The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 11, 2008, 09:38 AM   #1
Super-Dave

can you help me with trap shooting?

I have never been trap or skeet shooting. But I plan on going in the future.

When you go to a shotgun club to shoot trap, do you bring your own clay pigeons, or do you buy them there. If you buy them there how much do they cost?

How much does it normally cost to go trap shooting?

Will I be outcasted because I am a normal Joe who actually works for a living and does not have a winter home in the Bahamas?

I dont even own a Ferrari. Will they kick me out because the saw me drive up in a minivan?
Old February 11, 2008, 09:46 AM   #2
carpfisher

Go to mynssa.com and find a local club.
Find out when the public shooting hours and just show up. You pay for your round of 25 targets (trap or skeet.) at the clubhouse. they will most likely provide someone to pull the targets for you. Tell them you are a beginner and they can most likely provide a coach. Most of the time, the regulars would be glad to help you out.
If you don't have a shotgun, you need to inquire if they have club guns available for use or rent.
You can probably get your shells there also.
Nobody cares what you drive.
Old February 11, 2008, 09:50 AM   #3
Musketeer

Where I go you pay $6 a round which covers the clays and they provide the puller. I bring my own ammo, Dicks has pretty good prices, especially on sale, for trap loads. I pay roughly $4 for a box of 25 (one round). For a gun I use a Remington 870 Express with a wingmaster barrel I picked up to shoot trap with off Ebay. I too do not drive a Ferrari although I did see one there once.

Be up front and tell them you have never shot trap. Odds are you will be offered plenty of help, take it.

My biggest hurdle was the site. I had "front site" so ingrained into me from handguns that I really couldn't get it out of my head for several rounds. Let someone help you find the proper way to hold the gun. It is critical that you have it aligned properly to be able to shoot WITHOUT the sites. You want to have a hold that lets the gun align perfectly with your eye, is stable, and doesn't require the tilting of your head. Once you get that down you can line up the site on some point ahead of the trap house to assure everything is aligned then focus on that point, NOT THE SITE. Everything will traverse together so the gun will hit where you are looking. No matter how hard you try to use the site to bust clays you will only have limited success; trust me, I tried.

One of the main reasons you are going to see some expensive and fancy guns is those guns almost certainly fit their owners. There really is a big difference between a well fitted gun and an off the shelf Remington. The solution, short of dropping serious cash, is to learn what the well fitted gun does. I have found this with my 870 and although it does not fit like I wish it did I can bring it into a position where my shooting is not suffering. Once you know how to do that you can then get the basics down and move forward, upgrading the gun for a properly fitted purpose built gun when you choose to.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old February 11, 2008, 10:58 AM   #4
SDC

The odds are, if you say "I've never shot trap before, but I'd like to learn. Would someone like to show me how?", there will be a crowd of people forming to give you more advice than you can take in. As long as your shotgun is choked tightly enough, you shouldn't do too badly, regardless. My very first round of trap (where the targets are going away from you), I broke 23 out of 25 birds, but it took me MONTHS to get the hang of skeet (where the targets cross in front of you).
Old February 11, 2008, 11:07 AM   #5
45Dave

be open, be honest, be humble and excited

Just want to second what others have said Dave. Most members of trap/skeet clubs are always looking for good new members who are willing to learn and join in.
My local club it costs $3.75 a round you provide your own shells but the club does have some for sale.

Like others have said...tell them you are new and interested in learning, will someone show me what to do? Second...safety on and off the range. Ask if they have any special safety rules for there club and be careful at all times with your firearm ( I know this is simple but it does help at many clubs ) Be honest in what you do not know and don't be afraid to ask what the heck they mean if terms are used you are clueless about. Be humble, don't try to wow them about other things you have shot, your there for skeet and trap and excited, damn it is great to see someone new having fun even if they are missing more than hitting. It makes you feel good as a member when a new shooter says darn..that was fun I am coming back and going to work on getting better. Oh...last bit of advise...watch out for guys who are betting ..lol...trap shooters are some of the biggest sand baggers and love to bet and take you money. ( just having fun teasing some of the trap guys)

Enjoy..both skeet and trap are fun ..oh..You will not be an outcast. My club is primarily blue collar guys (blue collar here) with a few white collar here and there. Nothing wrong with the person who makes a living by the sweat of his brow.

Last edited by 45Dave; February 11, 2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: one more thought to the first post
Old February 11, 2008, 01:54 PM   #6
BigJimP

Ever club I've ever been to - you purchase a "round" of trap or skeet which is for the targets / you provide your own shells and gun.

In my area a round of Trap is $ 4.50 - $7.50 for your targets, depending on the club ( skeet is the same ). 5 Stand if they offer it - is usually $ 1 or $2 more per 25 birds.

You can buy shells there for $ 7 - $8 a box - but its cheaper if you bring your own shells - just make sure you have shells that have a pellet size of no bigger than 7 1/2 's but a good average load is 1 oz of 8's for trap and skeet.

Like some of us tried to tell you before - relax - nobody cares what you drive, or shoot, as long as you're courteous and follow the safety rules. Just relax and go out and have some fun - make some new friends.
Old February 11, 2008, 03:12 PM   #7
UGH

Give skeet a try also. I find it much more sociable. But each to his own.