The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 31, 2010, 08:39 PM   #1
TXAZ

Personal Laser Range?

Is anyone aware of a 'laser bullet' that you can put in your gun then fire at an electronic target? Any feedback on a particular system?

I have to believe there is something like this but my initial search not very fruitful.

Thanks.
Old October 31, 2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Gary L. Griffiths

Google "beamhit" or "laser shot."
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old October 31, 2010, 10:17 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

How about this...

http://www.firstshotcounts.com/
Old October 31, 2010, 11:46 PM   #4
kspain5

does that replicate recoil? is it caliber specific? i didn't see any specifics on the site.
Old November 1, 2010, 02:16 AM   #5
MLeake

Some replicate recoil; others don't

They had one of these for revolvers back in the 80's. Orlando PD demo'ed one at a fair.

My old reserve center had a laser target practice system for the M9, a few years ago.

At Fort Jackson, shot a rifle video system that used compressed air and a piston to simulate recoil with each shot.

Sorry, don't know the names of the different systems, but you can find what you want, assuming you have the $.
Old November 1, 2010, 03:11 AM   #6
hexidismal

I picked up one of the old Beamhit systems at a ridiculous steal from a nice 'ol fella on craigslist a few years back. I think its the Beamhit 110. They are normally what I would consider prohibitively expensive, but it's an excellent tool and quite fun. It consists of a receiver unit and a rod with a laser diode thing on the end of it that blinks the laser on when the vibration of of the hammer dropping triggers it. The laser can also be turned on in constant mode to align it properly with your sights. Uses a tiny hex key for alignment. The receiver has a couple of feedback options like a hit counter, a "beep" noise that can be turned off, and a shot timer. It also has some plastic covers that make the target area smaller. Obviously it doesn't simulate recoil, but I found it a great tool to get my point and hip shooting practiced without leaving the house and spending money on ammo. The firing ranges accessible to me don't typically appreciate people firing from the hip (and other such things), and reasonably so as most shooters unpracticed in such things won't exhibit a lot of control of where their shots are landing. So those skills would have been difficult for me to learn without this device. Besides that.. it's always a real big hit with firearm friendly company over at the house, as I find most people haven't seen such things before.

I think I picked up the whole kit along with the (.357,.38,9mm rod) for about $150 or so.. maybe $180.. I don't remember exactly.. but considering what they are asking for them on firstshotcounts.com , that's a hell of a deal.

One little thing worth mentioning is that while it works great in my 6" and 4" barreled smiths, in a 2.5" barrel gun the rod is too long and will bind the cylinder.

Here's a couple pics.

Old November 1, 2010, 04:35 PM   #7
JN01

I also have a Beamhit 110 that I bought years ago. Excellent training tool, in my opinion.