The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 6, 2012, 04:23 PM   #1
coolhand35

New to the beretta 92fs! Question about reliability

I just bought a used beretta 92fs with some wear and tear the one made in USA. The day after I bought it i fired 300 rounds through it with no malfunction love this firearm! This morning i had my 92fs in an uncle mikes holster in my pocket and when i turned the gun fell and hit the tile floor in my kitchen on accident. Im new to the 92fs so I wanted to ask if it is a reliable and dropping it like i did will damage it. I did a basic functions yest on it and everything seemed to be ok. Thanks for any comments!!
Old December 6, 2012, 04:51 PM   #2
LockedBreech

The 92FS is very, very reliable, and despite the stylish appearance it is very, very tough.

There are frontline soldiers abusing their sidearms in ways that make a drop on a tile floor look like nothing. My dad carried a 96G for over a decade and that thing got tossed around plenty. If nothing seems broken and the gun still cycles, you're fine.
Old December 6, 2012, 05:43 PM   #3
kraigwy

I have several thousands of rounds out of mine, I find it extremely reliable.

Another thing, its the first 9mm I've had that I could shoot cast bullets without jumping through hoops.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 6, 2012, 05:55 PM   #4
dfsixstring

I want to say the military shot 36k rounds without failure on the 92 before they chose it as the military sidearm. The number may even be higher than that. I carried the 92 for years. No complaints.

Dfsixstring
SR9c
LCP
RST4S
Old December 6, 2012, 05:59 PM   #5
twobit

I have worn one to work for the last 23 years. Same gun. New magazines every few years but same gun.
Old December 6, 2012, 06:32 PM   #6
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobit View Post
I have worn one to work for the last 23 years. Same gun. New magazines every few years but same gun.
I'm curious, have you swapped the locking block?
Old December 7, 2012, 12:44 AM   #7
4thHorseman

The Berretta 92 if not the most, is one of the most reliable pistols in the world. Jungle, snow and desert heat proven reliablitly. Flat out a darn good platform for the 9mm. It took a pounding in Iraq in 130+ degree heat, sand and abuse and just kept barking out rounds.
The only draw back is it is BIG! If you can handle the size, it will be a faithful companion to you for life.
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once." -- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003
Old December 7, 2012, 01:50 AM   #8
Koda94

I wont get rid of mine, had it for over 20 years now, its never jammed and ive dropped it once pretty bad too. Get a good holster for it, every good gun deservs at least 1 quality holster.
Old December 7, 2012, 01:57 AM   #9
Single Six

I seriously doubt that you hurt it. The Beretta is a wonderfully tough and reliable piece [not to mention quite attractive]. If I were going to have a 9mm, that would be the one.
Old December 7, 2012, 09:05 AM   #10
twobit

No I have not swapped the locking block
Old December 7, 2012, 09:14 AM   #11
Stressfire

92's are very tough and IMO fairly hard to damage aside from continuous abuse or carelessness. Aside from cosmetic damage, there should be no ill effects from the occasional drop (unless it's a concrete floor)

Quote:
i had my 92fs in an uncle mikes holster in my pocket
You might want to rethink this, however. It's not much of a pocket pistol unless you are a fan of 90's era JNCO jeans with pockets large and deep enough to hide a small puppy.

The holster might be problematic in and of itself, depending on the model of UM you are using. The IWB one I bought a while back for my 92 doesn't hold well at all and seems to depend entirely on the tightness of one's belt to retain the pistol - needless to say I wore it once, then gave it away.

I'd suggest looking for a better holster.
Old December 7, 2012, 10:23 AM   #12
Yung.gunr

I have an Uncle Mikes OWB holster I got used for like $10 that works great. I dont think my 92 is going any where.

They are great pistols. Not only are they built like tanks but they just plain look good too. It's one of my favorites. Especially for a reasonably priced hand gun (compared to a nice looking 1911 price).

I'm sure if the tile is still in one piece your gun is fine. The tile will break long before anything on your 92 will.

If a gun breaks from dropping from a holster it's time to re-examine the guns you are buying.
Old December 7, 2012, 10:54 AM   #13
twobit

Although mine is a duty gun and normally carried in a Safariland 070 triple retention holster on a duty belt, I do wear it plainclothes with a good leather pancake holster such as a Goodrich & Gould, a Mernickle, or a Simply Rugged holster. ALL are well made strong leather holsters that will stand up to the size and weight of a 92FS. With the proper clothing, even a 92FS can be concealed, although that was not what it was designed for.
Old December 7, 2012, 10:59 AM   #14
915A

Have carried it on and off for 16yrs and counting, and never had an issue with one. Ive considered getting my own just to be more proficient with what I carry on my many Vacations. I would give the trigger some love if I did, that is my only gripe about it.
Old December 7, 2012, 11:14 AM   #15
pgdion

Wat to go Coolhand, I love the 92FS. It's by far my favorite. Nice to shoot, very accurate, very reliable and quite tough. Although I would cringe at mine hitting the floor, truth is you should probably be more worried about the tile. They are actually designed to withstand that kind of abuse. I think my only concern would be accuracy if it landed right on the edge of the barrel. I'd look it over but doubt you'll find anything other than a cosmetic blemish.
Old December 7, 2012, 03:03 PM   #16
dbldune

Great gun

I've had my 92fs for two months now and have put 3k rounds through it and not one problem. Love the feel, shoots well, very accurate. All and all a quality piece of equipment.
Old December 7, 2012, 03:32 PM   #17
dgludwig

Shoot it to be sure but, like other responders have opined, I doubt very much that you incurred any damage to your pistol if you can't see any damage to it. The big Beretta is a very tough pistol and hard to hurt even if you tried to.
Old December 7, 2012, 03:35 PM   #18
9mm

I had to sell mine to fund another project, though I will be buying another some day, most famous gun to me. Very sexy gun, used in a lot of movies and military. I shot about 400 rounds through mine and it was like new,used before I bought it. Never had a problem. Mec-gar makes 18 round magazines.
Old December 7, 2012, 03:58 PM   #19
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
I had to sell mine to fund another project, though I will be buying another some day, most famous gun to me. Very sexy gun, used in a lot of movies and military. I shot about 400 rounds through mine and it was like new,used before I bought it. Never had a problem. Mec-gar makes 18 round magazines.
Gotta love the Mec-Gar high cap magazines. They make a quality product.
Old December 7, 2012, 04:14 PM   #20
Coltman 77

Congratulations on your new Beretta. They are great pistols, accurate, easy to shoot and dead nuts reliable with any decent ammo you feed them.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old December 7, 2012, 04:17 PM   #21
TailGator

For all the reasons previously stated, I would be shocked if dropping the pistol did any damage at all. The only thing that has ever stopped my 92FS was a box of cheap ammo that had mangled case rims. A more suitable holster is a capital idea, though.
Old December 7, 2012, 08:26 PM   #22
power5

How did it land? If it landed on a control or the end of the barrel, I would have a gunsmith look at it. I would have a gunsmith look at it anyway.

Normal use, you have bought a very reliable gun. I have over 2000 rounds through my stock 2010 92fs with absolutely no issues at all. 0 misfires, 0 double strikes, 0 FTE, 0 of anything. I have put steel, hollow, WWB, any ammo I want through it. For comparison. My brother has a Baby Eagle 9mm that double struck every tula round. I placed the same boxed rounds into my 92 immediately after and fired without problem.