The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 14, 2015, 05:50 PM   #1
samdjr74

Cowboy shooting, who makes the best guns?

Hi All,

I'm a big time revolver fan. Almost all of my hand guns are revolvers except for my 1911. With that being said I got my eye on two new guns for 2016, a 1851 Navy conversation and a New Army conversation. Now it seems that there are a few companies out there who make them like Uberti, Pietta and Taylor. My question is, which company makes the best and is there another company I should be looking at as well.

This won’t be my regular shooter, my Rugers take care of that, I just want something a little different to have fun with.

Thanks,
Sam
Old November 14, 2015, 05:53 PM   #2
Jbar4Ranch

Taylor's is an importer, they don't make the guns. Uberti used to be considered better quality than Pietta, but Pietta's quality the last few years is far better than it used to be. Pietta tends to be a little less expensive than Uberti, but the quality is more or less comparable to Uberti's black powder revolvers.

SASS 47015
Old November 14, 2015, 06:01 PM   #3
samdjr74

Thanks for the info
Old November 14, 2015, 06:58 PM   #4
Crunchy Frog

Uberti makes the "conversion" revolvers: http://www.uberti.com/army-conversio...-top-revolvers.

To my knowledge Pietta does not make or import a similar product.

I have two friends who shoot "open tops" in competition. They are really nifty.
Old November 14, 2015, 07:38 PM   #5
samdjr74

Yep, looks like my choice has been narrowed down to one lol, Uberti it is
Old November 14, 2015, 07:39 PM   #6
MarkCO

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/

That is all.
Old November 14, 2015, 07:43 PM   #7
samdjr74

Nice but BCA is a little outside of my price range
Old November 14, 2015, 08:04 PM   #8
mikejonestkd

A ruger Old Army is as stout as a tank and will run just about forever.
Old November 15, 2015, 07:36 PM   #9
Driftwood Johnson

The Ruger Old Army has been out of production for several years now.
Old November 15, 2015, 07:45 PM   #10
samdjr74

The Ruger old army's look great but they all seem to be black powder and as DJ said, out of production for some time now.

I love the look of the black powder models but I don't want to deal with the mess or hassle of black powder. Call me lazy but I like my metallic cartridges.
Old November 16, 2015, 11:03 AM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The Ruger old army's look great but they all seem to be black powder.,.
They all seem to be black powder because they were ALL made to be black powder guns!

Mechanically, the Old Army is essentially a Ruger Blackhawk, made as a cap & ball pistol. There are some styling differences, but that's essentially all.

A modern cap & ball revolver, with coil springs and adjustable sights, and offered in stainless steel for many years. It was the ultimate BP revolver for someone who wanted to shoot cap & ball.

I would recommend RUGERs to the OP, except he said he already has some.

I'm afraid I don't know the Italian SA copies well, the only sound advice I can offer is AVOID Armi San Marcos!

Had one, given to me, copy of the S&W Schoefield. Good looking gun, but a total POS otherwise. Fired two cylinders standard .45 COlt, misfires and unlatching on each cylinder. I gave it back!

Good luck with your search!
Old November 16, 2015, 04:43 PM   #12
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

The ASM Schofields were junk. The Uberti Schofields and Russians are much better.

Frankly, if I wanted a single action cowboy gun I would buy a Ruger Vaquero. I have a few of them, the design is tougher and they will shoot forever without any tuning at all. These three are the older, full sized model, chambered for 45 Colt. This version is no longer made, it has been replaced by the slightly smaller New Vaquero. I have a couple of those chambered for 357 Mag. They too are very tough guns and will shoot forever with no tuning at all.

This is an Uberti Cattleman. I used to have another, but it was a piece of junk and I got rid or it. This one is better, but it is not perfect. These guns will benefit from some tuning.

This is my old brass framed 44 caliber 'Navy' that I bought when I was a kid in 1968. Stay away from brass framed Cap & Ball revolvers, what you have read is true. This one had its frame stretched by too many 30 grain loads. It is just a wall hanger now.

Used to be that Ubertis were better fit and finished than Piettas. I have read that has changed, but I have not personally shot any. I bought a pair of these 1860 Armies a few years ago when they were on sale at Cabellas. I was not pleased with some of the finish details, should have paid a few more dollars for Ubertis.

The stainless 1858 Remington Army at the top of this photo is an Uberti. The blued one at the bottom is an old EuroArms Remmie I bought in 1968. Both have been fitted with R&D conversion cylinders to shoot 45 Colt. The Uberti is nice, but it weighs about four ounces more than the old EuroArms Remmie. The EuroArms Remmie is closer in actual size to the originals.

Old November 16, 2015, 05:04 PM   #13
samdjr74

Very nice guns you got there Driftwood.

I love my Rugers, just wanted something old fashion looking I guess you might say. My first gun was (is as I still have it) a Ruger SA 22. And the last gun I bought is a Super Blackhawk Hunter which is just incredible.

But I like the look of the old army and navy guns
Old November 16, 2015, 05:05 PM   #14
Jim Watson

I have a Colt and a Cimarron/San Marco SAA. They are ideal for my approach to CAS.

I would recommend a Ruger New Vaquero or Uberti or Pietta SAA copy from whichever importer had the exact style you like.

Cartridge conversions are more trouble to manage, I don't think the Italians have quite figured them out yet.
Old November 16, 2015, 05:17 PM   #15
samdjr74

"I have a Colt and a Cimarron/San Marco SAA. They are ideal for my approach to CAS.

I would recommend a Ruger New Vaquero or Uberti or Pietta SAA copy from whichever importer had the exact style you like.

Cartridge conversions are more trouble to manage, I don't think the Italians have quite figured them out yet. "

I'm trying to find a local shop who might have a Uberti in stock. It doesn't have to be the model I want, I just want to get a feel for it.
Old November 16, 2015, 06:28 PM   #16
45 Dragoon

Jim, what do you mean about the conversions being trouble to deal with?

I worked on a customers RM '60 not too long ago and it is quite the shooter!! I wouldn't mind scooping up one myself.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram

BTW, my Dragoons (with gated conversions) run better than most SAs. I know they wouldn't be as fast as far as handling but they maintain a high state of tune and are always a treat to shoot!

Last edited by 45 Dragoon; November 16, 2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old November 16, 2015, 09:02 PM   #17
Jim Watson

The conversions I saw were pretty sad. But I have been out of CAS for a while. Maybe the conversions are better now.
Or maybe they are better after you have fixed them.
Old November 17, 2015, 02:41 PM   #18
Magnum Wheel Man

My Pieta custom conversions... in 38 Long Colt... fit & finish on the revolvers was 1st rate before I did my custom work...

BTW... I use Rugers as my main match CAS guns, & save my Navies for special times... while good quality, I'm not kidding myself that they could handle the same round counts as a factory Ruger
Old November 17, 2015, 08:33 PM   #19
45 Dragoon

Magnum,
If set up right , they'll take it.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram
Old November 17, 2015, 08:41 PM   #20
mk70ss

Rugers and Ubertis are both perfect guns.
Old November 18, 2015, 10:54 AM   #21
Jim Watson

Anybody ever make a .45 ACP conversion?
Probably not, it might not hold up long with hardball, but it would be handy for me to load midrange for.
Old November 18, 2015, 11:06 AM   #22
Magnum Wheel Man

I've got a 45 ACP Blackhawk conversion, but on the Navies anyway, there is not enough room on the cylinder, & possibly even the barrel would be too tight...

I am planning on building another set, on the 51 Navies, thinking about doing them in 44 American Bulldog, to match an antique pocket double I have ( my antique gun uses shortened 44 Special cases, with the rims thinned ) & my builder buddy thought we may need to go to a 5 shot cylinder on the 51 Navy...

or...

to keep it CAS legal for 5 rounds, we are looking at doing a 22 ish "safety" chamber for the 6th chamber & only dropping the hammer on that chamber leaving 5 safe rounds in the gun... of course the gun would not index on that "dummy" chamber, & would have to be placed there manually... we're actually still looking at the possibilities...

I'm sure you could possibly do 45 ACP on a Remington... I just love the balance & looks of the open top Colts...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; November 19, 2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old November 19, 2015, 03:46 PM   #23
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Anybody ever make a .45 ACP conversion?
Probably not, it might not hold up long with hardball, but it would be handy for me to load midrange for.
Yes

http://www.howelloldwestconversions....DE3112A8A012BA