although it is not a USGI gas system.

Just clean it up good.

Lee
Old November 5, 2008, 08:54 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

There were some experimental rifles and SMGs chambered for the .30 Carbine cartridge that used roller locking, primer actuation and other systems, but the Universal and all the other carbine clones were gas operated, using the original short stroke piston. None were blowback except those carbine lookalikes made to fire the .22 Long Rifle.

Note that Universal did make some carbines with a gas cutoff lever on the cylinder. With the lever in cutoff position, the carbine will not function semi-automatically but has to be manually operated.

Jim