The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2012, 04:25 PM   #1
sigshepardo

.338 Lapua brass

I am considering buying a .338 Lapua rifle. Needless to say, I don't want to pay 5 dollars per shot for factory ammo. I am looking into reloading this monster of a cartridge. I was wondering about the brass, it is so expensive. Is there any brands that are better than the others? I see Privi Partisian brass for a fraction of what Lapua brass is. Anything info you guys could provide me on reloading the .338 would be much appreciated.
Old January 30, 2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

For accuracy, Lapua is hard to beat. It is dimensionally much tighter than most other brands and its durability is excellent. The PP may or may not handle reloading well. I've heard mixed reviews of it in other chamberings, so I don't know what to tell you to expect from it in the .338, specifically. If it's cheap enough, all you can do it try. If the results are unsatisfactory or you are wanting top precision long range loads, Lapua would be what I would invest in.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 30, 2012, 06:05 PM   #3
kdog70

Lapua brass is the best on the market hands down. Most people are getting double digit hand loads out of the brass so you get your monies worth. I don't shoot a 338 Lapua because I didn't want a custom action at the time because Savage didn't have their rifle released yet and the Rem was too hard to find. I built a 338edge or a 338-300RUM can go a magnum action magazine fed and I don't give up but maybe 100 fps to a lapua. The 338 bullet class really doesn't shine to the 1300 yard mark on out so if you are not looking to shoot that far you can cheat down to a big 7 or a heavy 30 cal and be just as effective as but that is my shooting steel at that range opinion. Things I learned along the way big bullets and big cases mean big cost and you cant hit what you cant see so optics should/will double rifle cost most likely if you havent found all of that out on your own. Good luck
Old January 30, 2012, 11:12 PM   #4
JMP

I've tried the PP brass and had zero problems with it. I would still be using it but my better half bought me 100 pieces of Lapua brass and I've been using it lately just because it's Lapua. Doesn't seem right to have brand new Lapua brass and not use it but I wouldn't have a problem buying PP again, especially when the PP is $1.20 cheaper per piece. The only complaint I have about the PP brass, and it's not a big deal, is the flash holes needed a little work to make them more consistent.
Old January 31, 2012, 02:39 AM   #5
mrawesome22

PP will be be a fraction of the cost because it is a fraction of the quality.
Old January 31, 2012, 08:03 PM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

The only person I know that shoots that caliber uses Lapua, and Hornady brass. From what he says the Hornady will work, though he prefers the Lapua stuff.