The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 5, 2010, 10:32 AM   #1
JoeFaz

Rifle sights on 12ga?

Greetings:
I have a Mossberg 500 with combo barrels. Longer one is ribber, short one is not. I'd like to look into setting the short one up with some sort of basic rifle-type sights. Nothing fancy, but something more than just the bead.
Any advice?
Thanks!
Old March 5, 2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Uncle Ben

I have the same question, so I'll be interested to see the recommendations.

But I do know that one recommendation is to just buy a new barrel (perhaps around 24") that already has rifle sights on it...because that may be cheaper than having a smith install sights on your existing barrel (which I'm guessing is the 18 1/2", same as the 2nd barrel that I have).

If it is too difficult to install sights myself, or if the sights alone will be almost as much as a new $100 barrel, then a new barrel might be the direction that I'll go in.
Old March 5, 2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Doyle

Don't bother. It will cost you far more to get rifle sights accurately installed (as in the exact proper place) than it will for you to pick up a used sighted barrel on Gunbroker.
Old March 5, 2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Scattergun Bob

JoeFaz

You can sometimes find what you are looking for barrel-wise here http://www.barrelexchange.com/srch_1...&Submit=Search

I tend to agree that installing sights on a bead sighted scattergun is as expensive as a new barrel. You can always sell the old barrel and recoup a bit of the cost.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old March 5, 2010, 07:20 PM   #5
JoeFaz

Thanks, guys. I hadn't even thought of looking at a used barrel already done up with sights. Found several on G/B already!
Old March 5, 2010, 07:30 PM   #6
JoeFaz

Follow-up question

I see several types for sale. Some with scope mojnts (not interested), some with rifle sights (that's what I'm looking for) and other with "fiber optic" sights. I take that to mean those bright green or orange plastic tube-like things at the muzzle?
Also, I see some listed as "rifled slug barrels" and other simply listed as "rifled". Are these actually rifled barrels, or are they referring to the use of a rifled slug? If they are rifled, what do you shoot out of them? The slugs I have all say "rifled" on the boxes.
Old March 5, 2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Lee Lapin

You shoot rifled slugs out of smoothbore barrels and sabot slugs out of rifled barrels. Sabot slugs usually cost a good bit more. And sometimes sabots are more accurate out of rifled barrels as well, depending...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old March 5, 2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Doyle

If you want a multi-purpose barrel that will function for HD as well as slug hunting, then you need a smoothbore. A rifled barrel will shoot buckshot in a donut pattern. You may notice a tad bit of accuracy difference with foster slugs out of a smoothbore as opposed to sabot slugs out of a rifled barrel. However, at reasonable iron sight distances (less than about 75 yds) you'll still get accuracy plenty good enough for a deer or pig.
Old March 5, 2010, 09:54 PM   #9
arizona98tj

Quote:
You may notice a tad bit of accuracy difference with foster slugs out of a smoothbore as opposed to sabot slugs out of a rifled barrel. However, at reasonable iron sight distances (less than about 75 yds) you'll still get accuracy plenty good enough for a deer or pig.
That is quite true....no doubt about it. I recently picked up a FNH SLP and ran some slugs through it after pattern testing some buckshot. At 50 yards, I was more than happy with the results the low cost Federal slugs produced.

Old March 5, 2010, 11:11 PM   #10
JoeFaz

Thanks again to all. I've learned a lot today!
1) Buy a new (or used) 24" smooth bore barrel with rifle sights.
2) Put my 18.5" barrel on G/B to re-coup some of the cost.

I just ordered a tactical collapsible stock for my shotgun. I have the full wood furniture for it along with the 28" vented rib "goose barrel". A while ago I put a pistol grip on it with the 18.5" barrel. While it looks badazz and it's real easy to stow, I don't care for it as it's difficult to handle, and after a couple of rounds it does a number on my hands. Looking forward to extending the barrel another 6" and setting her up with a shoulderable stock.

Thanks.
Old March 6, 2010, 07:27 AM   #11
Doyle

When searching for a rifle-sighted smoothbore, don't pass up versions shorter that the 24" you mentioned. There are lots of 20" models out there that would do the job perfectly.
Old March 6, 2010, 11:36 AM   #12
JoeFaz

Doyle, that's what I would be more interested in. I'd rather not go the extra full 6". But all I've seen thus far have been 24". Does Mossberg make them in 20"? Or are there after market barrels in 20" which are a fit for Mossbergs?
Old March 6, 2010, 12:19 PM   #13
zippy13

At 50 yards, I was more than happy with the results the low cost Federal slugs produced.
You've got no reason to complain, that's some nice slugging.
Old March 6, 2010, 12:31 PM   #14
Doyle

Joe, here is what you are looking for:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=159712517
Old March 6, 2010, 12:34 PM   #15
JoeFaz

Excellent! Thanks.