The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 23, 2009, 07:26 AM   #26
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Firing: Fun to shoot at the range. Smooth trigger pull for steady and accurate double action shots. Be nice if the recoil was kept in control.
Snub nose revolvers, generally by their nature are not great range weapons. That's not to say that a snub nose isn't fun to shoot, but typically they aren't your best choice for a fun range gun.

It doesn't meet all of your requirements, but the S&W Airweight series are some of best CCW, if not the best CCW snub nose options. They light weight, small, well made and my 637 has a great trigger.
Old August 23, 2009, 07:35 AM   #27
Mastifflover

LCR

LCR. Much better trigger and less recoil than the 642 I had. I will admit though that the 642 with boot grips feels smaller in the pocket. You said that you would be holstering it though so no biggie.
Old August 23, 2009, 12:38 PM   #28
Ichiro

With lots of practice, my 2" Ruger DAO SP-101 became an excellent range gun.

With lots of practice, my 2" S&W J-frames (steel and aluminum) never did.

The tradeoff is that pocket carry is not feasible for me with the SP-101. For belt carry, my feeling is that I may as well carry a slightly larger gun that I can shoot oh so much better.
Old August 23, 2009, 05:10 PM   #29
Elvishead

Quote:
gson:

Sights: Able to use the Big Dot low light visibility sight(unless the gun in question can't but is a superior gun). I will not being doing lasers any time soon becuase of the $$.

When you check out the S&W sight, I think the only J-frame that has a front dot sight is the 637 Power Port. The Port will give you less recoil for fallow up shot's.

Other than that, I really like my 638 Shrouded hammer a lot. Nice for pocket carry.

Budsgunshop.com has a 637 PP for $552 delivered to an FFL and they can give you a list of FFL in you area that will do a transfer for a small fee. Also a 638 for $459 delivered. The 637 PP is in the Semi auto section, don't aske why.

Last edited by Elvishead; August 23, 2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old August 23, 2009, 05:39 PM   #30
ChicagoTex

Quote:
The Port will give you less recoil for fallow up shot's.
but also greatly enhance noise and enhance flash a bit.

I will never ever use, or recommend, a ported gun for SD purposes.

The Model 60 also has a replaceable front sight, as well as the M&P340 and 340PD.

The 637, 638, 442, and 642 indeed do not though.
Old August 23, 2009, 05:50 PM   #31
gson

Yea thanks all very much appreciate helping me narrow it down.
I'm gonna go with the lightweight & compact, accurate, smooth trigger pull, manageable recoil, interchangeable front sight Ruger LCR:

and switch out the pinned down front sight for an XS Tritium Big Dot sight:

I'm hoping I can either get a used LCR or get a good deal on a new one.
Now I gotta narrow down whats the best: carry load(brand/grain), the range load(most mild rounds), and the holster.

Last edited by gson; August 23, 2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old August 23, 2009, 10:19 PM   #32
Elvishead

Quote:
ChicagoTex

but also greatly enhance noise and enhance flash a bit.
Really? Do you own a ported revover? Because I never noticed that on either of my ported revolvers.
Old August 23, 2009, 10:31 PM   #33
ChicagoTex

Quote:
Really? Do you own a ported revover? Because I never noticed that on either of my ported revolvers.
I don't own and have never fired a ported REVOLVER, I've fired several ported automatics and have found this to be the case.

I guess maybe the cylinder gap makes things louder and flashier anyway, maybe the port's not that big a deal (at least in .38)
Old August 24, 2009, 01:48 AM   #34
akr

gson---good luck with that LCR, and be sure to let us know about it. It's beginning to sound good to me....and that's NOT a good thing.

NRA Lifetime Member
Old August 24, 2009, 04:48 PM   #35
ChicagoTex

just checked out an LCR for the first time at my local gun shop and thought I'd share my thoughts:

1. While much lighter in weight than my S&W 442, it's also noticeably bigger (particularly in frame and grip width), I'm not at all confident I could conceal this convincingly in my pocket.

2. The larger grip did fit my large hands noticeably better than my S&W 442 with Hogue Bantams, I could get bigger grips for my 442 to circumvent the problem, but then it'd be too big for pocket carry (how I carry my snubbies).

3. The trigger was a tad smoother and considerably lighter than my 442, but had a slightly longer trigger travel and a bizarre split-second delay between the time the trigger broke and the hammer fell

All in all a nice gun I wouldn't mind owning or shooting, but doesn't suit my intended purposes for a snubnose revolver.
Old August 24, 2009, 04:55 PM   #36
dgludwig

Quote:
1. While much lighter in weight than my S&W 442, it's also noticeably bigger (particularly in frame and grip width), I'm not at all confident I could conceal this convincingly in my pocket.
I have to agree. Though I didn't have a means to measure the LCR when I was handling it, I'd be surprised if its frame dimensions aren't every bit as large as the Colt Cobra.
Old August 24, 2009, 06:56 PM   #37
Elvishead

Quote:
ChicagoTex:

I don't own and have never fired a ported REVOLVER, I've fired several ported automatics and have found this to be the case.

I guess maybe the cylinder gap makes things louder and flashier anyway, maybe the port's not that big a deal (at least in .38)
I kind of figured that, as I have shot thousands of rounds out of many-a-revolver ported or no port's.

That doesn't mean your wrong.

That being said, you make sense about the cylinder gap making noise's that could discount the port noise's. It might be louder but, do you want a louder, or a louder gun.

Last edited by Elvishead; August 24, 2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old August 24, 2009, 09:22 PM   #38
Nightowl

Another .38 snubby

My personal choice is the Ruger SP-101 with the hammer spur (Top.) The spur is optional. The factory rubber grips are quite comfortable.
Always - Safety First!
Old August 25, 2009, 11:17 AM   #39
doc540

Shoot before you buy.

but end up with a Colt

Old August 25, 2009, 09:21 PM   #40
Mark F

Here are my pocket guns... a Taurus M85 UltraLite, a Ruger LCP, and a Kel Tec P3AT. The Ruger is by far my favorite.

Tags
.38 , snub , snubby