The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 2, 2015, 07:16 PM   #1
swissfist

1929 LC Smith Coachgun/ what loads can it digest?

Hey fellas/gals, just acquired an LC Smith 12 gauge coachgun, tight lockup, bore a bit black powder fouled but otherwise looks in good shape. It is of 1929 manufacture and does not have Damascus barrels. My question; what ammo would be safe to use in this piece. The staff at the shop weren't much help and their Smithy was off that day. Benefit of the communitys' experience would be most appreciated.
Old June 2, 2015, 08:16 PM   #2
Doyle

First thing to do is make sure it has 2 3/4" chambers. There were lots of 2 1/2 and 2 5/8" chambered shotguns in the days prior to WWII. Even though a 2 3/4" shell would physically fit in a 2 5/8" chamber, there is not enough room left over for the shell to open completely - resulting in higher pressure than normal. If you have a 3" shell laying around, see if it will drop in cleanly (don't fire it). If it does, then you can expect a 2 3/4" shell will open. If it doesn't then have a gunsmith measure the chamber.
Old June 2, 2015, 08:27 PM   #3
RJay

If it is truly a 1929 manufactured firearm, then any proper modern shotgun shells can be used, no steel shot and no magnum loads. Shame to find a L C cut down like that.
Old June 2, 2015, 08:59 PM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

It makes one cringe to know that they ruined a set of matching serial barrels by sawing them.

I have seen barrels sold on eBay, armor steel, but I didn't watch what they sold for. You may have to do a little hand fitting on the lump, but another set would fit. The only problem, is the serial numbers not matching. That is, if you ever wanted to bring it back to its original state.

You can shoot smokeless game loads, etc, in them, just stay away from Damascus barrels.

I wanted to add, that if they are solid steel barrels, it will say armor steel, on the bottom of the barrels, and I have seen it stamped on the water table of the frame, close to the serial. Also, if your gun has a FW in front of the serial, that means feather weight. You can run the serial on the LC Smith collectors website below.

http://www.lcsmith.org/

Last edited by Dixie Gunsmithing; June 2, 2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old June 2, 2015, 10:42 PM   #5
swissfist

Thanks for info, everyone. And Rjay, I donT believe this is a cut down, I'll check to be positive, but I believe it was manufactured as a Coachgun, not a cut down. I post pics when I bring it home.thanks again.
Old June 3, 2015, 12:30 AM   #6
Jim Watson

Agree with Ron. 1929 is pretty modern, as double shotguns go. Any 2 3/4" lead shot shell will be ok.

A factory "coach gun" would be a good catch, collector wise.
Even if sawn, it would be a nicer CAS gun than the majority of cheap imports.
Old June 3, 2015, 06:36 AM   #7
swissfist

And what about slugs? Would that create too much pressure for it to handle? The reason I ask is that unfortunately I dont have the option of the great outdoors nearby ( my environment is urban) so I am speaking of what the local indoor ranges will allow.
Old June 3, 2015, 09:24 AM   #8
Jim Watson

All 12 gauge shotshells have the same SAAMI maximum chamber pressure limit of 11,500 psi. Skeet loads, express loads, buckshot, slugs, short magnums, 3" magnums all have the same maximum spec. (Except the 3 1/2".) So if you stick to 2 3/4" shells, there is no more risk of blowing up a steel barrel with the big loads than the little ones.

Will the greater recoil of the heavy loads shake an old gun loose sooner? Probably.

If I wanted to shoot slugs in that gun, I would pick the "tactical" slugs at the same velocity as a skeet load. It would not batter the shooter or the gun any more than birdshot.
It probably won't be a very satisfying experience. One reason double express safari rifles cost so much is the labor required to "regulate" the barrels to shoot to the same point of aim. Few if any shotguns are regulated, routine assembly will have shot patterns overlapping. So there is not much chance they will shoot slugs to the same point of aim. Or to any point of aim, a slug does not necessarily shoot to the center of the shot pattern.
Old June 3, 2015, 12:41 PM   #9
swissfist

Thanks jim. I plan on having the Smithy I use to give it a once over just so I can be aware of exactly what I can and cant do with it.
Old June 3, 2015, 02:38 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

Not likely BP fouling at that time either. Measure the diameter of the muzzles. That'll tell you if there's a choke. No choke means it was likely cut.
Shortest L.C. Smith barrels, of that vintage, is 26".
L.C. Smith collectors are a very serious bunch. Everything on that collector site works and is complete. Impressive.
Old June 3, 2015, 03:03 PM   #11
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

The L C Smiths locking system was probably one of the best in the world, and I'd venture to say, your gun is still tight. The locking system is a rotating drum, with a tapered bolt, that bites into a lug between the barrels, which has a tapered hole in it. Even if the system is showing wear, where the locking lever would be close to center, the barrels should still be tight. The lever on one that is not worn, will stop at the right hand side, and wont reach center. If the lever is getting toward center, that can be easily fixed, by adding a spot of weld, by TIG, in the barrel lugs hole, and filing it until it closes and fits properly. I've done about three of these over 22 years.

Anyhow, 2-3/4" loads wont hurt that system, making the barrels loosen up. The only gun close to being as good, is the Greener system, that uses a sliding round tapered pin, into the barrel lug.
Old June 3, 2015, 06:02 PM   #12
RJay

All I have to add, if it is indeed a factory " coach gun " then it is a very rare undocumented shotgun. Take care of it because you will never see another.