The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 19, 2012, 08:50 PM   #1
OnraSR

1st time poster, About to apply, few questions

Hello every body

I live in Westchester, in my mid 30's and id like to have a pistol permit. Id like to use a handgun at ranges.

I also own a hunting cabin in upstate ny, I was also curious if i cani use my handgun on my own property, if i had a permit with target restriction?

Heres my main concern .. I have a record and im so worried if it will stop me

1. I was arrested when i was 14 for shoplifting. after 1yr i received my finger prints back (originals) I dont know what this means. does it exist in the records? do i report it? I imagine its not even a huge deal

2. I had a DUI years ago. I paid my dues it was all very costly and it wont ever happen again. I also understand it is good that i blew the officer told me if i dont, i would lose my license on the spot for refusing. I of course complied.

Thank you everyone.

- Onra
Old April 19, 2012, 09:18 PM   #2
stu925

Neither charge should be a huge issue but be up front on the application about it. As for being able to shoot on your property it'll depend on the local ordinances and how much property you own as well as proximity to your neighbors. My advice would be to apply for the full carry permit now so that if you decide later that you want to carry you don't have to go back and have the permit amended. I have no idea how easy or difficult Westchester might be to get a permit in but maybe someone else can shed some light on that.

Stu
Old April 19, 2012, 10:35 PM   #3
tmperez

Your DUI may be a problem, here in NY they try to find any reason not to give you a permit. YOU SHOULD DISCLOSE your record, they will know anyway and at least if you are truthful you will have that on your side.

It took me over a year here in Dutchess County and I dont even have a speeding ticket.

Make sure you research the laws in your upstate area, it would be a real bummer to get your permit, then have it taken away.

go for full carry...target permits are too restrictive. You would get jammed up if caught with the pistol on your hip walking around your cabin, and I know if I were upstate at a cabin I would want my pistol on my hip.

There are some really good gun shops in Westchester and Dutchess county, go in and talk to the guys there, they would prob know best.

Good luck
Old April 20, 2012, 09:33 AM   #4
OnraSR

I have heard a few times to just go for a full carry.

I was always under the impression you had to have a real purpose for having it? either loads of money being moved, a business, or something else.

I dont have a lot of money, nor do i own a store.

or is it not that difficult to get? maybe i will just get it because you are right about wanting to have it on my hip in my cabin

Thank you
Old April 20, 2012, 11:37 AM   #5
sourdough44

In most areas the law is much easier to deal with if you 'open carry', like on your own camp property or in the woods. It sounds like you need a permit just to own a handgun in NY. I'd think you should be able to get & own a handgun, I'd start there. Later on you can investigate CC options.

About the charge when you were 14, I'd try to see if that incident is on your record. My general M.O. is to NOT volunteer any unnecessary information that doesn't help your cause. Of course you'd want to know what comes up on a search.
Old April 20, 2012, 11:52 AM   #6
tmperez

Not sure how it is in Westchester, but Dutchess County really does not issue "restrictive" permits, seems like in DC if you are going to get a permit its going to be full.

Your reason for full carry would be (if they ask only, dont offer) I spend time at my remote cabin where I am in the woods on my property and get concerned about 4 legged creatures. My kids are with me, my dogs etc...

Here in NY it is not accepted for people to carry pistols for protection from humans (I think some may argue with me on that, but that my opinion)

Pistol Permits here in NY are very difficult to get. Its going to he a hell of a process. Will most likely take you at least 8 months about 250$ and a lot of waiting. And because you have a DUI it may be a bit more difficult. NY is one of the hardest states to get a permit in, even after you have it you cant walk into a gun store and walk out with a pistol. You need to buy it, send info to the Sheriff's office and wait for them to send you back an amended permit, then you can go pick up the gun.

If your serious about getting it, you will do it lawfully and jump through all the hoops that NYS requires. IMO I like the NY gun laws, with the exception of the wait time and not allowing a NY permitted resident in NYC with a pistol. I think it keeps guns out of irresponsible peoples hands. Owning a gun and carrying it is a huge responsibility, and in some ways changes the way you look at things and situations. You become (at least for me) much less irritable, and become more torrential of situations. Not sure why, but thats what happened to me, maybe its the fact that I dont want to jeopardize loosing my permit for something stupid (like a traffic altercation)

Good luck
Old April 20, 2012, 11:55 AM   #7
tmperez

Quote:
About the charge when you were 14, I'd try to see if that incident is on your record. My general M.O. is to NOT volunteer any unnecessary information that doesn't help your cause. Of course you'd want to know what comes up on a search.
NY is no joke, trust me they will know, they are not using beenverified.com they are using state and federal DB's. I think you are better off telling them. It says on the application if you lie about your record you will be automatically disqualified. Once you are rejected, you are done, you would need to move to another state to legally own. Hell at 14 you can kind of laugh about it, "silly kid steeling candy trying to find himself"

Last edited by tmperez; April 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old April 21, 2012, 03:30 PM   #8
OnraSR

Thank you all, I don't have much of an issue disclosing the incident from my childhood, I cant imagine it would be a huge deal.

you said it would be a hell of a process, meaning what exactly?
Old April 21, 2012, 10:52 PM   #9
tmperez

Its a lot of paperwork that need to be filled out perfectly, notarized etc.. I think you also need to get 4 references. You will prob have to take a half day off from work for finger prints. Its just a long painful process. Start it and see...
Old June 13, 2013, 10:16 AM   #10
FuzzyWuzzy

Westchster County has it's own licensing process unlike NYC

I too am in the process of moving to Westchester County and am interested in obtaining a carry permit for the purposes of target shooting at an NRA certified range. You need to obtain the proper forms from the Westchester County Clerk, located in White Plains, or from their website (Google Search will help you find it) and fill it out with a small fee and mail it to them. If you're squeaky clean and don't have any convictions or felonies, I see no reason why they'd deny you a pistol permit. They will call you in for an interview asking you to justify your desire to possess a handgun (as if the 2nd amendment isn't self explanatory but I am preaching to the choir here), but this is NY we're dealing with and according to the liberal who run this state, guns are evil possessed objects that magically wake up one day and go on shooting sprees. (note extreme sarcasm ). The biggest challenge I find in the license application process is finding those 4 references to vouch for your good moral character who are NOT anti-gun, like the ones who helped to pass the unconstitutional NY SAFE Act, to sign off on the form.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; June 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: political invective.
Old June 13, 2013, 04:30 PM   #11
press1280

Westchester is the county that denied Kachalsky a full carry permit. If it were relatively easy to get one, they wouldn't have been sued.
It looks like your work is cut out for you........