The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 25, 2014, 10:39 PM   #1
jerlin1996

Colt Navy London or third model Dragoon

Greetings everyone. I am in the market for a black powder revolver and plan to order one from Dixie Gun Works within the next week. The gun will primarily be used for fun, plinking, and maybe even reenactments. If I get good enough, I may try competing with it one day if there are contests out there strictly for black powder revolver shooting. It looks like most of the cowboy action contests involve the use of both pistol AND revolver. Am I correct? Anyway, I doubt I will ever hunt with it as hunting these days has become far too expensive and to be honest, I've never been that interested in hunting. I do have experience with handguns. I grew up shooting them - both black powder and non – black powder, including my dad's 1858 Remington .44 and then another Remington style revolver in .36. just really want a black powder revolver. I am drawn to both the .44 Colt third model Dragoon and the .36 1851 Navy London model. I realize these are two totally different guns in two totally different calibers. I realize there are also great differences in the two sizes. I have made up my mind that I want a Colt replica from Uberti. I'm just a fan of the Colt style guns and for some reason these two styles just really intrigue me. Like I said, I am a newbie to black powder revolver ownership and I am a newbie to the forum. Any suggestions or advice any of you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! By the way, I know questions like this have been asked before. I have done some homework and I do know what to expect as far as loading, cleaning, and general care. I read other similar posts. I guess I am just wanting more advice about choosing between these two styles of revolvers and these two calibers.
Old June 26, 2014, 12:34 AM   #2
Trum4n1208

They're both very different beasts (big heavy horse pistol vs. Light belt model), but both would be a ton of fun. The 3rd model Dragoon was supposedly Sam Colt's favorite gun, and for good reason. It's big and loud and powerful and just a monster of a gun. The '51 Navy was probably the most widely used handgun of its day, And saw use by Bill Hickok, Doc Holiday, and John Wesley Hardin. It was very popular and extremely well balanced.

Now, as for your question. I own a Uberti Walker, the older brother of the Dragoon, and let me say, those big pistols are a hoot to shoot. But now, I've got an itch for a Navy, so I might have to encourage you to get one (let me live vicariously through you). The obvious solution is to get both
Old June 26, 2014, 02:05 AM   #3
hartcreek

Get em both

Once you get the dragoon you will realize how puny the rest are. I own several Navies and Armies but I bought a Uberti Walker last year and it shoots great and I got it at Cabellas for $279. I hate the C store but some times you just have to give in. Personalyl I would not buy the dragoon. The walker is heavy when you first get it but you quickly grow accustomed to the weight and lack of recoil when you shoot it because of its weight.
Old June 26, 2014, 12:32 PM   #4
maillemaker

Once you get one, you'll probably be wanting more.

I have 5 Piettas and 1 Uberti, and my Uberti Walker is by far my most accurate revolver. Take that anecdote for what it's worth.

I enjoy shooting the massive Walker. Recoil is low because of its weight. It is very accurate and I can hit a man-sized target at 100 yards with it.

I scored a 45 out of 50 at a competition last weekend. 4 in the black and one outside at 50 yards.

It's hard to hold it out there for extended periods of time due to its weight - the smaller revolvers point much more easily.

Steve
Old June 26, 2014, 05:56 PM   #5
44 Dave

I am a .36 Navy fan, it is the best pointing and just feels right in the hand.
Have .44s, Colts and Remington, and once owned and shot an original 1st model Dragoon.
If you don't need to stop a horse go with the Navy!
Old June 26, 2014, 06:26 PM   #6
BillM

Uberti also makes the 1861 Navy. I've got one in the steel framed
version--and I actually like it better than than the 1851 Navy.
Old June 27, 2014, 06:49 AM   #7
44 Dave

I have never handled a '61, but '60-'61 barrel shape lends its self to closing the barrel gap. If one gets it to "tuning" these things.
Still voting for the .36 Navy.
Old June 27, 2014, 05:19 PM   #8
Model12Win

Well according to FedEx a Cimarron 1851 Colt Navy .36 revolver should be arriving on my doorstep tomorrow.

Interestingly, I have also been really itchin' for a Cimarron/Uberti 1847 Colt Walker as well, but decided on the Navy for my first C&B revolver due to the fact that it is more practical and costs less to shoot.

But... a Walker certainly might be in my future, so I'm quite interested in this thread!
Old June 28, 2014, 06:50 AM   #9
Trum4n1208

Jealous of you, enjoy that Navy! And when you decide to get a Walker, do so with confidence. They're just a ton of fun. They have their quirks, but at the end of the day, they're a Walker, and they're just tons of fun to shoot.
Old June 28, 2014, 01:08 PM   #10
Hawg

You're gonna love that navy. The thing about Uberti is they have a habit of making short arbors so you really need to watch wedge depth and not seat it too deep.
Old June 28, 2014, 02:30 PM   #11
bushmaster65

My first was a Uberti Walker. I loved it so much I went and bought a 2nd model Uberti dragoon. I now also own a Whitneyville dragoon. I have 4 51' navies but they are brass ASM's and a steel frame Pietta. I love the H*** outa all of em and really, you only have to answer one question. Do you want a physically heavy pistol or one that even your lady friends and young uns would have fun with? The Dragoons are not as "man size" as the walker but can still be imposing enough to scare people off.

Either way, have fun sir and welcome to the forum.
Old June 28, 2014, 02:45 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd go with any used Colt myself. I'm no purist.
Old July 15, 2014, 08:21 PM   #13
ZVP

Go with a .36 London!
You'll never shoot a nicer revolver! Thhe combination of the low axis of the barrel and the Peacemaker grip shape make for a one of a kind revolver! The grip just makes this revolver.it feels more like part of the hand than any other model. It literally is the easiest to hit with revolver I have ever shot!
Standard 22-25 gr "full loads; get near supersonic and make a tremondous amount of power for the "small" bore. Flat shooting, the balls seem to fire forever and accuracy with the flat shootig ball is suprising.
I have one London, an Uberti Model and will someday buy a Piettia just to copare the two,
My Uberti London is without a doubt has the best action of any Single Action I own or have ever shot! It must be the geometry of how they locate the pivot srews that does it. I'm just guessing but it makes most sense. All I know is that it is wonderfully smooth and consistant throughout the pull.
Like was said above, if you don't need to shoot a Horse, get the .36!
ZVP
Old July 15, 2014, 11:29 PM   #14
44 Dave

You will use less powder and lead, hit more bull;s eyes, and have more fun with the .36 Navy!
Old July 16, 2014, 12:27 AM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

All my BP revolvers are 44 round ball.

If I had to start fresh, I'd go with a .36. More balls per pound and less powder per shot.
Old August 12, 2014, 10:27 PM   #16
Shotput79

I have a Uberti Walker and Uberti Whitneyville dragoon both are fine guns and they are heavy hitters and go through a lot of powder to shoot. I also have a Uberti 51 Colt Navy in 36 cal love the little 51. Just starting out I'd haft to go with the 51 in 36 cal. You can always save up and get the Walker or Dragoon later. If you get one and start shooting it you'll be going after another sooner or later anyway.
Old August 12, 2014, 10:46 PM   #17
James K
Member In Memoriam

I'm just a little confused. A Dragoon is a pistol and a London Navy is a revolver?

Colt called them all pistols, but both are either one or the other.

Jim
Old August 12, 2014, 11:33 PM   #18
Shotput79

Hi Jim. I know there is a Dragoon single shot pistol in 58 cal and there are 44 cal Colt Dragoon six shot revolvers. Two different guns is that what your talking about? From the reviews over at DGWs the single shot Dragoons aren't all that good.
Old August 13, 2014, 09:16 AM   #19
salvadore

Trum4n1208, is there some documentation that doc carried/used a '51?
Old August 14, 2014, 11:21 AM   #20
Trum4n1208

I remember seeing mention of it in a book. I believe it was 'Doc Holiday: The Life and Legend,' by Gary Roberts. If memory serves, it's mentioned within the first 50-60 pages or so.
Old August 14, 2014, 09:57 PM   #21
salvadore

Trum4n1208 thanks, I believe I'll see if my library has it or can get it.
Old August 14, 2014, 10:00 PM   #22
Trum4n1208

My pleasure. Now as I recall, he had the '51 earlier in his life, before he had left the South. I don't remember if he continued to carry it later on in life, but he did learn to shoot with one.
Old August 15, 2014, 01:37 PM   #23
ligonierbill

Elmer Keith used to shoot squirrels with an 1851 Navy when he was growing up in Missouri. It so happens I just came back from my first range day with a Pietta copy, the one Cabela's is selling for $200. What a hoot! I have heard they shoot high, etc, but this one was right on. Very nicely balanced with just the right amount of weight forward. I also have a Colt C-series that will go along next time. No complaints about the Italian, though. Haven't tried the Dragoon, but I think I might spring for an Italian copy of the 1860 Army. You might consider that if you want a bigger bore. They sell .44 Navy copies, but there never was such a thing back in the day.
Old August 16, 2014, 11:53 AM   #24
45 Dragoon

Well, you might have more fun with a Dragoon !! Check out Brushhippies latest vid. Shooting a Third Modle Dragoon.
Can't believe he fanned it !!!!!
Old September 5, 2014, 08:55 PM   #25
Hardy

I have a 3rd gen Colt dragoon serial # 250+/- never fired but polished too much the gold is now off the wedge and frame screws but still looks great-never broken [email protected] It was a commerotive and only 800+/-were made gold cylinder trigger backstrap etc and silver plated frame and barrel. 550

Tags
.36 , .44 , black powder , colt , uberti