The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old May 5, 2006, 12:10 PM   #1
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Holmes v. South Carolina

Decided Monday, May 1, 2006.

Since Samuel Alito was appointed and confirmed to the Supreme Court, several of us have been waiting to find how he rules on cases before the Court. Well, here's the first one. the ruling in Holmes v. South Carolina was unanimous and the opinion was written by Alito. It is a mere 14 pages and should be an easy read.

I found the reasoning of this decision to be sound. I also found Alito's writing to be clear, concise and to the point. He applied a logic that was easy to follow, from start to finish.

I am now looking forward to read any dissents he writes.

That said, I still haven't formed a concrete opinion of where Alito stands on many of the issues that confront us, on a daily basis.
Old May 5, 2006, 12:37 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Great opinion. The manner in which the Court cited inequity in the State's ability to quash exculpatory testimony while the Defendant has no reciprocal right to quash incriminating testimony is heartening.

Cudos on the ruling.
Rich
Old May 5, 2006, 03:38 PM   #3
Harley Quinn

I believe it is an easy ruling, Safe.

As far as the results, I firmly believe that the Supreme Justice feel's the man is guilty and should have a complete defense so that this type of thing will not be hanging over the courts head.

The verdict will be guilty later, (IMO) but for now they just go back and argue what has not been entered to review and then find him guilty if their evidence is that strong.

More then likely the other person will also be found as an accomplice, and end up in the bucket also.

Good decision.

HQ