The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 5, 2005, 11:32 AM   #1
arthurrh

Browning BAR accuracy problems

I'm helping a friend out with his Browning BAR in .30-06. As the barrel gets warm the shots string vertically across about 5 inches. Anyone have experience trying to get good accuracy out of a BAR?

I'm thinking probably bedding, but since this is an auto with a short forearm I wasn't sure.
Old January 5, 2005, 02:20 PM   #2
johnbt

I don't have a clue. The folks I know who have used them for years never shoot more than 2 shots at a time, although it's usually just one shot. My father did shoot 3 rapid shots once with his .280 - he got both deer and as it turned out the third shot was not necessary because the deer was dead on its feet and just hadn't toppled over yet. His brother still ribs him about wasting ammo on that last shot. Not bad shooting for an old man of 70+.

I can't wait to see my uncle and give him a hard time. Last week he took two shots at a deer from about 75 yards and missed both of them with his .30-06. I hear the deer just stood there and looked at him the whole time. His scope had gone bad sometime in the two weeks since he shot his last deer.

John
Old January 11, 2005, 02:27 PM   #3
arthurrh

Well the rapid shots just happens to be the shooting style of this guy. His philosophy seems to be fill the magazine, then empty it on the target. Which is good if you like your meat leaded.

If we can get a weekend without rain I plan on taking the gun to the range and seeing what it will actually do with careful patient shooting before I make any fixes.
Old January 11, 2005, 05:36 PM   #4
mete

Vertical stringing is usually a bedding problem.