The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2015, 04:59 PM   #1
tardis

differences in lee press kits?

what is the differences in the value press kit and the classic kit?

value
https://fsreloading.com/lee-precisio...kit-90928.html

classic
https://fsreloading.com/lee-precisio...kit-90304.html

the classic kit seems to never be in stock anywhere, while the value one is... are they really that different? is it basically the same press but one kit has more accessories?

i only plan to do pistol ammo now, but id like to do some rifle ammo reloading in the future. They both seem to do rifle.

am i missing something? any help is greatly appreciated.
Old March 10, 2015, 05:12 PM   #2
FWest

The press. I think the classic cast turret is a better press that the regular turret. Compare them and I think you will see why.
Old March 10, 2015, 05:14 PM   #3
Doyle

Isn't the classic the cast iron model? Or, am I thinking of something else.
Old March 10, 2015, 05:15 PM   #4
mikejonestkd

I have the lee classic turret it is the one to choose.
Old March 10, 2015, 06:05 PM   #5
lamarw

The classic is heavier duty. One great thing about it over the lower priced unit is the classic has a tube under the bottom which the used/decapped primers fall into.

I own both and if you are on a budget, there is nothing wrong with the lesser of the two. You can feel a difference in the two, and I would recommend the classic. I do not consider either as a cheap or inferior product.

The same Lee primer and powder devices will fit on either turret press.

On both of mine, I personally choose to disconnect and not use the indexing feature. I can operate it just as quickly and it works better for turning either direction when reloading rifle rounds. I do think I am in the minority by doing so.

Last edited by lamarw; March 10, 2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old March 10, 2015, 06:05 PM   #6
the led farmer

The 4-hole is made of aluminum, the classic (LCT) is cast iron(?), much more solid.

4-hole has a spent primer tray, LCT has a drop through collection tube

LCT auto indexes brass 1" taller.

Generally speaking the LCT is a sturdier, better product, there is a reason you can't find it in stock!
Old March 10, 2015, 06:39 PM   #7
surveyor

As led farmer said, classic can handle longer length cartridges, I prefer my classic cast to my friends 4 hole aluminum base model.

Here is some diffrences between the two.
http://leeprecision.com/reloading-presses/turret-press
Old March 10, 2015, 07:27 PM   #8
tardis

awesome, thanks everyone! now if i could only find one available to buy
Old March 10, 2015, 07:50 PM   #9
histed

Cabelas had then online about a week ago. I'm having the same problem - when I have the cash, can't find the press. When I find the press, don't have the cash. Maybe this'll help you
Old March 10, 2015, 09:29 PM   #10
Doyle

Have you tried Amazon? When I was poking around pricing stuff they looked to be the cheapest. Free shipping too when you have a Prime membership.
Old March 10, 2015, 09:41 PM   #11
kostner

Had two Lee turret presses that I sold using the funds to buy the better Lee Classic turret press that allows me to reload rifle ammo. Used mine almost nightly to reload 223/5.56 ammo. Also use it as a single stage press when needed.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-C...ess/727910.uts
Old March 10, 2015, 09:52 PM   #12
jrobin3360

Another vote for the Lee Classic Turret.

All of my ammo (rifle & pistol) gets loaded with it.
Old March 10, 2015, 09:54 PM   #13
Lost Sheep

Thanks for asking our advice. Welcome to the forum.

I wrote this summation a while ago, so I apologize for those facts that are repeated from earlier posts.
Thanks for opportunity to use it.

The Lee Classic Turret (not to be confused with the Lee Classic Cast, which is a single stage press) and the Lee Deluxe Turret operate in exactly the same manner. (Except for some older, now discontinued models of the Deluxe which have 3 die stations - and, no, the 4-hole turrets do not interchange with the 3-hole turrets.)

Same speed, many of the same parts and same operating mode and technique. They operate in exactly the same way, but have differences in detail that (in my opinion) make up for the difference in price.

Those differences.

Evolution: The Classic Turret is the newer design of the two.

Durability: The Classic Turret's base is cast iron, the Deluxe is cast aluminum. Iron wears better than the softer metal, aluminum.

Ease of use: The Deluxe has a 1" smaller vertical opening than the Classic Turret. Though either is capable of taking rifle cartridges, the Classic Turret will take longer ones and if you have big hands is the clear winner.

Spent Primer Handling: The Deluxe drops primers out of a slot in the ram to fall into a cavity inside the press base. But only about 90% succeed in their intended journey. The Classic drops primers down the center of the hollow ram and into a clear plastic tube which can contain a few hundred primers or be directed into a receptacle of your choice. The difference in the behavior of the debris (products of combustion) from the spent primers is even more striking. With the Deluxe, you wind up with primer detritus all over and have to dismount the press and sweep up the pile of spent primers every several hundred rounds. So the Classic remains much cleaner.

More on Durability: The Deluxe ram is smaller in diameter than the Classic's ram. This gives a much different bearing surface for the ram to be guided as it moves up and down. The Classic press will last much longer because of the increased surface area and because iron is tougher than aluminum.

Even more on Durability: The Deluxe's linkage is aluminum and stampings. The Classic's linkage is more robust. I believe the leverage on both is the same. I have heard/read that current production Deluxe presses have the steel linkage similar to the Classic's.

In the examples posted, the Deluxe has the optional roller handle, which is said to be easier to use, so an upgrade over the standard, stock handle. The same handle is available for the Classic Turret.

In summary:

The Deluxe is aluminum, spills spent primers and has a slightly smaller opening (which you may find important when loading long cartridges or long bullets. Kempf's gun shop (online) assembles a kit containing the Classic Turret and does not force someone who already reloads to take other stuff you already have (except a set of dies and some cartridge boxes).

I think that's about it.

Lost Sheep

This is the Lee Deluxe Turret Press
http://leeprecision.com/4-hole-turre...uto-index.html

This is the Lee Classic Turret Press
http://leeprecision.com/4-hole-class...ret-press.html

P.S. My Classic Turret drops right into a medium size toolbox when not in use. My RockChucker won't fit in the same toolbox, or if it does it is a tight fit.

The first time used my Classic Turret (after a practice run of a handful of rounds) I loaded 100 rounds of 45ACP in 47 minutes. That included filling the primer tray and powder hopper. And I am SLOW and careful. But thas was using the automatic indexing.
Old March 10, 2015, 09:55 PM   #14
jell-dog
Retired Screen Name

lee classic turret press kit

Try here, cheapest price I have found:
https://fsreloading.com/lee-precisio...kit-90304.html

Lee Precision Classic Turret Press Kit Product #90304 is the kit you want!
It will load rifle & pistol cartridges and drops the primers down through the ram into a tube you can route to your garbage can or other container.
Makes resizing/de-priming much cleaner.

Lee Precision Value 4 Hole Turret Press Product #90928 is cheaper, but can only load pistol cartridges.

Google the Lee part #90304 to find one for sale.

I have the 90304 kit and love it!!
JD
Old March 11, 2015, 07:26 AM   #15
lee n. field

yet another vote for the classic.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "