The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 14, 2005, 12:12 AM   #1
crashland73

Finally, the "timed" primers rumor discredited...

I called and talked to CCI, Winchester, & Remington and talked to them personally, the ammo guys and the reolading fellers. They assured me and acctually laughed when I asked them about this rumor. Remington said that they were using the same method for the past 100yrs. And they ALL said that they do not make any primers that will go intentionally bad or go bad at all unless you dont store them correctly. This might be new news to some but I have heard this for years since I am an avid reloader and finally just broke down and called them. So.....anyway, I thought you all would want the concrete evidence from the companies. I am glad to get it out of the way now. I didnt call federal because I dont use there products anyway. But feel free to though if you wish. I did see some federal ammo that said no law enforcement sales. Which I dont know why. Hope this helps.
Old June 14, 2005, 12:22 AM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

Glad you got your dilemma solved.
I think there were about five people who bought that rumor, heard four of them live in California.
Denis
Old June 14, 2005, 04:11 AM   #3
Bud Helms

The Handloading & Reloading Forum should be relieved to hear this important news, so I'm moving it there.

Glad that's finally settled.

There's nothing quite like "concrete evidence".
Old June 14, 2005, 08:11 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

This has been settled for years, as it's been a rumor for years.

I dealt with it back in the early 1990s when I was on staff at NRA.
Old June 14, 2005, 09:32 AM   #5
Zekewolf

Fortunately, I never even heard the rumor, but would have dismissed it if I had. Just being the devil's advocate...you really think calling the companies that would have been allegedly participating in such a practice and asking their opinion is "evidence" of anything?
Old June 14, 2005, 09:37 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Well, I think the greatest evidence is sitting in my reloading closet in the basement.

I have Federal, Winchester, and Remington primers, some of which date back to the early to mid 1990s that I'm cycling through. After the great primer scare/shortage at that time I laid in a large supply, 25,000 small pistol primers, and 5,000 large rifle primers.

Not a single one of the old ones has failed to go off.

If the companies are trying to make their primers go chemically inert after a period of time, they're not doing a very good job of it.
Old June 14, 2005, 05:24 PM   #7
kgpcr

I never did belive it. what would happen if you had a squib and then fired again and got injured? It would be traceable to the primers they would face huge lawsuits. never made and sense to me
Old June 14, 2005, 11:12 PM   #8
Old Pete

Mike Irwin: You are a real short-timer. I am using primers that I acquired in the mid 60's, with no problems.

Pete
Old June 15, 2005, 12:45 AM   #9
Leftoverdj

The rumor was that the anti-gunners were going to legislate short life primers. There may even have been some truth in that, but it never got off the ground.
Old June 15, 2005, 06:01 AM   #10
crashland73

I usually tell them that they are punishing the honest people of this country and not the lawless moron. On a side note, I called ruger to ask and finally complain about no 10, 20, or even 30 rnd mags for the mini 14 (or 30) and the factor folding stock and felt that they could care less about the need of the public. I told them that they are in short "commies" and punishing honest people. Why would the gov. worry about us reloaders anyway? It is kind of a slow process anyway. We do it for accuracy. Or I do anyway. If I wanted to stockpile, I would go buy a truckload.
Old June 15, 2005, 07:10 AM   #11
mtnbkr

Quote:
I told them that they are in short "commies"
If you're going to berate them for their business practices (and I'm not saying their practices are good), at least call them names that fit their actions. I could be wrong, but I don't think they believe in govt control of production and redistribution of wealth. I could be wrong though.

Shortsighted, selfish...maybe. Commie...probably not.

Chris
Old June 15, 2005, 09:08 AM   #12
Zekewolf

Yeah, I think "commie" is a little strong, but what exactly was Bill Ruger's socio-political plan when he made that infamous statement that he didn't know any reason for an honest man to have a gun that held over 10 rounds? You think he was just making vibrations in the air, or perhaps he was trying to influence GOVERNMENTcontrol of something?
Old June 15, 2005, 09:25 AM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

He was voicing his OPINION.

Last time I looked, that was his right in this country.

Whether we agree with it or not.
Old June 15, 2005, 10:26 AM   #14
crashland73

It may have been too strong but really think about it, who in their right mind would want to either regulate or eliminate the sale or distribution of clips or guns or ammo? I have called them many times and almost all the time they are polite people that do help. But mention mini stuff like hi caps and they clam up or turn rude. Most of the time anyway. But that is fine. A feller can still find quality aftermarket stuff. Back to the primer thing, around my area is where I first heard of the rumor at gunshows and stuff. Speaking of gunshows LOL!!, have any of you been approached by people trying to sell you illegal stuff? I have qute a few times. Later on a few dealers filled me in on them and I found out they were ATF and or FBI of which I have no use for either but.... One triied to sell me some full auto 7.62x25 rifle. I remember that but not the name, it looks like a pipe with holes in it and has a drum and a wooden stock. Neat little rifle but how stupid are they? I met the guy once and he then just acted like we knew each other for 20 + years. I cought another one following me like a stray dog and after about 30 min. of leading him around and having fun, I asked him if he was going to buy something or just follow me around all day. He got real big eyed and left and I never saw him agan. LOL! I have never dealt in ANY illegal firearm of any sort. I just liked to buy it go home and play for a few months and then sell it. Or trade it which are both legal here and surounding states. Anyway, enough of me on my soapbox, sorry so long.