The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 22, 1999, 11:41 AM   #1
dZ

anyone have one?
i'm in the market...

dZ
Old October 22, 1999, 09:51 PM   #2
hksigwalther

You know, when I first saw pictures of it I thought for sure that I wouldn't buy one. Incredibly ugly. But...while searching for an 11-87, I hefted one and lo and behold, that thing actually felt pretty good. The action was pretty tight (not quite as good as an M3). The $350-$390 price seems pretty good too. I think I just might have to get one considering its very low price.

- Ron V.

------------------
Old October 22, 1999, 10:23 PM   #3
dZ

looks kinda nice with the 18 inch slug barrel and there is a 4x tube extender

just wish ghost ring was a factory option

on the m1 the GR mounts on the reciever
on the nova the rifle sight is on the barrell

dZ
Old October 23, 1999, 06:08 PM   #4
hksigwalther

Well, the steel insert in the receiver goes up the sides and over the top but I don't think it is thick enough to mount a GR site (after drilling and tapping). An option would be to glue one on top using an epoxy or polyurethane, something very strong but is able to handle some flexing and vibrations. I wouldn't trust cyanoacrylates (superglues).

If the rifle site on the barrel is the same as the ones on the M1s and M3s, then maybe you can replace the adjustable site notch (which is held in place with a set screw) with a GR that you or someone can make (and use the exisiting base).

- Ron V.

------------------
Old October 23, 1999, 10:21 PM   #5
dZ

went to a gunshow today and found a new Nova with the optic bar front sight on the 24 inch barrel

309 bucks!
yep its safe at home now...

the 18 inch barrel, extended tubes and the recoil reducer are not available yet...

the 18 is a rifled barrel
what deer slugs should i run through the 24 barrel?
gotta get savy on the chokes too
anyone know any web sources?

cool gun!
doesn't scream Rambo like the 590 i was considering

Hello Walton league trap range

dZ
Old October 24, 1999, 12:52 PM   #6
hksigwalther

dZ,

Congrats on a good buy on the Nova. Dang, $309, was that new?

If you're shooting slugs through the smoothbore go with rifled slugs. If you get a rifled choke use sabots. A co-worker regularly shoots at turkey matches using a rifled choke and custom made non-rifled/non-saboted slugs from his father inlaw and wins almost all of the time. (Shortest distance between two rounds wins. Winner gets a turkey.) Basically a giant lead bullet.

A good source for a diverse choice of chokes and shotgun/hunting accessories is Cabelas : http://www.cabelas.com/ .

Dang, $309.

- Ron V.

------------------
Old October 24, 1999, 03:46 PM   #7
dZ

yep that was new in box price!

it comes with 3 chokes
a number 4 is installed
in plastic tubes is a 3 & a 2 i think...

they are all smooth...

dZ
Old October 25, 1999, 06:50 PM   #8
dZ

found this on benellis page:
Q:
What do the notches on the choke mean?
A:
One = full; Two = Improved modified; Three = Modified; Four = Improved cylinder; Five = Cylinder
Q:
What choke should I use for steel shot?
A:
Most people find that the modified choke works best for pass shooting and the improved cylinder and cylinder chokes work well
on decoying birds. Nothing is gained by trying to shoot steel through a choke tighter than modified and we do not recommend
doing so since extended use may damage the choke and barrel.
Q:
What kind of oil should be put on my choke?
A:
Several different manufacturers make a choke tube lubricant specifically labeled choke tube lubricant. It is basically
anti-corrosion/anti-seize compound, any lubricant specifically labeled choke tube lube should work
Q:
What choke should I use for slugs?
A:
A cylinder choke is recommended for shooting rifled slugs in a smooth bore barrel. Sabot slugs should be shot through our fully
rifled slug barrels.
Old October 25, 1999, 07:44 PM   #9
hksigwalther

Oooo...that question on the lubricant for the chokes was a good one. I never would have thought to use any. Thanks for posting those Q&As.

Dang, $309.

- Ron V.

------------------
Old October 30, 1999, 02:12 PM   #10
Beano

Buy one, its a Benelli, you won't regret it. Never actually seen one myself, but own two Model 121 autos. Don't know if this model was ever sold in the USA. Would appreciate a short reply as I need to find a firing pin spring and see no reference to this model on BenelliUSA.
Old October 30, 1999, 02:27 PM   #11
Beano

Choke Lubricant.

Got a clean, old sock? Turn it inside out, place any good quality light grease that repels moisture on it (quite a lot), turn it back to the right side and rub till the grease starts coming through the cloth. You are now ready to grease chokes. They will not stick if this is done properly. The sock works great for a quick wipe down of any gun exterior when putting away or storing. Comes clean with a wipe from a paper towel.Add grease as necessary to the sock, however, you will find that you will not need to replenish grease often. I keep both a sock and paper towels with my guns.