The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 31, 2013, 01:04 PM   #1
woodnbow

Oohh baby! I like 1860's

I found a nice Centaure 1860 on an auction site. Two questions. Why do they list for seven whole long agonizing days??? In really nice unfired condition what would a fair price be?
Old January 31, 2013, 01:12 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

I've seen em go for $500+
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 31, 2013, 02:14 PM   #3
Old Dragoon

The One I bought in Dec was $400.00 but it is a cavalry or 3rd model with fluted cylinder. it had never been fired but was stored badly in a holster for 50 years so pitted in places and a small bit of rust, but none in bbl, someone tried to clean up the outside of the bbl with steel wool it looks like, nothing a good re blue would not fix.

Go to: www.1960nma.org and read about these wonderful pistols.
Old January 31, 2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Doc Hoy

I have formed an opinion based upon my eBay and GB experience.

If the seller believes that the number of persons who have a good understanding of the item which is for sale, I call it the serious market, (Because both eBay and Gunbroker have attracted a market which includes folks who are anything but serious.) Then it is a good idea to permit the auction to run for a longer time so as to increase the likelihood that a high percentage of the "serious market" will see the listing.

Since Centaures are unique and quite valuable, one might assume that the serious market for a Centaure (The shooters who; a) are familiar with the marque, b) understand why they command a higher price, and c) want one enough to pay the price.) is smaller than the serious market for just a run-of-the-mill cap and ball revolver.

An alternate strategy would be to set the opening price high run the item for only three days but set it to automatically relist until sold. This would be more convenient for the serious market.
Old January 31, 2013, 03:37 PM   #5
Willie Sutton

^^ What Doc says, plus this:

It's worth exactly what someone will pay.

I ought to know what they are worth... I bought <looks sadly at toes> four of the darned things in the last week.... Three are from the same seller though. You know the drill "I'll make you a package deal and toss in a shoulder stock, a few old powder measures and a dozen old cap boxes"...

Don't go crazy on an unfired one if you want a shooter. I am going to resell two of the four after I grade and examine them. I'll keep a shooter and a safe queen and sell one shooter and one safe queen.

Willie

Old January 31, 2013, 04:13 PM   #6
woodnbow

That was my next question Willie! You gonna sell any of those?...

The cap boxes I mean, maybe a package deal with a shooter?
Old January 31, 2013, 04:14 PM   #7
woodnbow

BTW, thanks for all the replies.... Y'all are sure a bunch of helpful characters..
Old January 31, 2013, 05:08 PM   #8
g.willikers

Here's an article on the Centaure Colts:
http://www.1960nma.org/BriefStory.html
Old January 31, 2013, 05:18 PM   #9
woodnbow

Yeah, I'm on that site now. Leave it to the Germans to take this pistol to the next levels... sheesh! Some really beautiful conversion work there. Just beautiful.
Old January 31, 2013, 06:20 PM   #10
Beagle333

The Centaures sure are pretty. I haven't ever piled up enough money for one, but they are on my "one of these days" list.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 31, 2013, 07:06 PM   #11
Shotput79

NO NO NO Beagle. Just Nota gona do it. Get the Pietta or Uberti and go shooting. That cash for them guns is best used a folding pocket money.
Old January 31, 2013, 07:52 PM   #12
OutlawJoseyWales

Willie, are you gonna' sell them pistols or whistle Dixie?

Somebody had to say it.
OJW
Old January 31, 2013, 07:56 PM   #13
Beagle333

Quote:
NO NO NO Beagle. Just Nota gona do it. Get the Pietta or Uberti and go shooting. That cash for them guns is best used a folding pocket money.
Yeah, that's why I shoot the Piettas and Colt 3rd models.
I'd still like to have a Centaure safe queen though. Just 'cause that's prolly as close as I'd ever get to the original.

One of these days, I'll find an ol' boy who'll let me put a NIB one on Layaway.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:12 PM   #14
Willie Sutton

^^ let me get them here and then I'll sort them and sell them. I'll post them here first, never worry.

Not even had ONE friendly guy in a UPS uniform come to the house yet... it'll be like Christmas here. Until the Mrs sees me.....

Patience,

Willie

Old February 1, 2013, 06:06 AM   #15
radom

Unigue and quite valuable. Give it a bit and it will be like other guns where a original costs less than the reporos do.
Old February 1, 2013, 10:23 AM   #16
woodnbow

" it'll be like Christmas here. Until the Mrs sees me....."

That's usually how Christmas goes around here....
Old February 19, 2013, 11:59 AM   #17
woodnbow

Just got back from the Post Office

Sending a Money order for my "new" 1960 New Model Army... I don't have great pictures of it yet, blue/case seem to be at least 95%, maybe more. No visible dings or dents in wood or metal, the owner thinks it may be unfired, it does show evidence of having been cycled more than a few times. And it's being shipped in the original box with original paperwork/manual... Man I'm stoked!
Old February 19, 2013, 07:06 PM   #18
farmerted

I picked up my fluted cylinder, cavalry model for a sweet 200 bucks. I even pointed out to the shop owner that it wasn't an Italian make like he thought originally. He said I parted with enough cash in his shop that he didn't mind
Old February 19, 2013, 07:20 PM   #19
sltm1

I've got one in the white made in 1969, it's being engraved right now can't wait to get it back...and yes I'll post plenty of pic's!!