The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 15, 2013, 01:15 PM   #1
kwhi43

How a Flintlock Should Fire

While at our monthly club shoot yesterday, I got a little video of my old friend
Richard Brinkman shooting his rifle. He is around 64 and still one of the best
shots in the country today. We go back to the early 70's. He made the rifle.
Lock is a large Siler. Be sure to watch the video link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzbiIWO3FJM

Old July 15, 2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Beagle333

Cool! That was fast. I wasn't paying attention immediately when it started the first time and had to watch it again.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old July 15, 2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Pahoo

Impressive !!

Now that was excellent and I once saw a young kid at Friendship, who had his tuned and it was fast. However, not as fast as yours. Heck, there are percussion SideLocks that are not that fast. Thanks for the video. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old July 15, 2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Old Stony

Just beautiful to see one working like it should. I was at a muzzleloading shoot yesterday, and watched some old hands with the flinters getting a big flash in the pan occasionally. It was a little drizzly and very humid, but the same guys have the same problems frequently.
A guy that knows what he is doing and has his firearm set up right is something to watch.
Old July 15, 2013, 06:23 PM   #5
kwhi43

When I shoot my Flint pistol, nobody knows I am shooting flint until I say
"Flint" to warn others who step up beside me while I am shooting.
Old July 16, 2013, 03:38 AM   #6
Bill Akins

That's set up great. Usually I see flintlocks kinda go "Chucka--puff--boom" where there is a very slight time lag between the cock hitting the frizzen before the flashpan charge goes off then setting the main charge off. That's one reason if someone is hunting running game with a flintlock, they keep tracking the barrel on the running game even after they have functioned the trigger. They want to make sure they don't stop tracking the running game until the main charge has gone off. That one however is super speedy! Do you have any info or tips on how he got it that speedy?

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old July 16, 2013, 05:24 AM   #7
Old Stony

Quite often a delay in the firing of a flintlock can be traced to the shooters technique, but not always. Some shooters over prime and cover the touch hole. This gives it a fuse effect as the powder has to burn through the hole into the main charge. A small priming charge placed at the outer side of the pan will give a nice flash and ignite the main charge faster generally.
A well tuned lock and proper flash hole placement above the charge height help a lot too. A nicely tuned flintlock is a joy to operate.
Old July 16, 2013, 05:30 AM   #8
darkgael

Yep

That ^^^^^ says it all.
Don't overprime. Use a good lock.
Pete
Old July 16, 2013, 06:14 AM   #9
kwhi43

Yea Bill I know how that one is set up. Just like my pistol is and my rifle. I
Would rather not say, because it always starts arguments about how to load
And prime. I'm not going to argue with the arm chair experts on here.
Old July 16, 2013, 06:33 AM   #10
Bill Akins

Lol. I understand [email protected], and can't blame you for that.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old July 16, 2013, 06:49 AM   #11
Captchee

Very nice .
Its also about a quality lock with proper geometry , tuned properly and thus has a frizzen that sparks well.
Add into that , the experience and dedication to keep the system working properly.