The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 9, 2008, 03:47 PM   #1
Chubbo

ASM Revolver

I reciently purchased a ASM .44 cal Navy style revolver, and a sholder stock. The revolver has a brass frame that is engraved, and the bbl. is also engraved, the cylinder has a roll engraved navy sene, and the loading ram, the trigger and hammer are color case hardened. there are pins on the side of the frame for the attchment of the sholder stock, but no cut in the bottom of the grip strap, so, I guess the stock is not for this pistol. The pistol and stock are in new, unused condition. I bought them primarily to get the stock, which will fit other Black powder revolvers that I have.
I would like to get any information on the ASM Pistol. It is marked Black Powder only, and Made In Italy. There are several proof marks, along with the serial number, on the bottom of the front of the frame. The ser.# is D697xx. The pistol looks to be very well made and finished. Does anyone on this forum know anything about this revolver? What would it be worth?
Thanks.
Chubbo
Old February 9, 2008, 04:06 PM   #2
long rider

I to have a asm in 44 cal 58 remmy, i have had
the pistol for at lest 15 years, i payed 60 bucks
new,and its still going strong, but i do not know
how much its worth, all i know its a good gun and
its got a steel frame.
I shoot bp as well as smokeles.
If it shoots good keep it

Sod Buster Tried To Pull On Willson.
Old February 10, 2008, 07:25 AM   #3
mykeal

The stock may still be for that revolver even without the cutout on the grip frame. Have you tried to install it?

ASM (Armi San Marco of Gardone, Italy) was bought by American Western Arms in 2000 and ceased making c&b revolvers that same year.

The 1851 Navy in .44 cal is not a period correct replica. With the brass frame, shoulder stock and engraving the Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms (Fifth Edition, 2007) would place the value of a 100% condition gun at about $400; 80% of that is for the shoulder stock, and 50% for the engraving.

The BBoMBPA is a guide. Prices can and do vary greatly in actual practice. Brass frame guns are not popular amongst people who regularly shoot their guns, but they make nice display pieces, and the caliber lessens the value with respect to historical interest. So, your set would be of most interest to someone who wants to display it rather than a shooter or a reenactor.

Last edited by mykeal; February 10, 2008 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Spelling. Or is it speling?