The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 26, 2000, 12:17 PM   #1
Tango27

I'm considering buying the Ciener .22 conversion kit for my AR-15. Does anyone have some words of wisdom on the use of this conversion kit? Are there any special cleaning procedures (barrel, chamber or gas tube), etc. since the rimfire cartridge burns so dirty? Will it have a negative effect when I switch back to the 5.56mm?

Tango
Old January 26, 2000, 02:16 PM   #2
jcoyoung

Hey Tango,

If haven't already done so, check out the AR15.com Pistol and Rimfire discussion forum.

http://forums.ar15.com/cgi/forumdisplay.cgi?actio n=topics&forum=Rimfire+and+Pistol+Calibers&number=22&DaysPrune=10&LastLogin=

I was considering the Ciener kit for my AR, but decided against it after I read some negative comments. (Magazine probs, ejection probs, questionable accuracy). Now I am waiting for the release of the Victor Arms 22LR dedicated upper.
Old January 26, 2000, 08:57 PM   #3
PROSOUTH

I got mine from SARCO some years back. It is the US GI issue. It is now available from Olympic Arms. Very reliable and functions flawlessly. The Magazine is an insert that goes into a twenty round mag. I think it came with three mag inserts.

PROSOUTH
Old January 27, 2000, 07:58 AM   #4
slickpuppy

Don't know what your budget is, but you may want to try a Ceiner or other conversion along with a dedicated upper for your .22 rimfire needs. I was checking in to this and Derek Martin, the owner of Accuracy Speaks builds one with Douglas or Kreiger barrels with a twist rate more conducive for accuracy with the rimfire cartridge. http://www.accuracyspeaks.com
You may want to email him for a snail mail catalog and a price quote.
Old January 27, 2000, 09:24 AM   #5
BigG

If you got one of the ole Colt Prebans, they have 1/12 twist. The 22 RF normally takes a 1/16 twist, IIRC. The newer AR15s have a 1/7 twist so it really torques the bullet. Recommend try before you buy. HTH

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts, it may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up.
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG

Old January 27, 2000, 04:32 PM   #6
house

i was wondering do you get lead build up whne shooting 22 threw your ar-15?