The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 14, 2000, 09:55 PM   #1
Joe Portale

A couple of days ago while sitting around talking to a couple of friends, the subject of shooting came up. (as it always does )

My one friend just bought a black Remington 700 Police "sniper" grade rifle. I forgot which one exactly, it is a BDL with the detachable magazine, in .308 Winnie. He is a cop and apparnetly only LEO's can get these. (Or so he says)

Anyway I digress, the rifle came with a box of mach grade Remington ammo, in hollow point. I started fishing around and noticed that more and more match grade ammo is showing up in hollow point. Now let's face some facts, my friends and I are wanna be high power shooters and accuracy freaks. Our coletive experience is seven matches between three guys. I lead the pack with four matches under my belt. I am a dyed in the spire point boat tail kinda guy. It seems to me with that hole in the front of the bullet, the way it cuts the wind would cause additional air turbulance at the back of the round. This turbulance would cause the bullet to cant up or down a bit, throwing off the accuracy.

Am I full of it? If so, can someone explain the ballistics.

Thanks

------------------
Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona Territory

"Those who turn their swords into plow shears,
end up plowing the fields of those who didn't"
Thomas Jefferson
Old September 15, 2000, 12:13 AM   #2
BigPig

Im no expert, but the main reasons that hollow points are more accurate are:

The lead is farther back in the bullet, thereby putting the center of gravity toward the rear. A more stable bullet results.

Also, the solid base.

Lastly, these bullets, match grade ones expecially are more concentric. The "hole" isnt big enough to cause negative aerodynamic effects. These bullets arent designed to expand either.

Thats a pretty short summary, but those are basically the reasons for a more accurate bullet. Keep in mind that the polymer tip bullets, like Hornady's A-MAX are basically hollow points, with a piece of plastic in the hole. Also quite accurate. HTH
Old September 15, 2000, 09:57 AM   #3
Hutch

I sorta recall reading something Sierra mailed me about the fact that it's easier to form jacket in a predictably uniform manner by drawing it from the base into a hollow point.
Old September 15, 2000, 10:47 AM   #4
Jack Straw

Something else about the hollow points...
As BigPig said they are more concentric. This is because they are made with thinner walls. The thinner copper can be drawn out more consistently than thicker walls. That is why match bullets, while they may provide a greater degree of accuracy, are not suggested for hunting big game.

Jack