The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 1, 2005, 02:31 AM   #1
Sturm

Hornady One Shot Lube

I was loading .30-30 yesterday and while I was spraying the cases with One Shot, I noticed a very familiar fragrance, NO, it wasn't Chanel #5! but, it did smell quite a bit like cooking oil in aerosol cans! Yeah, I'm warped and you already know the question, so how about some answers since we don't need to be paying $5 for a half sized can of Pam?
Old May 1, 2005, 06:02 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

taste test

Hmmmm.........perhaps an in-depth investigation into One-Shot vs PAM, ay?

But I'll bet actual money that PAM won't work as well as One-Shot (nor visa-versa), and it might require cleaning residue before storage or firing.

Since I've still got the same can I started with..........
Old May 1, 2005, 07:56 AM   #3
Dogjaw

Fry up some eggs, and let us know how One Shot tastes..
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old May 1, 2005, 08:03 AM   #4
bergie

Good one Dogjaw

The cooking spray my wife buys contains olive oil, aint gonna use it for my ammo, or my eggs either.

bergie
Old May 1, 2005, 08:12 AM   #5
Russ5924

Don't load rifle but when I load my .45Colt I use Armor All seems to work OK. I spray some on a rag and put the cases in the rag and wipe them down not sure what would happen if it gets in the case.
Old May 1, 2005, 08:19 AM   #6
Dogjaw

Personally, I'll pay more for a product that I know will not affect powder and primer over other concoctions trying to save pennies. Call it reloaders insurance. A can of One Shot lasts so long, I don't even consider it as an expense when reloading.
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old May 1, 2005, 12:22 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

The odor was probably the alcohol solvent. I know someone who does use Pam (store brand knockoff, actually), and it seems to work well for him. He uses it on small, bottlenecked cases like .22 Hornet.

The only problem is that it's an organic oil, not petroleum based. That means that you HAVE to clean the dies and the cases thoroughly, or else you'll build up a layer of varnish and decayed oil very quickly.
Old May 1, 2005, 12:30 PM   #8
Zekewolf

Mike, petroleum is organic.
Old May 1, 2005, 12:38 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Wolf,

Organic in the sense that it's edible, hence the distinction I tried between organic and petroleum based.

Maybe you fry your eggs in 20w-50, but I don't!
Old May 1, 2005, 02:44 PM   #10
Sturm

Actually, One Shot does seem to go a ways, but then again a lot of case lubes do also, they're just not as convenient. It also drops in temperature fairly rapidly the more you spray it, probably the pressure catalyst. Does anyone actually know what is in One Shot?

It has never caused a primer or powder problem with my reloads, but after a couple of squirts, it does freeze up and I have to wait for the can to get back to room temperature to start using it again which is hendering the convenience element and therefore, it's value.

Wonder what cowboys and buffalo hunters used for lube in their old Lyman hand tools? Who knows, they might have even ate their eggs cooked in the same stuff. I'm not suggesting anyone try this for loaded ammunition, but just for kicks, I think I'll spray some old cases with cooking spray, resize them and let them sit awhile and see what affect it has on the brass. Afterall, dies should be cleaned periodically anyway!
Old May 1, 2005, 10:31 PM   #11
drinks

Lube

Just most anything slick has been used for lube, bacon grease[ the salt does bad things], pure lard, beef tallow, mutton fat, of course, wool fat, aka lanolin, motor oil, cup grease and even soap.
I started out using Johnson's Carnuba paste floor wax and really don't see that any of the specific case or bullet lubes are a real improvement over it.
Don
Old May 1, 2005, 10:44 PM   #12
Trapp

I just use whatever is laying around.......Right now it is that teflon stuff from dupont. Sometimes I don't use any at all........
Old May 1, 2005, 11:51 PM   #13
G56

Quote:
Wonder what cowboys and buffalo hunters used for lube in their old Lyman hand tools? Who knows, they might have even ate their eggs cooked in the same stuff.
LARD, and they cooked with it too!
Old May 2, 2005, 12:34 AM   #14
Sturm

Thank you G56 that's what I wanted to see. Look guys, I was in a mood as you could no doubt tell, so this was a bit tongue in cheek. Hell, I was laughin' before I got it finished. Thanks for all the input and humor!!!

BTW, any of you ever see a Western with Robert Taylor and Stewart Granger where they did portray Buffalo hunters? It was one of the first movies I ever saw where they were actually loadin' up the night before, just after supper, but I can't think of the name of the movie. For that matter, I can't think about Robert Taylor without thinkin' Ivanhoe or Elizabeth in her PRIME!
Old May 2, 2005, 01:41 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

I doubt that the buffalo hunters would have used lard, unless they had stocked up at the nearest town. Lard is rendered from a hog. I suspect they would have used tallow, which is the hard fat obtained from cows or bison.