The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 2, 2010, 06:35 PM   #1
RickE

PPK issues

I have written before about FTF,FTE issues with my Interarms PPKS. I polished the slide rails, the load ramp, and the entire chamber. I greased up the gun, and dis assembled the extractor and safety mechanism to be sure it was all in order. It was clean, all parts present, and the detentes in the safety were good. It was slipping into a partial, or full safety position during firing. I just ordered a full set of Wolff springs. They come in 14,15,16 & 17 lbs. The factory spring is 20lbs I believe. I got 1000 rounds of American Eagle at what would be $13 a box of 50. I figure they may not be a very strong load, requiring a weaker spring.

MY QUESTION
(finally) is... which spring would you start with? The 17, and then the 16. 15 etc? Could 3 lbs make much of a difference? And if I step up to a hotter load (Cor-Bon), is a lighter spring going to cause a problem than?
Old April 4, 2010, 10:57 PM   #2
Haycreek

Use the 17 , if the problem continues, go to the 16 recoil spring, most likely the ammo is loaded light, and you ar short cycling. or use hotter ammo, ie Sellor and bellot or other premium ammo.
Old April 5, 2010, 02:36 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The American made Interarms PPK/S had some Walther-made parts, including the recoil springs, which were to German specs for the hotter 9mm Kurz load they use. The guns frequently have problems with US ammo. I have corrected the problem by rolling the original springs on a belt sander, but replacing the original with a lighter spring should do the job as well.

Jim
Old April 6, 2010, 02:37 AM   #4
radom

I have had the same issues with US ammo in the things too. The loads are a bit week to make the slide snap back and rebound well plus the profiles of the HPs like to hang and catch on the edge of the chamber. Stick with the hotter SD loads that use a trunicated cone type HP and break the edges on the chamber with some croakus cloth so it has a bit of a sharp bevel and they will work just fine.
Old April 6, 2010, 07:28 AM   #5
CowTowner

You may want to add some maroon boxed Fiocchi ammo to your list. The Italian made is hotter than the US made blue box.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old April 8, 2010, 01:37 PM   #6
RickE

Thank you all, good advice!

Rick