The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 16, 2012, 08:45 PM   #1
sigcurious

Retention Holsters, similar to Fobus paddle and Blackhawk Serpa?

I'd like to get some recommendations/user input on retention holsters similar to the fobus paddle or the blackhawk serpa.

Specifically I'd looking to get something for recreational shooting for my 1911, Glock 34 and Sig 226. No need to conceal just something to hold onto the pistol, practice some draw and fire etc. While I do like the button release retention style holster, I am open to other options also.
Old February 16, 2012, 09:36 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

Blackhawk Sports/range holster(paddle), Safariland...

For general range use or carry, you may want to see the grey sports/range Blackhawk rig; www.blackhawk.com .
The paddle rig is like the SERPA but doesn't include the belt add on.
The SERPA is available for some pistols in tan, OD, black too.
The Safariland ALS & SFS rigs are polymer and secure. See www.Safariland.com .

ClydeFrog
www.Natchezss.com www.Galls.com www.policehq.com www.uscav.com
Old February 16, 2012, 09:50 PM   #3
confirmed shooter

I use the blackhawk for both carry and range. the holster is able to be set up as cross draw straight pull or forward cant. the paddle is farily comfortable, and easy on-off.
Old February 17, 2012, 10:45 AM   #4
thatguy08

I recommend the 5.11 "Thumb Drive" holster (made by bladetech). Many of the ranges in my area have banned the use of the "serpa" holster due to safety issues while drawing the weapon. The 5.11 holster works with your thumb instead of your index finger to disengage the retention device. By using your thumb instead of your finger tip allows for a much more positive engagement of the button while allowing you to get a good grip and avoid accidentally inserting your finger into the trigger guard before getting your muzzle on target. Check out the video on their website here. http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...e-Holster.html
I use this holster for daily carry at work and competition. I hope this helps.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:11 PM   #5
MGMorden

If you go to CDNN Sports they have a lot of the "IMI Defense" paddle holsters that sport a button release just like the Serpa. I've used one for my SIG P6 and it works fine.

Personally though, as far as cheapy kydex holsters go, I actually prefer the "Uncle Mike's" ones. They're a lot more sturdy than the Fobus brand holsters, and they have good retention. I own those, Fobus, Serpa, the IMI Defense, and lots of assorted leather holsters, and I actually use the Uncle Mike's holsters in competition. I'm deciding on possibly upgrading to a Blade-tech DOH for that, but those cost a bit more ($70 vs $10 for the Uncle Mike's).
Old February 17, 2012, 12:27 PM   #6
sigcurious

Thanks for the info guys!

Regarding the Blackhawk Sportster, if I'm understanding it correctly, I would need to purchase an additional part to attach for the belt loop?

I'll have to check out CDNN for those IMI and take a look at the Uncle Mike's selections.
Old February 17, 2012, 09:33 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

KISS, SERPAs....

If you want a SERPA type rig with both a paddle & belt set up, I'd just buy the CQC format. It costs more than a Blackhawk Sportster but it comes in more color choices(right hand format) and you have more carry options.
As for the SERPA complaints or "issues", I got a new SERPA left hand holster for my new S&W Military and Police full size 9x19mm and have had 0 problems.
It's fast & secure. I even held the M&P SERPA upside down(unloaded ) with no problems.
Blackhawk also markets cheaper polymer rigs w/o the SERPA security system.
I, for 1, am not thrilled with Blade-tech's Thumb-Drive device with the plastic shield.
I could see that having snags or hang-ups in a PSC(private contractor) or tactical environment.
Clyde
ps: I've seen many patrol officers & tac units using the Safariland ALS & SFS holsters.
Old February 17, 2012, 11:19 PM   #8
sigcurious

Yeah I was looking and the price difference between the sportster and the regular CQC is pretty much the cost of the belt loop attachment.

I really like the idea of some sort of button retention over a strap, just due to what I perceive as being easier to use when drawing, but being secure for hiking around to a shooting site.
Old February 18, 2012, 01:09 PM   #9
chris in va

I much prefer the IMI holster to the SERPA. The button is offset slightly so your finger isn't right on the trigger during the draw, and it's easier to find.
Old February 18, 2012, 05:35 PM   #10
ClydeFrog

SERPAs, "Down Range"....

I'd add here that I'd buy a Blackhawk CQC SERPA for general range or limited concealed carry(urban or metro areas)
I've seen a few online clips of mud/snow/sand/dirt being able to clog the SERPA holster & prevent a fast draw.
If I were outdoors a lot or went "down range", I'd use a Safariland SFS/ALS or maybe a Bianchi UM84/UM92 rig.
The milspec M12 & Bianchi Cobra holsters are slick but the metal hooks are a real pain in the $&@. I used a UM84R holster on duty with my Ruger GPNY .38spl.
The COM Holsters line is impressive too; www.COMholsters.com .
I like the SOF(Soldier of Fortune) polymer rig. It's available in different sizes & styles but is a level one(no retention or security system) design.

Clyde