The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 20, 2012, 05:27 PM   #151
zukiphile

I do not ordinarily write letters for my own causes and the other than my ordinary NRA dues I do not contribute money to political causes. For this issue, I will depart from my pattern and work for the defeat of people who held their fingers to the wind to inform their change of heart.

I can understand not making a specific civil rights argument at an inopportune moment for the purpose of preserving one's career. However, there is a material difference between staying silent when words will not suffice and affirmatively saying the wrong thing.
Old December 21, 2012, 02:34 AM   #152
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
An interesting perspective is that all the support and special circumstances allow more affluent kids (middle class and up) to make it through high school.

That level of support is not available in college or the job world and they crash.
The perspective you present is very interesting and tends to mirror the explanation given in a suicide note by the young man who killed his teacher-father with a bow and arrow on November 30th in a Wyoming college classroom.

From the Daily Mail (UK), 12/19/2012:

Quote:
Krumm wrote he was fired or had to quit four jobs.

‘Despite having a Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering I have not been able to solve the novel problems I need to solve at work,’ he wrote.
Interestingly, the young man attributed his problems to Asperger’s syndrome.
Old December 21, 2012, 06:57 AM   #153
bfskinnerpunk

Young inner city "thugs" get the easy, accomodating treatment, too.

Everyone works hard to avoid upsetting the little Snoop Dog. This kid doesn't take "no" for an answer, and the staff make darn sure to avoid that word!

Then, the kid ages out of school..... and all bets are off. Watch your back.
Old December 21, 2012, 09:38 AM   #154
tobnpr

Quote:
New gun control may not be as easy as the media would have us believe. According to Fox News, the NRA is having record new membership registration.

My NRA membership had lapsed last month... been planning to renew, just been procrastinating....

The day of this horrible tragedy, I went online and paid the $35...

The NRA is going to need our continued help and support more than ever, NOW.

Regardless of what you may think of some of the politics within the organization, we need them- so JOIN NOW, if you are not a member...and if you're like me and have let it lapse, RENEW...

Our voices MUST be heard over the minority, but very vocal, opponents to our Second Amendment rights.
Old December 21, 2012, 10:53 AM   #155
Glenn E. Meyer

http://www.guns.com/2012/12/20/brown...s-in-36-hours/

Quote:
“To shed some more light on the magazine situation at present, it really has been unprecedented in the last 5 days. During a roughly the 72 hour period from Sunday afternoon to Monday evening we sold the ‘average demand’ equivalent of about 3.5 years worth of PMAGS, and and an even greater amount of our Brownells magazines. We’re working like crazy to get these orders to you as quickly as possible.”
Around here, the big box sporting good stores have been sweep clean of EBRs. Academy usually has about 25 on the shelves. All gone - and they have quite a few stores. Another local outfit sold 37 of them.

Ammo is scarce - 9, 45 and 223 - gone. But there was alot of 40 SW - go figure.
Old December 21, 2012, 11:15 AM   #156
nate45

Mayor Bloomberg is now on record saying he is a strong supporter of the second amendment.

“I don’t think there’s anybody that’s defended the Second Amendment as much as I have, Ray,” Mr. Bloomberg said to a caller who asked him why he was “so against” the constitutional passage . “I think you have a perfect right to buy weapons and keep them for protection or for sport. We have tried to make sure that you have it.

Bloomberg: No One Has ‘Defended the Second Amendment as Much as I Have’

Forgive me for doubting the Honorable Mayor Bloomberg's record on advocating for the RKBA. This was the first I ever heard of that notion. At least we now have Bloomberg, Obama and McCarthy, on record, acknowledging that the right to own firearms for self defense exists.
Old December 21, 2012, 11:19 AM   #157
Glenn E. Meyer

So when will Bloomberg argue for easing the gun laws for NYC for home protection. Right now, it is almost impossible to get a gun for home protection in the city.

But that's an interesting change that can be played. Let Mike say that he has no problem with folks having the myriad of less than 10 round handguns at home in NYC.

Lots of folks would be happy with 1911s or the current compact 9 mm guns.
Old December 21, 2012, 01:22 PM   #158
Idaho Spud

Mayor Bloomberg doesn't understand or acknowledge the intent of 2A: taking up arms against an oppressive government. Back in the day, home protection was taken for granted, logically assumed.
Old December 21, 2012, 01:48 PM   #159
zukiphile

He can have my 20 ounce soda when he pries it from my cold, satiated hand.
Old December 21, 2012, 01:53 PM   #160
coyota1

Bloomberg wanted Obama to circumvent congress in order bring about tougher gun laws. He doesn't seem to care, or understand the system of checks and balances.
Old December 21, 2012, 04:19 PM   #161
Davey

Obama posted a YouTube response to the AWB petition.

Destroy it with thumbs down please. Tell your friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=u5ynVMBxOus
Old December 25, 2012, 01:36 PM   #162
Glenn E. Meyer

Another gun friendly senator sees the light!

http://www.politico.com/story/2012/1...474.html?hp=r2

Geez. Do you have principles or not?

The Senator was chosen as a replacement to perhaps bring more conservative folks back to the Democrats. Sorry to be political for a touch but this is explanatory. Upstate is not NYC. However, if she has national ambitions then she has to march lock-step with the national party. Will this act against her - we will see when she runs again?

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; December 25, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old December 25, 2012, 02:14 PM   #163
Glenn E. Meyer

Kay Bailey - hey - you are from TX.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...6pLid%3D249428

Thanks alot.

A point is that many politicians have little knowledge of issues beyond sound bites. They will then switch opinions for emotional flares of the moment. This is well known in the decision making literature. The we have to do something mantra takes over in a fast mode as compared to longer rational thought processes.

They also feel self-important and have to say something on the tube. But there aren't tubes anymore - on the Plasma screen or LED?

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; December 25, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old December 25, 2012, 02:28 PM   #164
Davey

"In that article, Gillibrand said the Second Amendment itself allowed for regulations of weapons.
“As someone who believes in the Constitution and an individual’s right to bear arms, I believe the first place we should look for answers is in the Second Amendment itself,” she wrote, adding, “The words ‘well-regulated’ prove the Founding Fathers themselves understood the need to have reasonable limits."

Uh...didn't heller conclude that well regulated meant well trained?
Old December 25, 2012, 09:50 PM   #165
Technosavant

What they say in the press and what actually happens are two different things.

I really wonder if all those stating support for a nationwide AWB will end up pushing for a bill to clear committee and hit the floor for a vote. They could very easily state a desire for a ban and then work behind the scenes to ensure it never actually comes up for a vote (where they'd have to declare a side and be sure to lose votes one way or the other), then just blame the gun lobby for quashing it (we'll be the bad guys, but we've ALWAYS been the bad guys in this discussion).

Moreover, it will still have to clear the House (not a given) as well as get enough support to avoid a Senate filibuster (ditto).

I'm not saying a ban is impossible, but it's not a foregone conclusion. The more we contact our legislators the more likely it is that there won't be anything passing and getting signed into law.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:56 PM   #166
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
They could very easily state a desire for a ban and then work behind the scenes to ensure it never actually comes up for a vote
I think that's what the White House has already done. The issue has been punted to a Blue Ribbon panel.

A panel! And not just any panel, but a Blue Ribbon panel! Sounds pretty serious, right?

[cue obnoxious buzzer]

If I'm a politician, and I want to be perceived as taking action on an issue without actually taking any action, I'll refer the matter to a panel. For several months, the panel will dicker. They'll do research. They might conduct some interviews. After that, they'll present a nice little report in a pretty font with some graphs and charts. And that's about it.
Old December 25, 2012, 10:15 PM   #167
spaniel

"If I'm a politician, and I want to be perceived as taking action on an issue without actually taking any action, I'll refer the matter to a panel. For several months, the panel will dicker. They'll do research. They might conduct some interviews. After that, they'll present a nice little report in a pretty font with some graphs and charts. And that's about it."

In announcing the panel (I'm sure Obama's speech is online), he specifically stated that it would NOT but such a superficial panel. But, I hope you are correct Tom.
Old December 25, 2012, 10:47 PM   #168
Webleymkv

Quote:
Quote:
They could very easily state a desire for a ban and then work behind the scenes to ensure it never actually comes up for a vote
I think that's what the White House has already done. The issue has been punted to a Blue Ribbon panel.

A panel! And not just any panel, but a Blue Ribbon panel! Sounds pretty serious, right?

[cue obnoxious buzzer]

If I'm a politician, and I want to be perceived as taking action on an issue without actually taking any action, I'll refer the matter to a panel. For several months, the panel will dicker. They'll do research. They might conduct some interviews. After that, they'll present a nice little report in a pretty font with some graphs and charts. And that's about it.
I agree and I think it's also somewhat telling that Vice President Biden was put in charge of it. Without getting too political, Biden's usefulness to the administration throughout Obama's first term has been rallying the base and that's about it. Biden is, IMHO, too far left and too gaffe prone to be put in charge of something that must appeal to a wide audience and I think that the President and most of his party knows that.
Old December 26, 2012, 12:16 AM   #169
raimius

A Back-burner AWB that never gets out of committee would please me just fine.
If only we get so fortunate!
Old December 26, 2012, 12:37 AM   #170
Dr Big Bird PhD

If this backburner stuff is true, itll be the second thing I've liked Obama do as president. The first was get us out of Iraq
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 26, 2012, 12:48 AM   #171
paknheat

Don't forget that Biden was supposed to have authored the '94 ban, & it passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 26, 2012, 02:11 AM   #172
TheGoldenState

Quote:
I don't know about this one. This is less of a standard congressional-type panel with all the him-haw you listed, and rather a homework assignment (assigned to someone who has proven very 'good' at this type of assignment) with a FAST approaching due date.
Old December 26, 2012, 08:19 AM   #173
Webleymkv

Quote:
Don't forget that Biden was supposed to have authored the '94 ban, & it passed.
The political climate in 1993 was different than it was today. Not only did the Democrats have the Presidency, but also both houses of congress. Also, they lost congress the following year and President Clinton attributed that loss to the AWB. Finally, the role of a senator and that of Vice President are two very different things. Biden is a rather polarizing and partisan figure as are most VP's and the job of the VP, traditionally, has been to rally the base rather than reach across the aisle. Given that the Repubilcans still hold the House and the Democrats don't have a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate, there would have to be at least some Republican support for a new AWB and I can't help but think that if Obama really wanted to do something about gun control he would appoint someone with more bipartisan appeal to head the committee.

Last edited by Webleymkv; December 26, 2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old December 26, 2012, 10:57 AM   #174
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
If I'm a politician, and I want to be perceived as taking action ...
I hate to say it but that was the strategy used by PRO-gun politicians to kill campus carry in TX. There were the supposed votes but terrible pressure against it by University of Texas and Texas A&M. They are extremely powerful lobbies. Thus, the bill never made it on to the calendar due to chicanery. Gov. Perry had the power to assure it made it on the calendar for a vote but somehow didn't get around to it.

Thus,' progun folks ' could support it but OH, DEAR - we couldn't vote on it.

So it might happen hear. Make a fuss and let public interest decay.
Old December 26, 2012, 12:04 PM   #175
Technosavant

Quote:
Given that the Repubilcans still hold the House and the Democrats don't have a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate, there would have to be at least some Republican support for a new AWB and I can't help but think that if Obama really wanted to do something about gun control he would appoint someone with more bipartisan appeal to head the committee.
I really don't think we can assume this one is going to be party line split one way or the other. Some Republicans will certainly support a ban, some Democrats will certainly fight one.

It's going to be somewhat bipartisan on both sides- small minorities of both parties siding with the other side out of their own political realities. Despite the high emotion level on this issue, I don't see either party cracking the whip on their members to get everybody on board. It's not the hill the Democrats want to die on and the Republicans have hardly been an across the board benefit to the right to keep and bear arms. Meanwhile, they already have a fantastic scapegoat to blame if nothing gets done- us. They'll be quite happy to do nothing and blame the NRA and all gun owners.