The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2010, 11:20 PM   #1
Desert Rat

Took the 1st step today!

I've thought about reloading handgun ammo for a while now. I've used a Lee Load-All for 12ga shells several years in the 70s and saved a lot of money. With the price of 9mm, 380, and 38spl now days IF you can find it I took another look at reloading.

Today I ordered a Lee Challenger Single Stage Anniversary Kit from Midway. Also ordered a deluxe carbide 4-die set in 9mm so I can feed my Kel-Tec PF9. I'll expand to .380 and 38spl when I can afford the guns. They also had Hornady 9mm 115 grain FMJ for $16.29/100, is that an OK price?

Looking forward to reloading again, even if I've never done this type B4.
Old January 1, 2010, 11:36 PM   #2
azklmsr

take a look at Powder Valley for bullets. You should be able to get FMJ's for your 9mm in 500 to 3000 volume for a bit less. You can also look at Sportsman's Warehouse (i think there is one in tucson). I buy from the one in Gilbert and pick up premium JHP's (Hornady and Sierra) for around 15$.

I load a ton of 9mm. LOA is VERY important. The case is little, and case volume can move pretty fast. Make sure you are double careful with LOA.

Some say that Lead is bad in a 9mm. I've had very good results with 125 LRN and Power Pistol, as well as Unique and Herco. It did not like Titegroup. My thesis is that the hot fast pop would damage the back side of the bullet and hurt accuracy, but that is only thesis.

I use a progressive now, but I've done lots with a single stage press. In that case, I like to prime with a hand unit. I get a better feel than with a single stage.

I like to bullet seat seperate from crimp, but I've done it both ways.

Go slow, have fun

kurt
Old January 1, 2010, 11:42 PM   #3
Desert Rat

LOA???
Old January 2, 2010, 12:09 AM   #4
Jim243

Desert Rat, play nice now, he means OAL and is dislexic. By the way congrats on getting back into reloading. The price you paid is OK but I try to find FMJ for between 11.95 and 14.95 per 100 in 9 mm. It will depend on who manufacturers the bullet.

Don't forget to get a "Reloading Manual" for your loads and a good powder scale.

Otherwise have fun.

Jim
Old January 2, 2010, 02:05 AM   #5
chris in va

If you *really* want to go whole hog, try casting those 9mm. It's the difference between buying Prego and making your own spaghetti sauce. Time consuming, addictive, and in the long run a lot cheaper.
Old January 3, 2010, 01:23 AM   #6
Desert Rat

I found a 1000 box of CCI small pistol primers today for $39, and got the last bag of 500 9mm brass for $20. I'm sure I didn't get a super deal, but from the on line chatter I don't think I screwed the pooch.

Don't know what powder to use, maybe it will be in the paperwork that comes with the press. Or maybe in a reloading book.