The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 14, 2013, 09:57 AM   #1
shevchenko

Clement 1909/1910 .32 ACP

Hello everyone! I hope someone can help me answer some questions about a piece of my family history which has become a bit of an obsession for me.

I recently inherited my late grandfather's pistol. It appears to be a Clement model 1909/1910 .32 ACP (7.65mm) semiautomatic from Liege, Belgium. My grandfather, whose family emigrated from Ukraine, served in the U.S. Army in the Pacific theater from 1942 until the end of WWII, and I'm not sure why he would have been carrying a European WWI-era sidearm, as it does not appear to have been popular during either war. There's precious little info about this model online, can anyone tell me more about this piece?

Also, does anyone know where I might find replacement grips? I removed and saved the Bakelite grips because one side is badly damaged and I'd like to take it to the range at some point. I've scoured the Internet and found several vintage gun sites (Triple K, Vintage Gun Grips, Numrich) selling replacement grips for the M1909 .25 ACP (6.35mm) Clement, but for some reason I can't find anyone selling grips for the larger caliber pistol. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as this cherished piece is of great sentimental value to me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clement32cal.jpg (168.5 KB, 46 views)
Old January 14, 2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Scorch

Contact Vintage Grips and tell them of your dilemma. Since they are always looking for pattern grips, they used to offer a free set of grips in trade for using the original grips as a pattern.

Many people fought in the war. Many people owned firearms. Just because Gramps owned a pistol and fought in the war does not mean the two are related in any way. Wars are fought with military weapons, not pocket pistols.
Old January 14, 2013, 04:33 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is possible that your grandfather carried a prsonally owned .32 caliber pocket pistol through the war, but I doubt it.

I do know the .32 Clement seems to be a rarer gun than the 5mm or .25 caliber models. Its chief "claim to fame" is that it was the gun on which S&W based their .35 Model 1913 pistol. Because most of the good ideas in pocket pistols had been patented by Browning and Searle, S&W went looking for a different design and found it in the Clement to which they bought the patent rights. Some Clement features are seen to this day in the S&W .22 caliber auto pistols.

Jim
Old January 19, 2013, 05:19 PM   #4
shevchenko

Quote:
Contact Vintage Grips and tell them of your dilemma. Since they are always looking for pattern grips, they used to offer a free set of grips in trade for using the original grips as a pattern.
Do you think Vintage Grips could use the old grips as a pattern even if they are a bit cracked, with a small chunk missing? Is there any way I could keep the old ones?
Old January 19, 2013, 06:28 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Write and ask about grips. You can tell them you can provide a pattern and see what they say.

Jim

Tags
.32 acp in a vintage auto , clement , grips , identification , wwi