The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 9, 2010, 08:10 PM   #1
wover98

Help me get my gun out of a Fobus Holster

Ok guys.......I feel like a total dunce here. I just got my new Fobus paddle holster for my sig 2340, it looks just like I expected and just like the one I had for my springfield 1911. Just one tiny problem. I put the gun in the holster, nice...smooth....click...secure, so all is great. However, I can not remove the gun from the holster unless I take the holster out of my waistband and using both hands I pry the back of the holster open (where the trigger guard is) and pull the gun all at the same time. good thing I unloaded/checked the wep first........I can see it now, Mr. Mugger can you give me just a minute to draw my weppon? I wont take long I promise.

Is there something I am missing here? is there some "trick" to this?
No adjustment screws that I see.

Old February 9, 2010, 08:11 PM   #2
rantingredneck

If it's one of the newer Fobus holsters you'll see a screw near the trigger guard area. Loosen this screw and it will reduce the retention of the holster.

If it's not you can try a heat gun to warm the holster a bit and then insert your gun. This may take a few tries. Otherwise maybe a file or sandpaper to the high spots on the inside of the holster, particularly around the triggerguard area as this is where the Fobus retains the gun.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 9, 2010, 08:23 PM   #3
wover98

Thanks, I will try the heat, as there are no screws.
Old February 9, 2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Just a thought, but if that holster is that tight, I'd be worried about finish wear on my Sig. I'd certainly take the sandpaper advice from Ranting and make sure it isn't crazy tight.
Old February 9, 2010, 09:09 PM   #5
Michael A. Le Lack

Tight?

Why not either call the holster maker or send it back? Why screw with it?
Old February 9, 2010, 11:38 PM   #6
sholling

Send it back and buy a Comp-Tac or Blade-Tech. Friends don't let friends buy Fobus.
Old February 9, 2010, 11:43 PM   #7
earlthegoat2

Step one: Get the gun out by any means short of hurting your gun. If this involves destroying the holster so much the better.

Step two: Pitch holster or what remains of it into the trash. Ideally you would have kept it in one piece so you could return it to where ever you bought it.

Step three: See post above. You can get real quality kydex for prices that would surprise you.
Old February 10, 2010, 10:24 PM   #8
wover98

Ok, to follow up.
#1 its hard to find anyone who makes a holster for the SP 2340, hence I went with the Fobus.
#2, I went to the fobus website, and read under the FAQ what my problem was. You have to wear the holster, and pull it with a quick snap. when I do this..........man, has got to be the quickest draw on this type hoster I have used. I cant believe how just putting the thing on, and a smooth fast draw works. and the retention is great, as per my first post.
Thanks one and all for your advice, I can always count on you guys.

Happy at last
Will

Old February 16, 2010, 09:37 PM   #9
boston

You can actually pull the gun from the holster without wearing it. You just have to pull the gun straight up, just as you would draw it while wearing it. Takes some practice, but after a while you'll get. Heck, you may already have caught on to the technique
Old February 17, 2010, 12:28 PM   #10
jfrey123

I can't tell if you were wearing the holster when it got stuck, but I had a similar deal with my Fobus and my G27. I just stuck it in when I got it, and couldn't pull it out with two hands. But while the holster was on my belt, it came out pretty easy. Lots of tension, which is good since I don't want to lose it while running or anything.

Mine has loosened over the past year or so to where I can draw from the holster without wearing it.
Old February 18, 2010, 10:42 PM   #11
[email protected]

I have Fobii for my P22 and my 1911. The reason you have to pull sharply straight up is that if a BG tries to make your sidearm his sidearm, it will be much more difficult to pull it from the holster.