The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 22, 2007, 03:45 PM   #1
Homerboy

Thinking of retiring my revolvers

I have three revolvers, a Ruger SPNY, a S&W 642 with CTC grips, and a S&W 66 .357. I really like them, but I am thinking of selling at least the two .38's. Why? Well, last night at 1 AM I was awakened by a knock at the door. I grab the 642 and go to the door. I see a guy I recognize from the building and a guy in a maintenance outfit. The guy in the uniform (I've seen him around) is telling me that my toilet has a leak and id going into the other guy's apartment. My 642 is in my pocket and everything was as he said. he had to replace a rubber valve or something and he left with his apologies. After he left, I got to thinking. Most home invasions are several guys. Hit ratio in shooting are generally very low (cops hit less than 20% of the time), and even direct hits might not be enough to stop a guy before he gets to you. I have several semi auto's that I really like. Other than range use, I'm kind of wondering if I should bother with the revolver anymore. I'll probably keep them since I don't know how much I could get for them and I would not sell the 66, but I'm thinking for carry and nightstand gun, the auto's are the way to go. I must admit the 642 is so easy to carry. I'm just ranting here, I guess. I'll probably just let them sit in the safe, but the 1AM knock definitly got me thinking. With a pregnant wife in the next room, I want to be prepared for the worst, you know?
Old July 22, 2007, 04:36 PM   #2
Spenser

I'm not so sure. It sounds like you and the revolvers have quite a bit of history together. I'd think that if you are familiar with the revolvers, can hit what you're aiming at with them, and have confidence in them, I'd let them stick around.

Theoretically speaking, if you were to add a typical 1911 .45, you're not going to get more than about three extra shots.

I have a friend who has a dinosaur of a 1911. It's not at all fancy or slick. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that modern 1911's have. However, he can shoot that thing like you wouldn't believe. He loves that gun, and he can make it perform.

So if I had to have him take a shot that might save my life, I'd want him shooting the gun that he loves the most and feels the most confident in.

That's my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it....
Old July 22, 2007, 04:39 PM   #3
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Most home invasions are several guys.
More rounds can be better. But an auto that you forget to rack, forget to take the safety of on, or that jams on the first shot is worth alot less than a reliable revolver anyday.

I am moore curious as to what info the statement you made above is based.
Old July 22, 2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Homerboy

I'm a retired cop. I have responded to many home invasions, not to mention just reading about them now that I'm retired. I do like my revolvers, but I shoot better with my semi autos. My 642 is a gun I can hit with, especially with the laser grips, but my groupings are tighter with the semi autos, and the are more pleasant to shoot. I have been a big revolver advocate, and I don't see the benefit to carrying a 6 shot semi auto vs. a 5 shot revolver. No jamming, option of pocket shooting body contact shots are big plusses. I'm just saying that if it HAD been a home invasion, I'd be kind of screwed with a 5 shot .38. Next time, he's not coming in, regardless of the circumstances. I only let him in because I recognized him and he is a hell of a good worker, but 1AM is 1AM. At the very least, the semi auto will be with me next time. For carry in the summer, I'll stick with the 642. It's so light.
Old July 22, 2007, 05:00 PM   #5
Playboypenguin

The part I am questioning is the "several guys" part. I am an ex-LEO also and every statistic I ever saw showed about 90% or more of invasions consisted of 2 or less people...the vast majority of the time just one person.

I also seldom ever saw a shooting, that resulted from a home invasion scenerio, that involved more than one or two shots being fired by the homeowner. So it seems to me the easier to use and more reliable revolver would be the better choice. Depending on how well you can shoot a revolver compared to a semi-auto of course.

The statistics I see on local crime seems to back that up too. maybe it is different where you live.
Old July 22, 2007, 06:42 PM   #6
oldbillthundercheif

In a home-invasion type of deal, I think a handgun would be best used to get you to a rifle or shotgun. Five or six rounds of .357 would probably do that job.
Old July 22, 2007, 06:47 PM   #7
Homerboy

Well, the home invasions I've dealt with are generally 3-5 guys. You need at least one to watch the victims, and the others ransack the house. I'm aware that most gun fights end in less than 3 shots, also. Just got me thinking. First time I ever answered the door in my underwear ready to shoot.
Old July 22, 2007, 07:21 PM   #8
Don Lu

I feel the main part is
Quote:
but I shoot better with my semi autos.
. thats what it all comes down to...no need to have guns that you cant hit your target with..I love my revos, but I can hit w/them...if your shhot better w/ semis's, just make sure you have a reliable semi.
Old July 23, 2007, 02:56 AM   #9
BikerRN

On-Duty: I carry a "bottomfeeder".

Off-Duty: I carry an N-Frame behind the strong side hip and a J-Frame in the support side pocket. I also carry a reload for each Revolver. I shoot Revolvers and Autoloaders about equal.

House-Gun: Whatever I grab until I can "fight" my way to the carbine or the shotgun, usually a Glock 19

Biker
Old July 23, 2007, 08:07 AM   #10
Para Bellum

Glock 26/27 conceals better than any revolver and carries 11 - 33 rounds depending on the magazine you use.
Old July 23, 2007, 09:38 AM   #11
j-framer

Quote:
Glock 26/27 conceals better than any revolver and carries 11 - 33 rounds depending on the magazine you use.
Without trying to precipitate a sniping match, that is simply false for almost all modes of carry. A small-frame revolver, while its measurements in all three dimensions will probably match or slightly exceed those of the G26/G27, lends itself far better to pocket or ankle carry, and to most methods of deep concealment (belly bands, Thunderwear, shirt holsters, etc.).

The numbers don't tell the whole story. Though a small revolver is technically thicker, this maximum thickness occurs for only a very small portion of the whole package. After that, the revo is much thinner overall and nestles very nicely in all manner of small, dark places on your body.

I am a big Glock fan, by the way. Considering concealment alone, I just don't think they can prevail against something like Homerboy's 642.

Back on topic:

Quote:
...but I'm thinking for carry and nightstand gun, the auto's are the way to go. I must admit the 642 is so easy to carry.
Sounds as though your answer lies in that quote. I would retain the 642 in its current role of carry gun, and get a semi-auto for a house gun if it makes you feel better.
Old July 23, 2007, 09:58 AM   #12
bcarver

why choose?

I keep a 66 and a glock 40 on the nightstand.
I feel comfortable with both and the wife can get the other one if she wakes up.
Old July 23, 2007, 11:36 AM   #13
skeeter1

I do love my semi-auto Beretta Cheetah and it's the first one I grab for when I'm just going out to have fun.

However, in a high-anxiety, most-likely nighttime defensive situation, I'll go with one of the revolvers. After shooting revolvers for 50 years, operating them comes intuitively to me. I'm confident that 5 or 6 shots of .38Spl+Ps will be enough to get me out of a bad way.
Old July 23, 2007, 01:06 PM   #14
Mannlicher

Homerboy
Quote:
and most home invasions are druggie against druggie. If you are not dealing dope on a commercial scale, you have more chance of winning the lottery than being targeted for a home invasion.
Its pretty much a non issue for normal folks.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old July 23, 2007, 02:00 PM   #15
workinwifdakids

My dad

The old man scares me with a revolver. He went through the academy with the [deleted] P.D. in the early 70's. He holds the revolver one-handed, and just plugs away one round at a time and is very accurate.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, there may be no reason at all to feel undergunned if you're comfortable with a gun in a respectable caliber. Hope that helps.
Old July 23, 2007, 02:08 PM   #16
Creature

If you do decide to sell any of them, please let me know!
Old July 23, 2007, 02:54 PM   #17
BikerRN

Keep the Revolvers for carry and get a "bottomfeeder" for Home Defense.

Personally I keep a carbine and a shotgun for entrenched home defense and the handgun is for clearing the house and fighting my way to my long gun.

Biker
Old July 23, 2007, 05:32 PM   #18
easyG

Quote:
Most home invasions are several guys. Hit ratio in shooting are generally very low (cops hit less than 20% of the time), and even direct hits might not be enough to stop a guy before he gets to you. I have several semi auto's that I really like. Other than range use, I'm kind of wondering if I should bother with the revolver anymore.
I've been back and forth on the "auto vs revolver" issue myself, many times.
But I have finally come out of the dark ages and these days I prefer the auto.

Most modern autos are very reliable and, all other things being equal, more bullets is better.
But what really pushed me over was when my trusty .38 revolver jammed on me at the range.
Yep, bang, bang,....nothing.
The cylinder locked up and would not budge.
It took a gunsmith to get it moving again.
So while autos can jam, the problem is usually easy to fix rather quickly...not so if a revolver jams.
Old July 23, 2007, 07:28 PM   #19
David Armstrong

Quote:
That is rather questionable in my experience, and more importantly my experience also is that if you show that you are a hard target the baadguys will go away most of the time. So the revolver is quite sufficient for the task. Now, if you happen to get the unusual oddball event, having a whole bunch of bullets won;t make that much difference either. If you are comfortable with the revolvers keep them, they are a good choice.
Old July 23, 2007, 09:17 PM   #20
ace1001

Keep what you are familiar with. Ace
Old July 24, 2007, 10:04 AM   #21
crankshop1000

I would take the 642 with the crimson trace any time. It is as close to a combat revolver that there is. KEEP IT!!! The 1911 you mentioned that your friend has is the only other pistol I would opt for. I have both with the laser sights and I don't lust for anything "better". Chuck.
Old July 24, 2007, 12:25 PM   #22
seeker_two

Split the difference....get an 8-shot N-frame revolver....

But oldbillthundercheif is right...5-6 shots should be enough to get you to the shotgun....
Old July 24, 2007, 09:22 PM   #23
Homerboy

You think this guy was a drug dealer who got capped by other drug dealers?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...invasion_N.htm
Old July 24, 2007, 10:31 PM   #24
Doc TH

Revolver?

Long-term study by NYPD found average number of shots fired by both sides in cop-perp shootings was less than 3. Major factor associated with stopping the fight was not rounds fired or caliber, but shot placement. Having said that, go with whatever makes you feel most comfortable. For me, it's either a S&W 13 3" 357 or a 686+ (7 round) 357 until I can get to my 12 gauge.
Old July 25, 2007, 05:31 AM   #25
Homerboy

As retired NYPD, I'm calling BS. maybe back in the day when cops carried revolvers, but every cop shooting I've ever responded to was far more than 3. The one time I fired my gun I had no idea how many I let go (turned out to be 11).