The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 26, 2004, 06:54 PM   #1
the possum

Help with load info?

Hi all. I was wondering if you guys could suggest some loads that might prove accurate in my brother's muzzle loader. It's a Knight inline, with some cheap scope mounted on top. Heresy, I know, but it's all I've got. No money for anything new.

Last year we tried sighting it in on a cardboard box in the front yard. We tried round balls, buffalo bullets, sabots, and mini balls without much success. This target was only about 35 yards away, and after like 2 hours, we had only put a few holes through the entire thing! I got so fed up I finally got my .45 pistol out and dumped a mag of hardball through it just so I could have the satisfaction of seeing some holes in the paper! My brother has recently told me to just sell the gun for whatever I can get.

Thing is, since season is so close, and I don't have the funds for a proper traditional gun of my own, I'd like to give it one more shot with my brother's gun. I suspect the fault may lie with the cheap scope, so I'm thinking about taking it off altogether. I don't know what rate of twist this rifling has, so if anyone knows, maybe you could mention if it should work better with round balls or conicals. That alone would save me an hour of experimentation. If anyone has experience with one of these rifles, I'd appreciate if you could pass along any loads that worked well for you.

Thanx.
-the possum
Old November 26, 2004, 07:20 PM   #2
Jarhead Ed

I have great success in my Knight using a Hornady 240 XTP over 90 grains of loose triple seven.
Old November 27, 2004, 01:06 AM   #3
Mark whiz

I have a "cheap" Knight too ...................the USAK American Knight. You need to use heavy sabot bullets in it to get good accuracy. It has a 1:28" barrel twist and shallow rifling grooves both of which are conducive to the heavier sabots.

Try the Hornady 300gr XTP Mags and 300gr SSTs with 80gr of 2fg Triple Seven powder or 95gr of Pyro RS powder. Those loads WILL work well in that gun.

Before shooting again, Double check all the scope mounting screws for tightness and verify that the barrel/action is tight in the stock by loosening the bolt a little, wiggling the barrel to make sure it fits, and then tighten the screw good. If the rifle is still all over the place, take off the scope & mounts and try the open sights.......................this REALLY sounds like a scope/mount issue.
!
Old November 27, 2004, 09:54 PM   #4
Jarhead Ed

Quote:
I have a "cheap" Knight too
I didn't even catch that part....Mine is the ultimate in cheap....$100 Knight, $59 Bushnell scope (including rings and bases), and $15 for camo spray paint. I even sold my sights to save a few more bucks....just kidding. Seriously now, being that I hunt mostly in shotgun and muzzleloader only areas, this thing is the ultimate for gun season. I don't care if it gets scratched, and it shoots just dandy. Keep your Knight, even when you get a better one.

s/f
Ed
Old November 28, 2004, 12:22 AM   #5
Mark whiz

Ed........
Looks and sounds like my set-up...............except so far I've been too cheap to spring for the spray paint.

I've resisted the urge to find a "better" rifle...................there is no need as long as this one keeps putting all it's shots into 1 hole at 75yds. Anything better than that would scare me.
!
Old December 1, 2004, 06:14 PM   #6
SmokinTom

Make sure the scope bases are tight as well as the rings. What is the rifling twist? You might try 100grs. of Triple-7 and a 245gr. Powerbelt. Good Luck!