The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 8, 2015, 02:14 PM   #1
Dragline45

Fiber Optic Front Sight Post AR15 Recommendations

Anyone use a fiber optic front sight post on their AR?

Recently had to sell my Aimpoint since I had to dump a bunch more money than I thought into my truck, damn money pit. Since I will be running irons for a while I have been thinking about putting in a fiber optic front sight post, ever since I had them on my Glock 17 I really took a shine to them. Also sold my Magpul backup iron sight and replaced it with a Daniel Defense fixed rear, so I think the combination will make for a nice shooting rifle with irons.
Old August 8, 2015, 05:30 PM   #2
Theohazard

I'm worried that a fiber optic (or tritium) front sight would present the following problem: You're supposed to center the very top of the front sight in the rear sight aperture like this:

But with tritium or fiber optic inserts in the front sight, all of a sudden you're centering the glowing insert in the center of the rear sight aperture instead, like this:

This would mess up someone like me who is too used to doing it the classic way. Also, in low-light situations where you can't see the fiber optic dot (or in bright-light situations if you're using tritium), the dot won't be very visible, and I'd think that most people would revert to the classic sight picture, which would cause them to shoot low.
Old August 8, 2015, 07:13 PM   #3
Dragline45

Quote:
I'm worried that a fiber optic (or tritium) front sight would present the following problem: You're supposed to center the very top of the front sight in the rear sight aperture like this
That's a good point. While it wouldn't be an issue in CQB distances like you would have with a pistol and afiber optic sight, shooting at targets out at a distance might cause some problems with the rifle. Maybe I will just use some white paint on the front sight.
Old August 8, 2015, 07:24 PM   #4
Bultaco

Put glowing dot on top of target & squeeze. It isn't designed to be a precision iron sight. the fiber optic answers a lot of the low light issues & the rear peep was always deigned to be self centering so no problem.
Old August 9, 2015, 01:40 AM   #5
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline45
Maybe I will just use some white paint on the front sight.
I would think that would cause the same problem. Like the tritium or fiber-optic front sight, it would be fine for close-up CQB use, but it could cause issues with longer-range target shooting. In the Marine Corps we used to blacken the front sights on our M16A2s at the range because any shiny spots could potentially mess up our sight picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultaco
It isn't designed to be a precision iron sight.
Are you referring to the fiber-optic front sight, or AR-15 iron sights in general? If you're referring to the fiber-optic front sight, I agree that it's fine for close range use, but it could cause problems if someone decided to use it for more precise shooting. If you're referring to the iron sights in general, I can tell you that the iron sights on my M16A2 allowed me to repeatedly hit a torso-sized target at 500 yards, which is fairly precise.
Old August 9, 2015, 09:55 AM   #6
Dragline45

Quote:
I would think that would cause the same problem. Like the tritium or fiber-optic front sight, it would be fine for close-up CQB use, but it could cause issues with longer-range target shooting. In the Marine Corps we used to blacken the front sights on our M16A2s at the range because any shiny spots could potentially mess up our sight picture.
Considering paint can go up to the very top of the front sight I disagree, and they make flat white paint just like flat back paint. I can pick up a white sight post easier than a black sight post.
Old August 9, 2015, 10:57 AM   #7
Theohazard

Well, I have to say I've never tried it, so you definitely could be right. But the purpose of blacking out the front sight was so we could focus on the very tip of the front sight. The Marine Corps used the term "clear tip of the front sight", because when you focused on it, the tip almost looked clear. And with the entire sight being white, that would definitely be harder.

Like I said, it would probably be fine for CQB shooting, but precise target shooting would almost certainly be more difficult. So I guess it all depends on what kind of shooting you're planning on doing.